Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  20:39:27  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
... requireing it's TV stations to run an anti-Kerry documentary that is wildly factually innacurate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6198935/#041012c

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  23:10:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
This story, along with the Lonestar Iconoclast story, seems to highlight the intolerant, and the vindictive nature of many in the GOP. Actually, it serves to reinforce what I have witnessed in my hometown.

My wife and I were riding around town the other day when it struck us. There were "Bush - Cheney" signs all over town. So, we wondered how many "Kerry - Edwards" signs were in town.

We drove around for quite a while. We found exactly zero signs for the Democratic candidates. So, we wanted to rectify that. We went to the big city of Houma, La. to get a "Kerry - Edwards" sign from a friend.

We put the sign in our front yard. That sign lasted less than a day. By the next morning it had turned spectral, because I'm quite sure my neighbors wouldn't have abscounded with it.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Put up another one, and stay the night up with a BB-gun...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  00:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Can anyone say controlled media? Does it sound like what you'd find in a communist country perhaps? This trend scares me almost as much as Bush. Actually, Bush scares me in the short run and controlled media in the long run.

Fortunately, our kids are growing up in the computer/internet world. The internet got here just in time.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  01:43:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

...We put the sign in our front yard. That sign lasted less than a day. By the next morning it had turned spectral, because I'm quite sure my neighbors wouldn't have abscounded with it.

Our neighborhood is loaded with Kerry/Edwards lawn signs, including one on the little front lawn of our bungalow. Nearly 100 Kerry/Edwards signs in a five block area. Its glorious. One of our neighbors down the street has the one (1) loan Bush/Cheney sign. Someone knocked it over last month, but one of our pro-Kerry neighbors put it up again. Liberals, so high principled - that's why we get taken advantage of by the dark radical right-wingers.

P.S. – I wrote to Sinclair and my local TV station. I told them no matter who wins the election, they (Sinclair) can never by trusted as a legitimate news source again. Its a good letter (though I know they won't read it.) In it, I quote a line from “Inherit the Wind.” There's also a movement to boycott all their sponsors.

Now CNN has reported that Sinclair is heavily in debt and owns a construction company that Dick Cheney has given lucrative contracts to for work in Iraq. Greedy creeps.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  03:25:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I too, sent Sinclair a letter that included a sponser boycott threat that I just might carry out whether they show the flick or not. To even suggest it shows a lack of integrety that is more and more defining the neocon wing of the Republican Party.

I has thought that there was some kind of federal law preventing such a thing so close to an election. Perhaps I was wrong.

As for political signs, except for state and local candidates, they are conspicous by their absence in my neck of the woods. Kerry and Bush bumper stickers are also scarce. I've been wondering why.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  21:24:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Apparently I'm not in a Sinclair area. If I were, that boycott would have started a few days ago. What kind of letter did you all write? Please Mr S, won't you please be nicer? (that's the new 'rolls eyes' smiley)

I'm telling you, send the boycott letters to the commercial sponsors with copies to Sinclair, and don't wait. We need to make it clear controlled media news and media mass political actions will not be tolerated.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 10/16/2004 21:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  22:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Luckily, Sinclair hasn't yet spread it's tentacles into Louisiana. Even so, I do not think my principles would allow me to help organize or endorse a boycott for ideological reasons. The editors of Sinclair have the right to exercise their freedom of speech just as we do. Unfortunately, Sinclair doesn't seem to feel the same way.
http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/a/p/1131/10-18-2004/20041018204503_23.html

The fault here should be placed firmly at the feet of our federal government for parceling off our publicly owned airwaves with little regulation and little or no gain to the rightful owners--The US taxpayer. Plus, our government lifted the restrictions preventing any company from owning too many media outlets.

Sinclair can force their stations to air whatever they are told to air. On the other hand, networks do not own their affiliates. So, those affiliates have the right to opt out of programming they disapprove of.

In the past, use of our public airwaves carried with it a price tag. Our legislators could make the rules, forcing companies into a contract of social responsibility, and a policy of equal time concerning matters of political interest. The Republicans made short work of that one, too. I can still here that fat little pompous ass of a prevaricating radio talk show host embrace the old law as the "Hush Rush" law. And, we bought it, hook, line and sinker--And we still haven't found the bottom.

I still don't agree with the boycott thing. Commercial boycotts intended to force the ideology or belief systems of a few on to the rest of us have been a favorite tool of the right all the way back to the time of "Married With Children," (maybe longer!). The intent of boycotts is to force the beliefs of a few onto the whole, or to stifle another's freedom of speech. I don't like it.

I will admit, though, I'm not far from jumping ship on this one. After reading stories like the one following, I may not choose to stand on principle. I don't think principle can stand up to the forces of propaganda, intentional distortion and constant outright lying.
http://www.tvbarn.com/ticker/archives/015590.html
http://www.hypocrites.com/article15348.html

(Man, Ive been away from these boards too long. So, please excuse the rambling nature of this post. I wrote it three times from scratch. Twice, when I got to the end, I went to my links to copy the addresses on this same page and lost everything. I never was any good at saving my work!)

