Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Ok, fresh up your drink, sit yourself down, and...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  17:49:44  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
... dig this!

I do believe that it's even worse than I thought.

http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v08n1/chrisre1.html

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Darwin Storm
Skeptic Friend

87 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  18:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Darwin Storm a Private Message
Sounds as bad as any terrorist ideology. Why is it that the phsycho christians are the ones that desperatly cling to the old testament? I though the Jesus was about love and redemption. I guess they never got to that part of their bibles.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  19:50:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Whackorama...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Jimmy_Reynolds

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  19:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Jimmy_Reynolds's Homepage  Send Jimmy_Reynolds a Yahoo! Message Send Jimmy_Reynolds a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

... dig this!

I do believe that it's even worse than I thought.

http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v08n1/chrisre1.html

I have a friend who has been publicly involved in various skeptical and liberal causes for many years (evolution education, ACLU, NARAL, etc.). Not surprisingly, he was also a long-time proponent of gun control.
Quite recently, he reversed himself on the latter issue, and bought an AR-15, a .45 pistol, reloading gear, and the associated supplies. He also started shooting regularly at a local range and went through the rigamarole to get a concealed carry license. I asked him what the deal was and he pointed me to this very article.
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Storm
Skeptic Friend

87 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  22:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Darwin Storm a Private Message
The most basic right is self-defense. Your safety, no matter what anyone tells you, ultimatley rests with the individual. Stuff like that is spooky, but I am not overly worried. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the means with which to protect yourself or your home.
Intersting note. The police have no legal responsibility to protect people . This has been legally established time and time again. Their role is deterrence and law enforcement. Its the individuals role to protect themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  11:01:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Guess I'm dead if this ever happens, single mother, never been married. Guess that's unchastity before marriage, huh?

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  14:44:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Unless you're immaculate, Trish! Then you are pretty holy, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  15:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Only if you consider immaculate in terms of...hmmm, can't think of much in my life that is immaculate. I'm a poor housekeeper, can't cook worth a damn, swear like...well like a Marine. Guess I must be pretty un-holy.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  08:41:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Trish

Only if you consider immaculate in terms of...hmmm, can't think of much in my life that is immaculate. I'm a poor housekeeper, can't cook worth a damn, swear like...well like a Marine. Guess I must be pretty un-holy.

Did you produce a child without sex? (I'm talking about any sex, not just good or adequate sex.)

You just might be immaculate.

Although, I could never get why Joseph bought that whole "I was impregnated by the Lord" line.

:)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  11:49:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Did you produce a child without sex? (I'm talking about any sex, not just good or adequate sex.)

Hey, sex is still pretty good even when it's bad. Nope, enjoyed my way to producing a child.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.