Christianity and Other Superstitions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

StephenG97

1 Post

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  13:48:08  Show Profile Send StephenG97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christianity and Other Superstitions is an account that calls into question the foundation of religions and how they affect us all in the modern world.
Starting with the basic fears in early man that led to his creation of gods and religions, it traces the development of ancient myths and superstitions to the births of Christianity and Islam from Mideast pagan beliefs to their present day doctrines and practices.
It shows how the biblical stories of Jesus have been taken out of context and falsified by the clergy throughout history in order to promote their earthly goals.
Islam and its prophet Muhammad, are examined historically and philosophically. The influence of Islam in the world is shown in general and specific to the acts of terrorism seen today. It exposes the history and context of the passages in the Koran that are most responsible for this violence.
Explored also, are fanatic groups such as; The Peoples Temple of Jim Jones, Scientology and David Koresh's Branch Davidians. The background of the Mormon religion should convince most readers that it too exhibits its own brand of fanaticism.
The inner workings of the Catholic Church shows it's involvement and cover-up of the epidemic of sexual abuse among its clergy. Individual cases and the connection to the hierarchy are examined. This connects the former pope to aiding and abetting criminal pedophile priests during his twenty four year term as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith [formally known as the Congregation for the Inquisition]. It spends time venturing into an up-to-the-minute and detailed exposé of crimes against humanity by the Roman Catholic Church, crimes that were reviewed, condoned, and kept secret by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger AKA Pope Benedict XVI. A call for the arrest and trial of the ex-pope, himself, would be a certainty were he outside of the realm, privileges and protection of Vatican City.

Stephen Gunn, author
ISBN-10: 1470134527
Softcover, 376 pages
Non Fiction
Availability: The book is available on Amazon.com

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  19:31:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your post reads to be very comprehensive and intriguing Stephen. Is this just spam or do you wish to interact? I'm probably talking to myself, as your unlikely to not ever to return but you might surprise me and prove me wrong.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  02:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he's talking about a book which seems highly relevant to some of the subject matters we discuss here at SFN.
I wonder how extensive his sources are.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beetlerod
Spammer

7 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  02:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beetlerod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you posted was very disturbing and riveting at the same time, i think you better check your facts first before posting anything like this. I also think that we should all respect each others religion.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  20:14:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by beetlerod

I also think that we should all respect each others religion.

I tend to ridicule those who believe things without evidence (see sig.). Not everytime in every occasion but whenever I think it just might strike up some dialog......or you're a jehovah's witness knocking on my door.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  11:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I strongly disagree. Religions are fairytales, and they lead to magical thinking which when acted upon can be quite harmful.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  01:38:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I could not disagree with you more. Explain to me what is respectable about religious beliefs that justify believers murdering people that offend an imaginary god?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  09:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we should defend people's right to have a religion on civil rights grounds, but I also think it's okay to attack religion in general on rational grounds. I have friends who are people of faith, and there is really nothing I can do about it. If what they bring to the table is mostly rational, I can live with that. It could be that religion is so pervasive because at one time it confirmed a survival advantage. We are seeing that it's as old as humanity is itself.

Of course, I will fight tooth and nail when people of faith take anti-science positions and try to create laws based on them, or try to get religion into public schools by way of teaching creationism.

The percentage of people who are walking away from religion is growing. Religiosity in the west is on the decline. But hey... We have a long way to go.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpring

Philippines
4 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  22:29:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AutumnSpring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have nothing against different beliefs, although there are numerous Christians who still hold on to their superstitious beliefs.

AutumnSpring
Go to Top of Page

MagicMissy
Banned

Philippines
45 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  08:40:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MagicMissy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most superstitions are a result of upbringing, family beliefs from generation to generation. Also, sometimes people may believe in superstition when they are old enough to realize that there are things they are open to believing. Either way, it's actually okay - for me that is. :)

MagicMissy
Go to Top of Page

SGunn

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  16:54:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Your post reads to be very comprehensive and intriguing Stephen. Is this just spam or do you wish to interact? I'm probably talking to myself, as your unlikely to not ever to return but you might surprise me and prove me wrong.

sss
Go to Top of Page

SGunn

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  17:02:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, well, here I am, 5 years later. I had forgotten all about this website. I’m sorry. I think I missed a lot of discussions I would like to have taken part in. So, what’s new?
Stephen Gunn author of “Christianity and Other Superstitions”.

sss
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  22:49:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Stephen, if you're going to stick around and participate for a little bit...
The influence of Islam in the world is shown in general and specific to the acts of terrorism seen today. It exposes the history and context of the passages in the Koran that are most responsible for this violence.
How do you reconcile the above distinctly anti-Islam position with the fact that the vast majority of terrorist acts in the U.S. are the fault of Christians acting in their gods' name? All the Columbines and Mandalay Bays added together don't come close to the number of victims of abortion clinic violence, gay-bashings, KKK nonsense and other folks who insisted the Christian god was on their side (obviously not all-inclusive lists). Really, the 9/11 body count is a small percentage of just the KKK's victims.

I'm not saying that belief in certain Islamic crappola isn't responsible for lots of violence. I'm saying that things should be kept in perspective.

Hell, if we include terrorist acts outside the U.S., the Inquisitions and the Crusades probably ensure that Islamic terrorism is a single-digit percentage of the religiously inspired carnage.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

SGunn

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  11:11:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Dave W. You certainly rock!

Americans killing Americans has nothing to do with religion. They kill each other without knowing the religion of their victim. Do you think that on the South Side of Chicago all the churches are full on Sunday morning? The gun culture in America is the problem.

In 2014, PolitiFact said "Americans are 20 times as likely to die from gun violence as citizens of other civilized countries."

In September of 2016 the media was discussing terrorism. They were covering bombings in New York and New Jersey and a Minnesota mall stabbing attack in which nine people injured, but no deaths of innocent people resulted in any of these incidents. However, Chicago, in the previous month of August, had 90 gun killings which was more than all the deaths by firearms, bombs, stabbings and arson in the United States caused by Islamic terrorism for the previous 10 years. The anxiety in America regarding terrorism is perplexing in its indifference concerning firearm homicides is ridiculous.

The total number of Europeans killed by Islamic Terrorists in the previous 10 years ending where the records go until 2015 Wikipedia: Terrorism in Europe is 195, whether by guns, bombs, stabbings or trucks driven through a crowd. That is 0.52 % of the number of Americans killed by Americans with firearms alone for the single year of 2015. In the United States the number gun fatalities in 2016 was 37,200. University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation

That is 61 times more than people killed in Europe by Islamic Terrorists.

Consequently, when the president of the United States uses his executive powers to ban more than 200 million people from entering the country, apparently in the concern of terrorism, and then, a few days later, the House of Representatives relaxes background checks for gun ownership, it is of no surprise to many that the nation has a strange relationship with rationality.

http://planetamericathebook.com/

sss
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  20:36:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by SGunn

The anxiety in America regarding terrorism is perplexing in its indifference concerning firearm homicides is ridiculous.
Which is one of the reasons I asked you why, in your 2013 post, above, you went out of your way to mention the religious roots of Islamic terrorism, but not Christian terrorism.

A question you did not answer. Instead, you ranted about gun culture.

I don't disagree with you about gun culture in the U.S., I just disagree that going off on a tear about it is an answer to the question I asked.

You also said:
Americans killing Americans has nothing to do with religion.
Ha! Tell that one to George Tiller.

No, the vast majority of homicides in the U.S. have nothing to do with religion, but they also have nothing to do with terrorism. Unless you want to assert (for just one example) that every 7-11 holdup gone bad is an act of terrorism. No, your claim in your initial post was about "the influence of Islam in the world" and its relation "to the acts of terrorism seen today," not random gun violence.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

SGunn

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  09:46:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was prepared to write my answer but this is easier -

The Qur'an tells Muslims to kill and go to war to fight for Islam: Quran, chapters (Surahs) 9:5; 2:191; 2:193; 3:118; 4:75,76; 5:33, 8:12; 8:65; 9:73,123; 33:60-62.
Fight for Allah: "And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers, (Quran 2:191).
Muslims are to battle for Allah: "Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil. Lo! the devil's strategy is ever weak," (Quran 4:76).
Kill those against Islam: "The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter," (Quran 5:33).
Beheading: "When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger. 13That is because they opposed Allah and His messenger. Whoso opposeth Allah and His messenger, (for him) lo! Allah is severe in punishment," (Quran 8:12).
Allah urges war: "O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a hundred of you they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand," (Quran 8:65).
Slay non-Muslims: "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful," (Quran 9:5).
Allah urges war: "O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination," (Quran 9:73).
Allah urges war: "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness; and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil)," (Quran 9:123).
Allah urges killing: " . . . the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is a disease and the agitators in the city do not desist . . . 61Cursed: wherever they are found they shall be seized and murdered, a (horrible) murdering. 62(Such has been) the course of Allah with respect to those who have gone before; and you shall not find any change in the course of Allah, (Quran 33:60-62).
Beheading: "Now when ye meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when ye have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens . . . " (Quran 47:4).
Allah loves those who fight for him: "Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure," (Quran 61:4).

sss
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.