Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  01:00:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Dglas is absolutely thrilled. He was permanently banned from JREF forum for having the audacity to question JREF's stance on atheism. He's been on a verbal crusade against JREF and A+ ever since.
How is A+ even slightly relevant to his ban from the JREF forums?

I'm not sure, but I think it started around the same time as he got banned from JREF. I think it has something to do with both A+ and JREF relying on "charismatic leaders" carrying the flag for Skepticism and Atheism respectively, and questioning these leaders gets you the boot or at least have the leaders make the "horde" shunning him.
From his facebook-postings I can detect moodswings between railing against dogma of all sorts including those in the atheism movement, to clear and noteworthy posts on philosophy of skepticism.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  01:07:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by beskeptigal

It looks like the JREF Forum under new ownership is likely. But either way, I was actually thinking about dropping by here anyway.
It was about time...
We've missed you.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  04:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Dave:
And they felt that they needed to lie about it, first.
What lie?
On July 31st, Sharon Hill started that forum thread suggesting that the forum problems were merely technical issues. On August 1st, she made those suggestions explicit:
The forum is on dedicated hardware that cannot be sustained. A move to new hardware and software is needed. That's the issue that must be solved.
But that was not "the issue." On August 5th, Hill wrote:
There is no planned support for the Forum from the JREF. It will be detached from the org. I understand this may be confusing but the Forum is very much its own thing seperate from the org and currently does not fit into the narrowed mission. More will be clear when we formulate that new roll out and announce it. That the forum expanded into all sorts of other areas is normal, not anything bad. But it simply has outgrown the support of the org - like a child that has grown up and needs to go out on his own, if you will.
I suspect that whoever appointed Hill to be part-time "Creative Consultant to the JREF" and gave her the responsibility to "transition" the forum and address the "move" to "new hardware and software" didn't tell her the truth, but offered that as a cover, knowing that JREF intended to cut the forum off completely.

Judging by other posts in that thread, it's been known for years that the JREF didn't consider the forums to be "a priority," but previous crises have been averted through donations of time and money specifically to fix forum problems. And up until that August 5th post, it's clear that's how forum users interpreted the current situation, as many basically said, "where do I send a check to help fix this?" The post on the 5th made it clear that no amount of money would keep the forums under JREF control, though.

The RDF at least had the courage to come right out and say, "we're not interested in our forums any longer, we're getting rid of them," even though they botched how that should be done (and ultimately kept their forums anyway, but with new rules). They didn't let their members think that a fundraiser might solve the problem for any amount of time, much less six days.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  05:03:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I'm not sure, but I think it started around the same time as he got banned from JREF. I think it has something to do with both A+ and JREF relying on "charismatic leaders" carrying the flag for Skepticism and Atheism respectively, and questioning these leaders gets you the boot or at least have the leaders make the "horde" shunning him.
That might be true on the A+ forums (I understand there are administrative issues there, but I've never participated and so don't know the details), but A+ as an identity has no leaders, charismatic or otherwise.
From his facebook-postings I can detect moodswings between railing against dogma of all sorts including those in the atheism movement...
I'm sure there are dogmatic A+ers around somewhere, but the idea is simply that without a god to punish evil-doers and ensure justice for everyone, we have to do it ourselves.

But this is off-topic here. Sorry.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  09:59:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave:
I suspect that whoever appointed Hill to be part-time "Creative Consultant to the JREF" and gave her the responsibility to "transition" the forum and address the "move" to "new hardware and software" didn't tell her the truth, but offered that as a cover, knowing that JREF intended to cut the forum off completely.

Yeah. I think Sharon Hill walked into a hornets nest and she's trying to make the best of it. There is a lot of anger directed at her from several directions, and some of the people who have not been supportive of this move have made accusations about Sharon. I don't really know what is true and what isn't. I just see another rift happening, and some of it is coming from a surprising direction, at least to my way of thinking. (I hope that's not too vague, but I don't want to join a rumor mill.)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  19:29:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the forum folks seem to have come to terms with the switch. At least, the vocal ones are just arguing about the legalities of transferring the forum to different ownership and whether banned people should remain banned.

At least, on the last couple pages of that "future of the forum" thread, I didn't see Hill's name mentioned even once.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.