Poll Suggestions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  07:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
If you've got an idea for a poll you'd like to see the SFN run, here's the thread in which to make your suggestions. We - the SFN staff - like to see fully-fleshed poll ideas, with somewhere between four and eight possible answers, which will hopefully spark some interesting discussion. Decent ideas will get turned into poll threads of their own, and we will try to change the "Featured Poll" on a somewhat-regular basis.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  20:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Ok. Here's one idea. Feel free to add or re-word entries.

As a skeptic, which of these "fringe" topics do you feel has yet to be fully explored and is most deserving of further research?

1) UFO Sightings/Alien abductions

2) Ghosts and Poltergiests

3) ESP and Psychic Powers

4) Religious Miracles

5) Special Creation/Intelligent Design

6) Bigfoot or other undiscovered great apes

7) Alternative Healing Practices

8) None. They're all bogus and further research would simply be a waste of money and time.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/15/2004 20:13:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  20:29:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I like it, so here's your poll.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  20:34:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I like it, so here's your poll.

Awesome. I even cast the first vote.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  11:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Here's an idea for a poll: (Feel free to change the wording should you use it.)

Why are topics posted by the lunatic fringe so overwhelmingly popular?
  • Morbid fascination
  • We all have a little nut case in us
  • An effort should be made, no matter how futile
  • I can't help myself - I try but I just can't resist
  • The crazies are harmless and they amuse me
  • I have nothing better to do with my time

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  20:38:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'd just like to bump this topic. It's been over a year since we've seen any action here, after all.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  15:41:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Who is your favorite SFN member?

-list of all the regulars-

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  21:18:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I hope we have more than eight regulars, Ricky. I seem to remember us being more popular than that...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  21:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'd just like to bump this topic. It's been over a year since we've seen any action here, after all.

I just haven't seen the thread. how about:

what logical falicy irritates you the most?

ad homien

straw man

etc.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  10:24:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Saw this on another board. Not sure how to make the list. Assume today is Election Day. What presidential (living) candidate would you vote for today. Reword or come up with different names as you think appropriate.

1) George W. Bush
2) Al Gore
3) Nader
4) "Third" party (explain)
5) Hilary Clinton
6) Kerry
7) McCain
8) Other - explain

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  22:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
In your opinion, what sci fi movie comes closest to how the future will actually be?

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior -- The end of cheap oil.

Minority Report -- Automated cars, retinal scanners at the mall, and crimes being predicted by psychic police before they occur. (Ok, maybe everything but that last bit.)

Blade Runner -- Rampant pollution, urban sprawl, and just about every animal species driven to extinction. Oh, and genetically enhanced artificial humans used as slaves on off-world mining colonies.

I, Robot -- Cheap robotic labor, but they might just one day want to unionize... or worse.

A Clockwork Orange -- Society continues its decadent spiral into violence and hedonistic excess in the face of a militaristic police state which resorts to behavior modification techniques.

The Fifth Element -- The New Agers were right all along.

The Matrix -- Cybernetic humans will have the ability to "jack into" alternate realities.

The Day After Tomorrow -- Global warming hits harder and faster than anyone predicted.

Other?

Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/13/2006 00:28:19
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  23:12:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
HH, you left out 1984....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  03:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

GoddamnDude, I was just thinking we're halfway there already!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  06:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
How about this one:

Johnny Mnemonic -- Self-absorbed, cookie-cutter charicatures against a backdrop of a corporate gangland. With bad, bad acting.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

GoddamnDude, I was just thinking we're halfway there already!

Only half?

Oh, yeah. You're not in America.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  08:07:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Or, The Island. Which is basically the same, but with cooler cars, air-trains and flying bikes. Yeah, I'm deliberately leaving out the whole secret-society-to-harvest-human-organs-from-grown-up-well-fed-adults theme.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.