Community Forums
 General Discussion
 The COLOUR problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Johnny Monoxide

1 Post

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  01:50:02  Show Profile Send Johnny Monoxide a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What skeptical or scientifc resources do we have that can help us deal with the problems of colour? There are at least 5 problems that look inaccesible to materialist science. Here they are:

1. The validation of colour. Can a machine tell us what colour something is? Can such a machine's assessment of "red" be more accurate than a visual assessment?

2. The placement of colour. If colour is in the brain, where is it? If it is in the occiptal lobe is it really "in" it, like objects inside a bag?

3. The reality of colour. If colour is real then does the brain get heavier when we perceive colour?

4. The spatial inconsistency of colour. I can see two colours in the same place when I wear glasses with different coloured lenses. So why can't actual objects have two colours? Does this show that the visual world is different to the world of science but no less real?

5. The ontological inconsistency of colour. If colour is electromagnetic radiation or photons then why are some invisible and some not? is invisibilty a real property that science can develop?

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  02:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Johnny Monoxide

What skeptical or scientifc resources do we have that can help us deal with the problems of colour? There are at least 5 problems that look inaccesible to materialist science.
There isn't a problem with colour the way you seem to think. Not in a strictly scientific sense.

1. The validation of colour. Can a machine tell us what colour something is? Can such a machine's assessment of "red" be more accurate than a visual assessment?
The light spectrum just "is". There is no "red" to the machine as such. "Red" is in the Eye of the Beholder. It's in humans perception and language. We only tell the machine to recognise an arbitrary span of light wavelengths (800nm to 635nm) and define this spectrum as "red" when in fact it consists of "Deep red", "red", "Ferrari-red", and "red-close to orange".

The machine will tell us the colour depending on what colour we want the machine to tell us. This is not a scientific problem, but a human perception problem. You may Think a certain wavelength is "red" while I say it's "orange".

2. The placement of colour. If colour is in the brain, where is it? If it is in the occiptal lobe is it really "in" it, like objects inside a bag?
The Place is on the object obviously. As long as the colour is in the paint bucket, it's in a bucket. When you paint it on a wall, you place it there.
It's usually not healthy to sniff paint, which is one of the ways it can get into the occiptal lobe. Once there the cat is out of the bag.

3. The reality of colour. If colour is real then does the brain get heavier when we perceive colour?
That's a really good question. The brain consumes a lot of energy processing the perception of colour, however, that energy is primarily expended by ordering the structure of the neurons, not necessarily make more of them. I suppose new pathways have to form, and as long as it isn't done at the expense of other pathways, then yes: the brain will get heavier.

4. The spatial inconsistency of colour. I can see two colours in the same place when I wear glasses with different coloured lenses. So why can't actual objects have two colours? Does this show that the visual world is different to the world of science but no less real?
There is only one world: the real one. What you see without your glasses is your perception of the world as your eyes see them and how your brain interpret what your eyes see. By using glasses with two differently coloured glasses, you are filtering the light which your eyes see, and thus what you see through the glasses is a distorted view of reality.

5. The ontological inconsistency of colour. If colour is electromagnetic radiation or photons then why are some invisible and some not? is invisibilty a real property that science can develop?
There is no inconsistency. Some (actually, most) photons are invisible to you because the human eye is not capable of detecting photons outside the visible spectrum.

It's like an FM car radio. The radio can only receive 88-108MHz because the antenna and the receiver circuit isn't designed to receive more channels than this, because it's unnessessary or unwanted (or very hard to accomplish).
Below 88MHz are some TV-channels which will mostly sound like static, and below that, and the physical size of capacitors and coils in the circuits become too large and bulky to fit. This is a hardware problem, thus an engineering problem, not a scientific one.
Above 108MHz there's aviation and marine Communication which is uninteresting for the average car owner. Above that, some of the transistors in the Car Radio doesn't work because they can't oscillate fast enough. Again, this is not a science problem but a hardware ie engineering problem.

This analogy applies to the eye as well: The properties of the individual components of the eye is limiting the spectrum that it can detect.

True invisibility cannot be achieved (quantum mechanic properties of matter precludes that). But there are ways to fool the human eye, and electronic equipment.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  04:40:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

That's a really good question. The brain consumes a lot of energy processing the perception of colour, however, that energy is primarily expended by ordering the structure of the neurons, not necessarily make more of them. I suppose new pathways have to form, and as long as it isn't done at the expense of other pathways, then yes: the brain will get heavier.
Don't forget Special Relativity. If the brain has more energy flowing around in it due to color perception, then it'll get heavier because E=mc2.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  07:28:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As funny as that is, it does raise the question of how it might be tested.

We might be able to test that concept. Batteries are chemical based electrical storage devices. The electrical potential being greater in a charged vs discharged battery, one should be able to measure the difference in weight between the two.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  07:55:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A fully charged ideal battery (one with no internal resistance) with a voltage of 1.5 V and storing 1 coulomb of charge would indeed be about 0.017 picograms heavier than when completely drained.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  14:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I didn't say so before I was thinking of a bigger battery.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  15:09:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The machine will tell us the colour depending on what colour we want the machine to tell us. This is not a scientific problem, but a human perception problem. You may Think a certain wavelength is "red" while I say it's "orange".

See: daltonism. One person's perception of 'red' does not necessarily equal another's.
When in doubt, trust Pantone ;)

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  21:14:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

See: daltonism. One person's perception of 'red' does not necessarily equal another's.

Heh. To me, ham is Williamsburg Blue and Halloween Pumpkins are the same color as a lush plot of grass. The latter caused much amusement at a friend's Halloween party when I tripped over a small pumpkin in his front yard.

Color perception is a funny thing. The brain blends multiple colors into one. An object may indeed be two distinct colors like fabric woven from two different colors of thread, but at sufficient distance you combine them into a single color.

Many people don't even see colors in the same way with each eye. Find a pattern with medium areas of many different colors and look at it while alternating blinking each eye shut. See if an area "flashes" between each eye viewing it. (Color blindness - daltonism - test charts are the best for this experiment.)

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  21:25:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Although I didn't say so before I was thinking of a bigger battery.
The energy-to-mass conversion scales linearly. One joule equals 0.017 picograms. Ten joules would be 0.17 picograms. One megajoule would be 17 nanograms. Etc.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  14:40:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tw101356

Originally posted by Siberia

Heh. To me, ham is Williamsburg Blue and Halloween Pumpkins are the same color as a lush plot of grass. The latter caused much amusement at a friend's Halloween party when I tripped over a small pumpkin in his front yard.

Color perception is a funny thing. The brain blends multiple colors into one. An object may indeed be two distinct colors like fabric woven from two different colors of thread, but at sufficient distance you combine them into a single color.

Many people don't even see colors in the same way with each eye. Find a pattern with medium areas of many different colors and look at it while alternating blinking each eye shut. See if an area "flashes" between each eye viewing it. (Color blindness - daltonism - test charts are the best for this experiment.)

A friend's father had that. It was amusing when he drew a rose that to us was blue with a brown stem rather than the usual red and green.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds.