True believers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  18:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What quacky, woo, pseudoscience, nonsense practice do you think has the lowest percentage of honest, true-believer practitioners?

I think the percentage of honest, famous faith healers is very close to zero, while the not-famous ones are much more likely to believe their own bullshit.

I think the percentage of honest Kiai Masters is very high, because I think they and their students create a mutually reinforcing delusion cycle, which can only be broken by outside interference (and even then, they will make up excuses).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  20:48:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

What quacky, woo, pseudoscience, nonsense practice do you think has the lowest percentage of honest, true-believer practitioners?

I think the percentage of honest, famous faith healers is very close to zero, while the not-famous ones are much more likely to believe their own bullshit.

I think the percentage of honest Kiai Masters is very high, because I think they and their students create a mutually reinforcing delusion cycle, which can only be broken by outside interference (and even then, they will make up excuses).
Right. I also think famous psychics have a very low percentage true believer practitioners, and at the same time I think there are tons of people who claim psychic ability who are absolutely convinced that they really are psychic.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  00:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fame and profit massively increase probability it's a scam

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  09:20:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coincidentally, Cracked just today published 5 People Ironically Ruined By Their Very Stupid Beliefs, which includes:
  • Jim Fixx, who had a heart attack while running to prevent heart attacks;

• Linda Hazzard, a fasting advocate who died during a fast to cure her own illness;

• Derek Kieper, a seatbelt protestor who died because he didn't wear a seatbelt;

• Wesley Snipes, a tax protestor (and "actor") who went to jail for not paying taxes;

• Christine Maggiore, an HIV/AIDS denialist who died from AIDS;

• Hulda Clark, the author of cancer cure books who died of cancer, and

• Jack Coe, a faith healer who got polio after utterly failing to cure a three-year-old's polio.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  23:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wesley Snipes did nothing wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  08:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Wesley Snipes did nothing wrong.
Two words: Boiling Point.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  17:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame the director and editor for that flop. Snipes performance was terrific as always.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  06:48:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like we had our share of Darwin Awards in that list...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.