Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  06:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by On fire for Christ

For me it's not a surprise that the USA tortures and spies on people.
For someone who thinks the end justify the means, it's no surprise to me that you're not surprised.
It's no surprise to me either, but for a very different reason.

I am also not surprised. The spying on allies is expected but there are some lines you don't cross. And torture was one of those things that a bunch of nations got together and said they weren't going to do it anymore. Hard to take the higher moral ground when you are beating the crap out of people for fun (because using torture as an intelligence gathering effort sucks).

Were people really so naive and comfortable in their suburban lives that they thought spying and torture suddenly stopped in the mid half of the 20th century after being in common practice for all recordable human history?
Hell yes. USA are the good guys. Americans wouldn't do such things!

America wants to show by example how to do things. Torture BY the US should have stopped in the mid half of the 20th century.

The only thing Snowden did was bring some spying out in the open and therefore slightly embarass the USA.
Which is a nobel cause in and of itself, in my opinion. (did you hear that, NSA? I wish your great country embarressment!)

Might want to watch that, Mab. Never know when the Commanding Idiot might order a drone strike.

I'm sure everyone who has the means will continue to spy on as many people as they can.
I'm sure of that too, that's why I'm for restricting those means.

I am also sure of this. It was the main reason for FISA and the court. I insist that the government jump through the hoops that is set up for itself. Or do we want another COINTELPRO? I sure as hell don't.

And I'm not sure that it's a bad thing.
I am. The East German STAZI shows us how bad things can get when data collection and its use get out of hand. NSA and CIA are just government bodies. Google and FaceBook knows a lot more about you than you know or care to admit, and are trading your information for profit. The problem with that is that Corporations aren't working on democratic principles. Those are plutocratic, which means that only those who have a shitload of money gets to dictate how your information is being used.
Mega Corporations are like dictatorship countries except they are borderless, and almost everywhere.

Not sure that it is a bad thing? Giving up essential liberties for temporary safety? Saying that information that is private should remain so because everyone has something that they don't talk about. In some cases, if it were exposed and exaggerated that one's ability to find employment would be severely impacted. Is this the world you want, OFfC?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  08:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the world i want is a long way away from the world that china and russia are prepared to let me live in.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  09:19:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

the world i want is a long way away from the world that china and russia are prepared to let me live in.

But yet you are advocating for the US to become more like them. Even excusing the behavior.

This is logically inconsistant with your desire to be in a free society.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds.