Politics
 Should not vaccinating your child be a criminal of
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Coveny

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  20:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Coveny's Homepage Send Coveny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of misinformation on the internet that references “studies” that have been debunked my science. There is also the fact that science isn’t infallible and has history has shown what science believe to be good for you today, could later turn out to be bad for you. I believe in this case vaccines have proven they work, and they are good science, but their effectiveness means that the risk is much lower to be exposed and therefore need the vaccine is lower as well.

We’ve recently seen cases of preventable illness come back into America after years without a case. I’m a supporter of freedom, but I want what’s best for our society as well. Laws about seatbelts statistically save lives, but this is forcing people to do things against their will for society and their own “good”. How can we call it freedom if we don’t have the choice to make bad decisions? Freedom isn’t defined by a Stepford wife following along because she’s programed to, freedom is defined by doing things like drinking, smoking, gambling, etc that many disagree with. Where is the line in the sand on freedom?

Many public schools require immunization of children or they won’t accept them. These people are paying their taxes for services they cannot use. Should they get a tax break? Is that fair? Is it ethical to take away services paid for simply because you don’t agree with the way the person using it acts? And if it’s based more on the danger the unimmunized child presents what’s the liability?

Should we charge anti-vaxxer parents with assault or murder if they cause an outbreak? They generally live in communities, is the whole community to blame? How do we decide (if we agree there should be punishment) who and how much is justified? And what about their own children?

Is it moral to punish a parent for doing what they believe will help even if the end result hurts their child? I don’t know of a single parent who hasn’t felt like they’ve made some bad decisions in raising their children. It’s not like we received a handbook, and even if we did no one would have time to read it. As it requires more and more time to simply “get by” economically, how much of this is societies fault, and how much is simply a case of not having the time and money to do your due diligence?

ForDebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-FTqbq14lsJZjr6GQ

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  22:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coveny:
Where is the line in the sand on freedom?

Where your freedom puts others at risk.
Many public schools require immunization of children or they won’t accept them. These people are paying their taxes for services they cannot use.

Yes they can.
Is it ethical to take away services paid for simply because you don’t agree with the way the person using it acts?

Yes, if what you don't agree on puts others at risk. The risk is not a matter of opinion. Vaccinations protect people who are immunodeficient by way of herd immunity. I also don't want your kids near my kids even if my kids are vaccinated because vaccines are not 100% effective.
Should we charge anti-vaxxer parents with assault or murder if they cause an outbreak?

Do you know of such a case?
Is it moral to punish a parent for doing what they believe will help even if the end result hurts their child?

Yes. The information is out there. If they willingly damage their children, it's usually considered child abuse. If they beat the crap out of their kid because their religion tells them to not spare the rod, and the child is damaged, the precedent is that they face child abuse charges. I agree with the precedent.
...and how much is simply a case of not having the time and money to do your due diligence?

Since when did ignorance of the law get you a pass? Your logical fallacy is special pleading.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  21:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coveny, there can be big differences between quality scientific research results and media reporting of such.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  00:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we should be going after the people who spread the dangerous information rather than the poor idiots who fall for it.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  09:42:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFFC:
I think we should be going after the people who spread the dangerous information rather than the poor idiots who fall for it.

And in most cases we do. But if the dangerous information that some people pick up puts others at risk, that needs to be addressed too.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bluewaves

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  06:48:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bluewaves a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All my kids are vaccinated and nothing bad happened to them.

Tony Lane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.