Genetically modified idiocy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  20:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Non-GMO as a Marketing Ploy:
My wife came home with a bag of Pita chips. This particular brand had “Non-GMO Certified” on both the front a back labels.

This label is pure marketing. Why?

There is only one product in the entire list of ingredients that could potentially come from a GM plant, canola oil. Of course, the process of generating the canola oil removes all DNA and proteins, resulting in a product that is indistinguishable from canola oil from a non-GMO plant. Further, the list specifically states that the pita chips could use canola OR sunflower oil (which doesn’t even come from a GMO-plant).

This particular product is non-GMO in the same way that a cranberry is non-GMO. Because no one had ever invented a GMO cranberry. The same with all the products listed… none of them have ever had GMO versions created.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  22:31:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Non-GMO as a Marketing Ploy:
My wife came home with a bag of Pita chips. This particular brand had “Non-GMO Certified” on both the front a back labels.

This label is pure marketing. Why?

There is only one product in the entire list of ingredients that could potentially come from a GM plant, canola oil. Of course, the process of generating the canola oil removes all DNA and proteins, resulting in a product that is indistinguishable from canola oil from a non-GMO plant. Further, the list specifically states that the pita chips could use canola OR sunflower oil (which doesn’t even come from a GMO-plant).

This particular product is non-GMO in the same way that a cranberry is non-GMO. Because no one had ever invented a GMO cranberry. The same with all the products listed… none of them have ever had GMO versions created.

But Dave. You do realise that the pita chips are NOT gluten free, right?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  21:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More idiocy that isn't really idiocy, but is instead vicious, cruel and deadly:
We will not stand by idly as attempts are made to systematically genetically modify Africa’s staple foods and in the process gain a massive positive public relations coup by claiming to have conquered health problems at the unnecessary risk to Africans.
In other words, these asshats won't stand for testing that might actually show that a particular GMO might benefit humanity. In fact, they complain that this GMO banana that is being studied is not sufficiently studied. Well, duh.

More from Novella:
The usual complaints about GMOs are not relevant to the GMO vitamin A enriched banana. The new gene is taken from a wild banana species, and so is not a transgene from a distant species. The GMO is being developed by the Ugandan government, NARO, the Bill & Melissa Gates Foundation and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). This is a humanitarian project. There is no issue of corporate ownership or patents. The new cultivar has nothing to do with pesticides or farming practice.

There is, in fact, no legitimate reason to protest this banana except that it is being developed using technology that falls within the broad and somewhat arbitrary definition of genetically modified. I doubt they would be protesting the feeding trials, or this approach to vitamin A deficiency, if the cultivar were developed through mutation farming.
To put it in still other words, these mendacious jerkwads look at the dilemma between the health of African children and their PR campaign against GMOs in general, and their choice is the latter, because semantics and nothing else.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  00:30:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With regard to Golden Rice, which was also developed to deliver vitamin A to people, and especially to children in areas that subsist on rice but are lacking a good source of vitamin A, Greenpeace came right out and said that they consider Golden Rice to be a Trojan horse to make GMOs look good. They then helped what they called a group of farmers to destroy a test crop of golden rice in the Philippines, which was also to be given away for free. Same playbook as the bananas. They say they aren't studied enough while at the same time will not allow the crops to be studied.

The hypocrisy is mind boggling, and... Well you know how I feel. I think Greenpeace and the other organizations that have slowed or stopped these crops from making their way to the people who need them, in order to prevent blindness and death in children, are murderers. I have only contempt for them.

On the upside in this battle is this:

The Anti-GMO Narrative is Crumbling

The media is finally looking at the science and has begun to turn on the anti-gmo forces.

I also consider it good news that Skeptics, in general, are now fully engaged in this battle. Better late than never.

By the way Dave. You have linked to SGU and the article was written by Steve Novella.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  21:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

By the way Dave. You have linked to SGU and the article was written by Steve Novella.
Huh. How odd that I thought it was Kylie Sturgess. Fixed.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  09:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few of my anti-GMO neighbors and Facebook friends are not against GMO for health reasons. They acknowledge that they're safe. They don't want contamination of heirloom varieties. Never mind that heirloom varieties can be contaminated by non-GMO crops too. They fall silent to that rebuttal.

And regarding marketing labeling, I found a bag of GLUTEN FREE corn chips, lol!

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 02/19/2016 09:21:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.