Keystone XL Pipeline
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  09:52:37  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that Canada is going to transport and sell their ill-gotten* oil, whether through a pipeline or trains, barges and trucks. So if not through the pipeline, it would be even more polluting, no?

*it takes much energy and environmental damage to get oil from shale.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  10:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

My understanding is that Canada is going to transport and sell their ill-gotten* oil, whether through a pipeline or trains, barges and trucks. So if not through the pipeline, it would be even more polluting, no?

*it takes much energy and environmental damage to get oil from shale.

The history of pipeline breaks and other mishaps puts wherever the pipeline is in danger of a spill. And that history hasn't been a good one.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  12:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least with trucks, any spill will be limited to, say, 40,000 liters per incident.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  18:11:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a pipeline is a prime target for terrorists.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  06:54:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

At least with trucks, any spill will be limited to, say, 40,000 liters per incident.

But there has been far more volume of spills from truck accidents than with pipeline breaks. If anything, shipping by truck spreads the contamination around.

Link to Congressional Research Service

Link to Forbes article

Ultimately, we are looking at either building a pipeline or increasing train and ship traffic for a method of reducing spills. However, the oil companies would rather not pay third parties for shipping, so they are going to push pipelines and fall back to trucks.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  11:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting articles, Val, thanks.

Thor, I can't find anything on terrorists targeting pipelines in the U.S. I think terrorists are more interested in causing fear than in making a mess.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  14:24:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thor, I can't find anything on terrorists targeting pipelines in the U.S. I think terrorists are more interested in causing fear than in making a mess.
Yes, that argument can also be used to say we shouldn't build art, national monuments, dams, skyscrapers, or nearly anything.

Another argument against Keystone is in this disingenuous article:
Simply stated, Keystone XL is a way to get Canadian oil out of the United States, not into it.
What the author chooses not to point out is that oil is a global market. A quick search of the US Energy Information Administration (EIA) website shows the following:
Gasoline is a globally traded commodity, and prices are highly correlated across global spot markets.
Among other things. Look here for the above quote, and here for an overview of oil supply and demand.

In other words, the Keystone Pipeline will probably lower global (and therefore US) gasoline prices. And, as Val pointed out, will be less potentially disruptive to the environment than any other form of oil transportation.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  14:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Yes, that argument can also be used to say we shouldn't build art, national monuments, dams, skyscrapers, or nearly anything.

No big oil spills from art and monuments, but what Dave W. said.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.