General Skepticism
 Artificial Intelligence just got more complicated
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  06:31:01  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/11/02/brain.dish/index.html

Hows that for AI... scary potential.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  06:35:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
cool, definitely very cool. I'm gonna buy me some rats and some electrodes!

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  10:39:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Go Science Go!

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  10:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Perhaps I'd just order that allergenic-free cat instead.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  12:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
How exactly do you go about hooking up a neural network to a flight simulator?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  12:28:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I am not very knowledgable on this, so I will ask a dumb question: How do you keep the neurons 'alive'?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  13:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
good question...that I cant answer, They can grow skin in a petrie dish so I guess its not that hard.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  15:14:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

I am not very knowledgable on this, so I will ask a dumb question: How do you keep the neurons 'alive'?

If it's anything like culturing other cells on petri dishes it's largely a matter of adding a solution of proper metabolites to it every once in a while. