Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  02:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Val, you're absolutely correct. However, my 'opinion' is that children are not born with a 'default' knowledge of anything other than the basics such as mother and various survival needs. Even many of these may be rapidly learned behavior.

I do realize that the precise meaning of the word 'atheism' is the absence of a theology. However, western society, right or wrong, generally veiws the word as a disbelief in God. Either way, knowledge of a theology is required in the former, and knowledge of a god is required in the latter. Both, I think, are learned.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

jmcginn
Skeptic Friend

343 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  07:10:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jmcginn's Homepage Send jmcginn a Private Message
quote:
I do realize that the precise meaning of the word 'atheism' is the absence of a theology. However, western society, right or wrong, generally veiws the word as a disbelief in God. Either way, knowledge of a theology is required in the former, and knowledge of a god is required in the latter. Both, I think, are learned.

Tim I understand where you are coming from I think, however despite how western society defines atheism, what would you call someone who has no knowledge or concept of theology or gods such as newborn?

By the strict literal definition atheist fits, but maybe not the new social definition as you define it. Agnostic does not fit by the strict literal definition since it does require knowledge of the concepts of theology, but maybe the social definition fits in this case.
Go to Top of Page

Psi Kick

3 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  13:28:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Psi Kick a Private Message
God is your potential.

You have to believe it to be seen.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  22:56:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Psi Kick wrote:
quote:
You have to believe it to be seen.
What, precisely, does this mean? I've heard and understand "you have to see it to belive it," and I can wrap my head around "you have to believe it to see it," but "you have to believe it to be seen?" What the heck does that mean, in practical, everyday terms? I certainly don't need to believe in God, for example, to be seen by other mortals here on Earth - they get out of my way just fine, for the most part. In not believing (what, precisely?), how is it - exactly - that I am invisible?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  10:36:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
Maybe he means you have to believe in God to reach your full potential... but I may be trying to infer meaning where none exists

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  17:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie B.

Maybe he means you have to believe in God to reach your full potential... but I may be trying to infer meaning where none exists

Will any God or God(s) suffice?

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  19:17:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
This topic is closed due to length. Please continue discussions at the continuation topic here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.