Hi!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2022 :  05:59:00  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been a long, long time since I've been here. No reasons other than life and such things. I'll try to visit a lot more often. Glad to see the site is still up and running.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2022 :  06:01:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now that I look...I don't see any recent posts...looks like there is a Facebook SFN, but I don't do Facebook (it's the devil).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2022 :  23:38:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, pleco!

Yeah, it's kinda dead around here. I'm not real happy about it, but the place needs several touch-ups to become a real concern again.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2022 :  18:45:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hai hai! It's rather quiet here nowadays due to So-So Media.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2022 :  08:23:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a sad time when Facebook gets all the thunder. Especially since it's not very conductive to written debates, with hiding posts and what-not.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2022 :  16:20:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree. I miss the in-depth debates and discussions here.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2022 :  22:25:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Yes, I agree. I miss the in-depth debates and discussions here.
Me too. But I don't know what the solution is.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2022 :  00:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

But I don't know what the solution is.
At a bare minimum:

1) The whole site needs to move to HTTPS from HTTP. Every browser today flags all our pages as insecure, because they are. We need a certificate for the site (about $10 a year), and then we need to serve all our pages through a secure (httpS) channel. (By the way, this may explain Filthy's old "the site has a virus!" complaints).

2) We need to figure out and implement the whole "Log in via your Google/Facebook/Twitter account" thing, so nobody needs a separate account name or password.

3) We need to set the site up to serve pages differently on mobile than on desktops.

4) We need an actual WYSIWYG editor for posts.

I'm guessing here, but I'd bet that the latest version of Snitz can do everything above except paying for our certificate. Well, maybe not Snitz, since the latest version of Snitz is dated 13 years ago (I just looked), so would definitely look cross-eyed at Chrome or Edge.

Perhaps we resurrect SFN as a multi-author blog? WordPress is definitely current.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  13:30:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps we resurrect SFN as a multi-author blog? WordPress is definitely current.

Now there's an interesting idea. As for the forum, yes, we need a secure address if we are to keep on going. But every forum has taken the same kind of hit we have. I think we'd be kicking a dead horse.

I do still like that I can link to articles on this site. I do that from time to time.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2022 :  03:47:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind kicking in a few bucks for a certificate-and-stuff.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2022 :  03:48:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss Filthy...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2022 :  08:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss Filthy too and Half Mooner.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2022 :  08:42:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
reddit killed all other forums
but yeah I miss talking with all those guys too, filthy, Dr. Mabuse, Half mooner, kil, Dave, Dude, Marfknox, Hawk, Sailingsoul, Bill, Cuneiformist, bngbuck and all the other regulars sory if I missed anyone.
It was fun chatting with you all these past 20 years.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 08/28/2022 15:26:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.