Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  04:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

right, but what about if there is an afterlife. What would be the ethical implications of pulling someone out of it?
I think it should be a moral imperative to pull people out of hell.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  12:32:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

right, but what about if there is an afterlife. What would be the ethical implications of pulling someone out of it?
I think it should be a moral imperative to pull people out of hell.

I agree.

However, a new question arises: how do we know that a dead person is in hell and not heaven?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/14/2016 12:33:18
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  17:08:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

However, a new question arises: how do we know that a dead person is in hell and not heaven?
Every description of heaven I've ever heard would be a hell for me.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  19:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe that means you're destined for hell either way. It's a shame because we are friends.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  22:12:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe that means you're destined for hell either way.
Since, according to the Bible, I'm a reprobate, it's sure thing no matter what heaven is "really" like.
It's a shame because we are friends.
God necessarily set me on this path the moment I was conceived. God's actions can never be shameful, can they?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  04:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no they can't

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  19:50:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

no they can't
Yup. Sucks to be me. Somehow, my eventual, inevitable, eternal torture isn't shameful, but is instead a good thing.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  00:49:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you may have a warped interpretation of "shame" because you're not immortal and perfect.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  11:03:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

you may have a warped interpretation of "shame" because you're not immortal and perfect.
Yeah, "mysterious ways" and all that. It's a perfect non-answer.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  14:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speculating on afterlives is moot, as modern neuroscience has disproved its existence, including disproving mind-body dualism.

Everything that makes you *you* (memory, emotions, decision making, etc.) is emergent from a process of chemistry and electricity. Like a candle flame going out, you will simply end. You're not important enough for an afterlife. Nobody is.

Interestingly the minimum percentage of brain activity required for consciousness is 42%.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  13:27:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, THAT's where the number comes from...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  16:31:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Speculating on afterlives is moot, as modern neuroscience has disproved its existence, ,,,,

I do agree with you speculating on afterlives is moot but not because it's been disproved. I don't think that's the case. It's not science, neuro or any other branch, that bears the burden of disproving wild unsupported claims and assertions. It's those who make the claim that there is an afterlife that have the burden of proof, which has not been met. Did science disprove the existence of Thor? No you but the other Thor. I wouldn't say it did. Any foolish person can believe Thor still exists just like believers of other equally made up gods. While the creation of Thor originated to explain or provide an agent/cause for Thunder and lightening etc., what science did do was present evidence that thunder and lightening were explained by natural forces unknown previously and not by Thor. All Gods ever imagined or created by man have the same origin, they were all created to explain that which is unknown. Where did the universe come from? Where did the Earth and the life on it come from? God, God, God! Says who? People ignorant of the real causes they know nothing about and are to arragont to say "I don't know". Is there an afterlife or a god? I don't know but those that claim there is can only assert it, they can't demonstrate it's a justified belief. Not in any scientific way, which is their BIG problem.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  19:54:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong with speculation. Speculation is just the beginning.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  19:37:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's nothing wrong with speculation.
Do you mean God hasn't decreed it a sin or to do so without supporting credible evidence is without peril?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  09:29:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's nothing wrong with speculation. Speculation is just the beginning.

Yes, if there is a possibility of an afterlife, but we now know as a fact that there is not, thanks to modern neuroscience. Everything that makes you *you* (emotions, behavior, decision making, memory, etc.) is a bio-chemical-electrical process. Like a candle flame going out, you will simply end. Imagining otherwise doesn't make it so.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.