Creation/Evolution
 Skeptic Times and Copywrite
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

River

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  23:21:45  Show Profile  Send River an AOL message  Send River a Yahoo! Message Send River a Private Message
See http://www.skeptictimes.golivewire.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=534

I thought I might point out that this is a sad attempt to make you give up your rights to Intellectual Property. TK is trying make it so you, as the author, do not repeat anything that you might post at his site. This is of course incorrect for the only person who has permission to regulate how his words are used by others is the AUTHOR This is easy to circumvent legally (again what TK is doing is trying to make it so EVERY WORD that is posted in his forum becomes his property) by placing within your SIGNATURE this quote: "As the author of these words I allow anyone to reproduce and distribute them as they see fit."

Of course this is not really even necessary (you as the author are the only person with the rights to govern how your ideas and words are copied and distributed) since as the publisher tk cannot own your thoughts, words, concepts, ideas, etc...

I encourage everyone to look up how you are protected.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wnp

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

I want everyone to know about this in case tk tries to make a claim to your intellectual property or threatens you with legal recorse.

River

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  00:18:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
TK is trying make it so you, as the author, do not repeat anything that you might post at his site.

What a naive fellow. Copyrighting comments on a public forum. I'd laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  02:13:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Indeed!

But to what purpose, I wonder? With the exception of articles like Peptide's argument, very little comes across a forum worth copywriting. And even Peptide's is scarcly ground-breaking science.

"As through this life I've rambled,
I've seen lots of funny men.
Some'll rob you with a sixgun,
Other's with a fountain pen....." -- Woody Guthrie

River, welcome to SFN

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  08:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
We seem to have the permission, or at least Jimi's permission to post his arguments over here... Oh, and by the way, welcome River. I was wondering how long it would take you to make it over here....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  09:10:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Indeed, just as Kil I was wondering when you'd show up. This place "rocks the free world" as they say...

River, welcome here!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  09:13:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Speaking of copyright... Can TK let people post copyright material from somewhere else, then claim copyright? There has been several full length articles posted on Skeptic Times from elsewhere. Stuff that Dave_W would edit out quickly as lightning if it ever occurred here, just for copyright considerations.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
No Dr. That is completely illegal. You can quote sections and comment and even quote many sections if you do it right but just posting an article does not give you the copyright.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:09:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Perhaps I was a bit unclear... I didn't mean to imply that he claimed copyright specifically for the pieces posted on his site, but since he claims over-all copyright of the contents of the forum, that would inherently also include articles posted.

How does it work if he says that this article appeared at this or that website, with a link, or without a link but with a notice saying "Copyright (c) Thomas A. Andersson at Neo-works Studios 2004-10-21"

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Peptide
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:17:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Peptide a Private Message
I have already copied (word for word) my HERV argument from skeptic times to another forum where I am a regular. TK can kiss my ass if he tries to copyright my material. My words are my words, he doesn't own them.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:28:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Perhaps I was a bit unclear... I didn't mean to imply that he claimed copyright specifically for the pieces posted on his site, but since he claims over-all copyright of the contents of the forum, that would inherently also include articles posted.

How does it work if he says that this article appeared at this or that website, with a link, or without a link but with a notice saying "Copyright (c) Thomas A. Andersson at Neo-works Studios 2004-10-21"

Doc, I can claim copyright on sections of text that I post from other articles. It doesn't make it automatically so.

Even if he posts an entire article including copyright, the law states that it is a violation if he does not get permission to republish the entire work to an electronic medium from the copyright holder.

This website could help answer most of your questions concerning US Copyright laws.

http://www.copyright.gov/

Here's the stuff on USC Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 governing fair use.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  16:59:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Then tkster would be in deep shit if someone actually notified the copyright holders of the articles that have been posted on his forum...
I don't think I know of anyone that would do such a thing (it would be a cowardly way to shut him down), everyone here who also post there do it because we believe that we can make a difference, spread the light so-to-speak. At least I do.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  20:20:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Actually, even though I hate to say it, but tkster does have legal legs to stand on.

If he decides that he wants the rights to every post on his forum, it's his forum, and nobody else is forced to use it. In other words, when the members here on the SFN all agreed "that you will not post any information which is vulgar, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws," it was, indeed, a legally-binding agreement. If one of you were to do such a thing, and we booted you for it, you've got zero legal recourse for getting unbanned from the SFN.

So, if people post in tkster's "Formal Debates" forum (and the evolution/creation debate, by the way, even though it's not in that folder, predates its inception anyway), they implicitly agree to abide by his rules. And his rules state, explicitly, that he will be granted the copyrights of all posts there.

In other words, if you don't want to surrender your rights, don't post there. It's that simple.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  04:53:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Dave, that would mean that anything that is our own stuff, that we write there, will belong to tkster. But what about articles that clearly isn't his to begin with... Like this one?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  09:55:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
No, Mab, as far as I can tell, tkster's copyright policy only covers this one folder on his forums, and all that's in there now is his policy regarding that folder (linked to in the OP). That American Conservative article (posted in a different folder) is a clear piece of copyright theft by Lemming, which none of the mods over there (or tkster) seems to understand. It wouldn't have lasted a day posted here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.