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  02:36:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hmph. Scrooed it up again. Sorry 'bout that.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/20/2004 03:52:17
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  03:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

[quote]Originally posted by beskeptigal

Apparently I'm not in a Sinclair area. If I were, that boycott would have started a few days ago. What kind of letter did you all write? Please Mr S, won't you please be nicer? (that's the new 'rolls eyes' smiley)

I'm telling you, send the boycott letters to the commercial sponsors with copies to Sinclair, and don't wait. We need to make it clear controlled media news and media mass political actions will not be tolerated.

Brief and to the point.

I told them that in my opinion, they were about to attempt to influence a national election using information known to be in despute with military records; that I have a list of their sponsers (available at Eschaton) and will contact them, informing them that I will boycott their products if the film is shown, and so will everyone else that I can get to listen to me.

Apparently, there's been a lot of that going around and it seems to be working. Now I'm reading that they are only going to show bits and pieces of it. I plan to fire off another E tellling them that it ain't good enough, and review the original threat.

I'm also reading that Sinclair has lost a bunch of sponsers and it's stock has taken a painful hit over the last, few days.

It's probably wishful dreaming, but perhaps, if Sinclair gets enough public outrage, gets roughed up badly enough, the news organs will take the hint and at last return to serving that public.

Edited to add link. I couldn't find it at Eschaton (ya snooze, ya lose), so I had to google for it.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pol/45710374.html

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/20/2004 03:49:46
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  05:50:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Relitive to the matter is this link:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/atrios/sinclairny.pdf

T'would seem that the NY State Comptroller has a quanty of pointed questions for Sinclair's CEO. This guy has control of the state's 115 billion dollar retirement fund and the fund is a big investor in Sinlair.

Gettin' sticky.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  06:18:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I see that Sinclair stock has dropped 17% in the last 2 days. It's competitors have stayed essentially level. Hmmmmm.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  09:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Watching MSNBC and saw a story that some Sinclair stockholders were filing suit against the company over the tanking stock value.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  02:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Luckily, Sinclair hasn't yet spread it's tentacles into Louisiana. Even so, I do not think my principles would allow me to help organize or endorse a boycott for ideological reasons. The editors of Sinclair have the right to exercise their freedom of speech just as we do. .....The fault here should be placed firmly at the feet of our federal government for parceling off our publicly owned airwaves with little regulation and little or no gain to the rightful owners--The US taxpayer. Plus, our government lifted the restrictions preventing any company from owning too many media outlets.

.....I will admit, though, I'm not far from jumping ship on this one. After reading stories like the one following, I may not choose to stand on principle. I don't think principle can stand up to the forces of propaganda, intentional distortion and constant outright lying.
Well, boycotts should be used sparingly. I wouldn't encourage one to change a program like the moral police or something. But when the government failed to manage the airwaves, and the monopoly on free speech is controlling an election campaign, then you just have to act.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  03:02:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
In order to avoid apoplexy, I didn't watch it. But here's rundown from Madia Matters:

quote:
Fact check: Sinclair's A POW Story contained errors, only some of which were rebutted

On October 22 at 8 p.m. ET, Sinclair Broadcast Group aired a program titled A POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media that consisted of more than thirty minutes focused on Senator John Kerry's Vietnam War record, followed by less than four minutes purporting to examine President George W. Bush's service during the Vietnam era, and a final segment on the media. Parts of the anti-Kerry film Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal, as well as segments from a pro-Kerry film titled Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry, were shown during the broadcast. Kerry attackers and the program's host, Jeff Barnd, made a number of factually false statements, some of which were rebutted by Kerry defenders while others were left uncorrected. The overwhelming evidence that Bush shirked his Texas Air National Guard duty was glossed over: Viewers were told only that questions remain about whether Bush completed his required service.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200410230001

I'm wondering if this will turn out to be all that big of a deal.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  02:34:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
An update on the missing sign;

Several folks in the community have lost signs, most of which were Bush - Cheney signs. It appears that a few youngsters decided they would make great walls and a roof for a modest treefort set in a very large live oak.

Plus, the wife and I have been doing a lot of bicycling since my job was exported to Mexico or UAE or the Phillipines or where ever in the hell they want to build offshore oil platforms for cheap. (Yeah, that was sarcasm founded in severe frustration). Anyway, we've now found 14 Kerry - Edwards signs, and one of those signs covered an entire wall of a small business across the tracks! Of course, the Bush - Cheney signs are like a pox in most neighborhoods.

The Senate race and the House race in this area are wide open. They love the president, but are split in several different directions with the other races. One is humorous. Billy Tauzin, III is running for the House seat. His father is Billy Tauzin, Jr. who has been winning that race over and over again by landslides. So, as you would expect, Tauzin the younger simply puts "Tauzin" on his signs and nothing else. So, he'll probably win.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.