Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the movie coming out in a few months (the actors are far too old), interest in Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is on the rise. Will Wildman of Something Short and Snappy is slowly posting a gigantic deconstruction of the novel. I've read the book a couple/few times, but when I was much, much younger and less wise. Thinking about it now, I could see a few issues myself, but Wildman points out many, many more (and he's not even halfway through the book as I write this). All while trying to praise Card's writing skills.

Edited to add: SPOILERS BELOW!

This link will take you to all the postings so far (in reverse chronological order), but I thought I'd link to the individual posts in correct order, too:

And Speaker for the Dead:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  16:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this looks fun. Looking forward to digging in when I get the time. Thanks for all the links!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  00:43:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah yeah yeah, why do people keep spinning out the same old tired criticisms of this book? It wont stop it being popular. The protagonist is smart, misunderstood and always in the right no matter what terrible things he's FORCED to do. That theme will ALWAYS be popular with nerdy introverts and semi-autistic-wannabe-savant outcasts everywhere, we're all aware of the shortcomings and shallow appeal of the book. I wish some of these critics would stop trying to make a name by bashing something popular. Why can't they do a critique on "Man of Steel" instead, that movie was enormously overrated.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 07/13/2013 00:45:25
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  05:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, yeah, yeah, people shouldn't do things you think are boring, they should do things other people might find boring instead.

In this case, a literary critic should become a movie critic, so that instead of bashing a popular book, he'd bash a popular movie.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  22:02:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem isn't that it's boring, the problem is that it's completely unoriginal and therefore redundant.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  23:27:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed Ender's Game...before I knew the author was wacko.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  03:12:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

The problem isn't that it's boring, the problem is that it's completely unoriginal and therefore redundant.
Not to some of us. Perhaps the real problem is that the original, non-redundant deconstruction hasn't been publicized as widely as possible.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  13:52:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I enjoyed Ender's Game...before I knew the author was wacko.

I enjoyed and still enjoy it. Yes it's shallow and flawed but it is fun, or was when I first read it.
The wacko-ness of the author does not affect (much) my enjoyment of the work.
That said, f*k OSC with a pole.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  18:05:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last part of chapter seven is up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  06:23:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's going to post new bits every week, now, in order to finish before the movie is released.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  07:08:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part two of chapter eight is now up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  17:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

... (the actors are far too old) ...

Welcome Back Kotter extreme of too old?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  18:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Welcome Back Kotter extreme of too old?
The kid I saw in the trailer looked between 10 and 12, so about twice as old as the character in the book.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2013 :  18:50:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha!
...Card successfully predicted big-name bloggers, sockpuppets, the end of the USSR, and the continued popularity of vitriolic jingoism. He completed failed to predict facebook, lolcats, upvotes, or blog deconstructions. I think we all know which have had a bigger impact on the social role of the internet in the world.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  07:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter nine, part two, in which alternative interpretations abound

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  05:30:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooops:
So this post is a week late because I thought I forgot my book at home while in Hawaii, and only discovered too late that I had actually packed it more securely and secretly than I remembered.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.