Dear White, Christian Trump Supporters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  12:01:36  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's a Huffpo article, but the author makes good points and asks good questions. Susan M. Shaw is a neighborhood acquaintance.

"You have a right to be aggrieved, but I fear you are targeting the wrong people. Low paying jobs, job insecurity, companies moving work overseas, low benefits, little vacation -- these are the results of decades of policies that benefit the truly wealthy -- those whose wealth depends not on the labor of their hands but on their ability to exploit the production of poorly paid laborers. The problem is not that immigrants have taken your jobs or drained money from the safety net. The problem is that the system of wealth sets workers against one another so they do not target the real economic power that limits their work and financial security."

"I'm afraid that what you want is a nation that conforms to your interpretation of the Bible. That's where we really run into trouble because that would require you to force your particular conservative Christian beliefs on everyone else. I don't understand how people who want to claim religious liberty for themselves are so unwilling to give it to everyone, which is actually the premise of true religious liberty."

"To cling to overturning Roe v. Wade as the only way to end abortions is a fantasy based on ideology rather than medical science and social science, and it flies in the face of the evidence for what is successful. So the real question is are you more interested in actual effectiveness in lowering abortion rates or ideological purity? We can lower abortion rates together but not by denying women choices over their own bodies. We can be effective together by listening to the data and working together to ensure all women have access to contraception, education, and social and economic resources. Are you willing to have that conversation?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/an-open-letter-to-white-christian-trump-supporters_us_589f5ce4e4b0e172783a9cef

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 02/24/2017 10:57:52

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  20:28:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a lot of those jobs that have gone away aren't coming back. No company is going to replace a precise, tireless robot with a bunch of humans, for example. Coal has gotten too cheap to have humans digging it out of the ground by hand. Harvest time for some crops involves a single person monitoring the GPS-enabled combine. Etc.. Even the "may I take your order" jobs are vanishing: when my wife orders a pizza, it's just a bunch of mouse clicks.

And so a lot of the new jobs now and in the coming decades will be for humans who design, build and maintain the automation. The manual laborers who say they don't know any other way of life had better figure it out, fast.

Some jobs that will surely remain, thanks to the truly wealthy getting truly wealthier, are artisans. But those aren't jobs so much as sole proprietorships or even LLCs where the skilled craftsperson resides as president or CEO. Artisanal shops aren't going to be responsible for much of the monthly job growth, mostly because it takes years or decades before an artisan will have made enough of a name for herself that she can end an apprenticeship and break out on her own and be somewhat certain of regular income.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.