Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  13:17:31  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
“I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.”

quote:
The truth is straightforward: Virtually every significant problem facing the American people today can be traced back to the policies and people that came from the Reagan administration. It is a laundry list of ills, woes and disasters that has all of us, once again, staring apocalypse in the eye.

How can this be? The television says Ronald Reagan was one of the most beloved Presidents of the 20th century. He won two national elections, the second by a margin so overwhelming that all future landslides will be judged by the high-water mark he achieved against Walter Mondale. How can a man so universally respected have played a hand in the evils which corrupt our days?

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/060704A.shtml

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  14:30:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
Wow, Sounds like more of a rant to me. Obviously, Pitt does not like Reagan or his policies and makes it sound that Reagan was behind the 911 plot and that he alone equipped Saddam with his chemical weapons.

quote:
The air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat are all tainted because Reagan battered down every environmental regulation he came across so corporations could improve their bottom line

Doesn't congress have something to do with these regulations? The old “republicans want children to die” rhetoric. Pitt can write anything he wants but I think a classier thing to do would be to wait to post this until Reagan is buried.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  16:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
His point with the article is, that image is considered more important than reality.. and that we have Reagan to thank for that.

He may be right....

How many people think that Saddam is responsible for 9/11? Alot. Why? The efforts of the current administration to project this image.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  17:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Wow. I'm floored someone had the courage to write something less-than-glowing about Reagan.

I think it was hard to dislike Reagan as a person--or perhaps more accurately, as an image. But I don't think it's wise to vote for people based on their personality; any good salesman (or politician or actor) can charm us into liking them long enough to get what they want from us.

Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  00:02:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Wow. I'm floored someone had the courage to write something less-than-glowing about Reagan.

I think it was hard to dislike Reagan as a person--or perhaps more accurately, as an image. But I don't think it's wise to vote for people based on their personality; any good salesman (or politician or actor) can charm us into liking them long enough to get what they want from us.

Unfortunatly a lot of people do vote that way

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  00:46:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Pitt actually wrote one of the milder articles that I've read; certainly a lot calmer than anything I might have come up with. And he kept to the facts without a lot of extra blather.

Not that any extra blather was needed; Reagan's administration was almost as corrupt as our current one, and history will speak for itself, as always, even though Bush locked up Reagan's records as soon as the bastard took office. I'd like to see those records.

If I have the agenda right, the corpse of honor will soon be hauled across the country, why I don't know. I do hope everybody remembers that it's almost summer, the weather is warm, and it won't be long before 'Dutch' becomes an embarrassment. Again.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  06:01:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

<snip>
Not that any extra blather was needed; Reagan's administration was almost as corrupt as our current one, and history will speak for itself, as always,<snip>

Methinks you have too much faith in the writers of history.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  07:08:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

quote:

<snip>
Not that any extra blather was needed; Reagan's administration was almost as corrupt as our current one, and history will speak for itself, as always,<snip>

Methinks you have too much faith in the writers of history.

Not in my lifetime nor yours perhaps, but someday researchers will tell the story as it went down and unlike most history lessons, it won't be so dull and dry that the kids will fall asleep in class. For now, it is enough to know that he's gone and he ain't comin' back.

The scociopath Bush and the party faithful seem to think that he's the reencarnation of Reagan, but he's not even a patch on ol' Dutch. Y'see, for as big a sleezebag as Reagan was, he was a sleezbag with style. I might even go so far as to say, "class," although that makes me choke a bit.

I could never really work up a good, solid hate for Reagan, even when, due to his policies, my disability was severly cut at a very bad time. He actually came across as a hell of a nice guy, even though he was anything but and the only people that didn't know it were those who soon found it out, and the brain-dead.

But whaddaya think; do ya reckon Mr. Death is enjoying his brand-new boy with the stoned grin and empty eyes?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  07:53:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

for as big a sleezebag as Reagan was, he was a sleezbag with style.
If President Reagan was so bad for this country, why were his approval ratings so high?

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  07:59:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Funny you should ask that:

http://www.fair.org/extra/8903/reagan-popularity.html

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  08:20:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
At the end of his presidency, after all was said and done, he did have the highest approval rating since FDR, even with the 3% margin of error.

quote:
Reagan finished strong with a December 1988 Gallup poll recording a 63% approval rating. But given the 3% margin of error, this statistic is not appreciably different than the final ratings of Eisenhower (59%) or Kennedy (58%). Polls showed FDR with a 66% favorable tally at the time of his death.

In this article it says that his likability ratings were some of the lowest ever. Likeability is not the same as approval. People must have liked his policies if they didn't like him personally.

Edited by - Robb on 06/08/2004 08:38:25
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  08:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

If President Reagan was so bad for this country, why were his approval ratings so high?

In a post following this quote, you have pretty much answered the question. To all too many people, a personal likeability is exactly the reason they will select a candidate; qualifications and intelligence be damned. And, as we all really, really hate to wrong, they'll stick to the myth and suck on it like a lamprey.

With myself and others, who prefer fact over myth, his ratings were through the floor.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  08:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message

quote:
In a post following this quote, you have pretty much answered the question. To all too many people, a personal likeability is exactly the reason they will select a candidate; qualifications and intelligence be damned. And, as we all really, really hate to wrong, they'll stick to the myth and suck on it like a lamprey.

With myself and others, who prefer fact over myth, his ratings were through the floor.
He won both elections overwhelmingly even with a low likeabilty rating. I don't think his likeability was why he was elected twice and had a very high approval rating at the end of his presidency. It must have been his policies that people approved of.

What is a Lamprey?

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:34:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
What is a Lamprey?

A bloodsucking parasite.

http://www.fisheries.vims.edu/lamprey.htm

Really a neat critter, if your into the horrific.

This site says they are native to lake ontario (as well as the north Atlantic)..... but I'm not 100% sure that is accurate. I seem to recall that they may have been let into the great lakes sometime in the 1800's.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:46:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:

for as big a sleezebag as Reagan was, he was a sleezbag with style.

Actually, this is addressed in today's piece by Paul Krugman in the NY Times (today being June 8, 2004). He actually notes a number of Regan myths, the biggest being that Regan was this great tax-cutter. The reality is that after seeing what a bad idea his huge cuts were, he went about raising taxes for years in an attempt to clean up the mess. More is also found at Bob Somerby's wonderful site www.dailyhowler.com.

Lastly, some conservative commentators still think the guy walks on water, to wit today's piece by syndicated columnist Cal Thomas (www.calthomas.com has links to his stuff).

(Edited because I don't know what day it is.)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/08/2004 12:06:06
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:53:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I remember the Reagan years quite well; everybody loved him. They loved him through the Lebonan disaster, the Grenada bullshit, Iran/Contra (impeachable), and even when a good number of his administration were investigated, some indited, and some 28, if I'm not mistaken, convicted of felonies. Reagan was called the Teflon President because while much was going to hell around him, nothing would stick to him. Pretty amazing, when you think about it.

The sea lamprey has indeed established booming populations in the Great Lakes. They are a real problem to the lake trout fisheries. Some years back, they figured out how to cut their numbers somewhat. Lamprays spawn in clear streams and rivers feeding the lakes, so they poison off the lavral stage of the animal. I don't recall what chemical is used, but it is said to work only on lamprey larvae.

Of course, there is no way they can get them all, so lamprays are here for the duration. A pity there is not some commercial market for them as there is for the similar hagfish.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.