Naturopathy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  17:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scott Gavura's Naturopathy vs. Science: Allergy Edition is a good read. A taste:
I started researching naturopathy, and what I learned concerned me. Regular readers to the blog will be familiar with naturopathy, but depending on where you live, the likelihood that you may encounter a naturopath (or someone that consults one) may vary. Naturopathy has been described at SBM as a chimera, something that’s imagined, but in reality is illusory or impossible to achieve. That’s an apt description for naturopathy, as the practice is a strange assortment of unorthodox, discarded, and disparate alternative health practices, linked by a philosophy based on pre-scientific ideas of medicine. The central belief, vitalism, posits that living beings have a “life force” not found in inanimate objects. Vitalism as a hypothesis in medicine was reasonable 200 years ago, but despite being disproved by Wöhler in 1828, it continues to thrive in naturopathy. Naturopathic treatment ideas are grounded in the idea of restoring this “energy”, rather than being based on objective science. It is perhaps unsurprising that disparate practices like homeopathy, acupuncture and herbalism are all part of naturopathy, yet don’t cause any cognitive dissonance for its practitioners. Given there’s no need to justify or rationalize practices in scientific terms, pretty much anything goes, as long as it aligns with this belief system. To be fair, not all naturopath advice is bunk. Some can be sound. Unfortunately this isn’t because there is good scientific evidence to support that practice, but rather that the beliefs and philosophy of naturopathy happen to align with science...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.