BigPapaSmurf: 2-infinite players board game
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  17:50:13  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BigPapaSmurf, you had mentioned in the Tabel Top thread that good games are scaleable down to 2v2. Well then, I created a board game that scales between two players and a maximum number of players that's limited by token quantity and room space. It has been tested and adjusted and has been released to the public for beta testing.

http://rainbowfactorygame.com or http://ponykilling.com

Your input would be appreciated, thanks.

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  06:52:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You asked for it pal!

Well after briefly going over the rules and not actually playing, I'd say you have the same problem virtually every game has, the rules were written by the creator! Totally confusing, first and formost the D, U, R abbreviation is a problem... No reason to use it at all, only makes it much harder to learn and the premise is mighty confusing for anyone not familiar with the rainbow brony thing you are basing this on.... You say there are no "turns" but there has to be some order to drawing cards... that is turns, even if they arent technically "turns" still call them that for peoples brains to feel safe and familiar..

You cannot possibly help people too much, board notes and card explanations to get them into the actual story you are trying to convey, right now you could ignore all references to ponies and the new player would be seeing the game no different. Here's a card from my Axis and Allies deck I made,

Header- "Stalin doesn't get bad news!"
subheader- "Fear of leadership has led to a failure in command and control!"
business text- "Target infantry cannot participate in the current battle, it the battle is lost for that side, remove the unit."
"play this card before battle in a location you are being attacked"

Without the top two lines it's just a "here I guess Ill play this thing" card...Most printers can accept 3x5 cards in their trays, blank ones work great for games.

good luck T!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  12:39:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the straightforward feedback, Smurf! A couple of gamers have helped edit the rules but they're hardcore and were fine with the abbreviations, ha. I took your advice but I'll keep the abbreviations on the cards for now, or perhaps use icons.

The important thing is that it's fun. Even in the broken alpha version, the secret bidding mechanism was fun especially with several players. And now it has a happy ending, when before it was an inevitable grind towards starvation and doom, whee.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  19:17:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's up to version 0.3, thanks to long discussions into the night with a couple of sharp & competitive gamers. Casual gamers enjoyed it too, and one in particular really enjoyed killing the ponies, lol.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  07:03:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This would be a complete change but have you considered a version where one player plays as Discord vs. everyone else?

On the narritive section I think you need to add the part about keeping the unethical stuff secret from Celestia by keeping the workers in the dark about what is really going on.

Also you might as well de-Hasboro this thing, Hasboro and Milton Bradley are evil, they will destroy you with lawyers!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  21:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good ideas, BigPapaSmurf, thanks. Narrative updated. I'll work on changing the pony names to non-Hasbro fan names (e.g. Derpy instead of Ditzy Doo), and perhaps the Discord player could be an expansion. Hmm.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  18:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Continued de-Hasbro-ing...

It's not the land of Equestria, it's Equusia!

He's not Discord, he's Khaos! (The Greek god of air, so appropriate for the bringing of weather catastrophes in the game)
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  20:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A major update: An option to deal loyalty cards (kinda like in the Battlestar Galactica game) to players to determine if they're mind-controlled and work against the team. Players can accuse other players of being corrupted and vie/bid to have them executed. A fun psychological twist.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.