In a nutshell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  09:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Republican agenda summarized. Senator Ron Johnson explains that health care, food, clothing and shelter are all privileges, and not rights. So if you're too poor to afford a roof over your head, clothes to keep warm, food to keep your kids developing well, and/or annual check-ups, Republicans think you should be "free" to go without such things. Yes, he actually framed it as an issue of freedom.

(I assume, as the ongoing Flint, Michigan troubles show, that clean drinking water is also a "privilege.")

Johnson claims these things are limited resources, but the U.S. is a net exporter of food. And housing is kept artificially expensive by people who consider homes to be investments instead of necessities.

Anyway, there's the Republican party for you: if you're not rich, you can just go die. And to speed up the process, they've been trying to get rid of our public safety-net programs. And ooops, in the frenzy of trying to destroy Obamacare last week, they neglected to re-authorize insurance for kids. And soon they're going to try to balloon the deficit through a massive tax cut in order to later say, "well, we can't afford all these public-assistance programs, now can we? Gotta kill Medicaid."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  10:10:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget abortions. Normal people shouldn't have access to abortion, but Congresscritters should:
In a move that will go down in the annals of Washington as “predictable,” the staunchly pro-life Rep. Tim Murphy might be pro-life when it comes to his voting record; today, he voted in favor of the House’s 20-week abortion ban. But he isn’t exactly pro-life when it comes to his own personal pursuit of consequence-free extramarital sex.

The Pennsylvania Republican’s “no abortions except for my mistress” stance was revealed today...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  10:32:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Behold the selfish pseudo-morality of Republican theocrats.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  17:31:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And guns! Guns, ammo, training and practice all cost bucks. Republican solution? Poor people are "free" to get shot by rich people and criminals. Rather than work on sensible regulation that would protect everyone equally (and probably lower the suicide rate, to boot), Republicans whine about the 2nd Amendment while ignoring the 14th.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  18:59:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*I broaden my statement by not including Theocrats, as I have an ol' friend on Facebook who is atheist, a gun owner and dealer, and has admitted to have fanned the flames of "Obama's gonna take yer gunz!" for better sales.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  20:01:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, and our Republican government voted in favor of the continued execution of apostates, blasphemers, adulterers and gays. And yet they claim the moral high ground.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  10:42:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Oh yeah, and our Republican government voted in favor of the continued execution of apostates, blasphemers, adulterers and gays. And yet they claim the moral high ground.
I saw that.

You know ... It's one thing after another. I don't get this vote at all. But lately I don't get most of the things the right is doing. I mean, I know they appeal to certain people who they need on their side, but this vote wouldn't have offended anyone, at least in terms of votes or fundraising. It boggles the mind.

Now we're also going to talk about guns again. And you know where that will lead? Same place as always. It's freaking depressing.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  12:52:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a quote from Steve Cuno, a friend of mine on facebook, and a Skeptic:

Credible sources pro and con have been misreporting the UN death penalty resolution (Resolution A/HRC/36/L.6):

• The U.S. didn’t vote “no” against the death penalty for same-sex relations.

• The U.S. didn’t “no” because the resolution would have altogether banned the death penalty.

You can download and read the Resolution by clicking this link from the United Nations website (it’s legit and safe to click): https://daccess-ods.un.org/access.nsf/GetFile…

Here’s my executive summary: *The death penalty is barbaric, but if your country insists on it, at least protect the rights of the accused and for sure don’t use it to punish “apostasy, blasphemy, adultery and consensual same-sex relations.”*

In the United States the federal government and 31 states impose a death penalty, making it rather awkward for the U.S. to vote “yes” on a resolution that says (correctly) that the death penalty is barbaric.

My outrage is that any country has, much less defends, a death penalty at all.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  19:00:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take "rather awkward" over another innocent person put to death any day.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  21:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, in a move that does nothing but increase abortion rates, Republicans are making it harder to obtain contraception. Thus is demonstrated that the goal is not a reduction in abortions, but the punishment of women for having sex.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.