Sesame Street endorses homeopathy?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  18:55:10  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yep, they have a line of homeopathic crap with characters prominently displayed on the boxes. I have sent them the following letter, and would encourage as many of you as possible to voice your concerns. They have a general contact page at: http://www.sesameworkshop.org/contact-us/, and an actual page on the subject (you need to register), at http://sesamestreetlive.com/natural-homeopathic-supplements

For many years Sesame Street has had a reputation for quality children's programming, and my own children grew up with it. That is why it pains me to write to you on the following subject. It has been brought to my attention that Sesame Street is being used to promote homeopathic products for children. You should be aware that, in controlled scientific studies, homeopathy has never demonstrated any efficacy. In addition, there has been no scientific evidence of how homeopathy could possibly work. Indeed, if it did, it would upset what is understood about the very basics of physics, chemistry, and biology.

In itself, homeopathic 'medicine' is not dangerous, as it is usually diluted to the point at which not a single molecule of the active ingredient remains in the solution. The danger is that people, in this case parents, will forego real and effective medicine, and instead be giving children something that has no proven effect. Their continued illness, however, will be quite real, and may get worse without proper intervention.

I would ask that you please stop endorsing such products. Generations of children who grew up with your production, many of whom have no doubt gone into legitimate health care work, deserve better.

David Bailey, Chair, Association for Science and Reason

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  20:32:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I registered. I can't seem to get to any page beyond the one that says "The post has been submitted for moderation and won't be listed publicly until it has been approved." I can't find, even at store sites, any product that is homeopathic with their name on it. I found vitamins, but not homeopathics.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  20:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I registered. I can't seem to get to any page beyond the one that says "The post has been submitted for moderation and won't be listed publicly until it has been approved." I can't find, even at store sites, any product that is homeopathic with their name on it. I found vitamins, but not homeopathics.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  20:57:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Where did you find it?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  21:02:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friend's twitter feed, apparently photographed at Target.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  21:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Do a Google image search for 'baby orajel naturals' and you'll see it.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  21:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it. Found this.

BABY ORAJEL™ NATURALS TEETHING GEL

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  21:06:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are using "homeopathic" incorrectly. Still it's of concern that they think calling it a homeopathic is a selling point. It's clearly herbal and not "the law of opposites."

Fuck. I need to get a package into my hands to see if there is a homeopathic dilution.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  22:09:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my letter to Sesami Street:

With regard to your endorsement of BABY ORAJEL™ NATURALS TEETHING TABLETS.

The above product is being marketed as a homeopathic, and more generally, as an alternative medicine.

As a parent and a grandparent and as a person who has had a great deal of respect for Sesame Street as a wonderful teacher, and as someone who has sat with both my own children and my grandchildren over the years, watching Sesame Street, it pains me to see Sesame Street endorsing a pseudo-scientific based remedy that has failed to show any efficacy in study after study. Homeopathy is a quack remedy. And given that the product is being sold for teething, it's very unlikely to have even a placebo effect.

Worse yet, your good name is enough to sell a product and give people the impression that a homeopathic is okay. What that can mean is that some people will forgo proper treatment for an illness, based on the idea that a quack remedy will cure them. And that's getting into dangerous territory. A homeopathic has too little medicine in it (often none) to be of harm on its own, but if one forgoes treatment for a serious condition based on the false impression that a homeopathic will cure them, well... That is what you are endorsing by giving your approval by way of Elmo's picture on a homeopathic product.

Please do the right thing. Check the science on this. As educators, really, you should know better. As marketers, I don't know. But you are harming your brand by endorsing a quack cure for anything.

Thanks,

David Glück
Skeptic Friends Network

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  23:59:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my letter to Sesame Street:

It has come to my attention that Sesame Street is being used to endorse homeopathic remedies. like the Baby Orajel Naturlas teething pain relief.
It's really distressing to see the Sesame Street brand being used to peddle pseudo-science and quack-medicine. I really wish you'd stop doing that, because homeopathy and naturopaths are hurting the community. Since when did you hook up with the anti-intellectual brigade? I though EDUCATION was one of your main mission goals. Naturopaths are the anathema of education.

Regards,
Mikael Lännqvist

I hope they get the message. The marketing department really need to start talkning a little with the product department or general management about their stated mission.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  06:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

They are using "homeopathic" incorrectly.
Companies seem to do that all the time to get around even the slack laws on herbal "medicines." If it's "homeopathic," they don't need to say, "these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA" etc. Every ingredient in the homeopathic "Bible" got blanket approval when the FDA was created in the 1930s.
It's clearly herbal and not "the law of opposites."
Law of similars, you mean.
Fuck. I need to get a package into my hands to see if there is a homeopathic dilution.
CVS has an older box lacking Elmo, but the ingredients are listed as dilutions:
Calcarea Phosphorica 3x HPUS, Coffea Cruda 3x HPUS, Chamomilla 3x HPUS.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  07:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Law of similars. Duh!

So they are selling it as a sort of homeopathic in so far as there is very little medicine in the medicine.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  08:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My short comment to them:
Hi, it has come to my attention that Sesame Street characters are being used to promote homeopathic products. Homeopathy has no therapeutic efficacy; it's just water or sugar pills. Whatever herb was initially used at the start of the manufacturing process is diluted out of existence.

I urge you to no longer support pseudoscience and bunk products, thanks.

Torsten Pihl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.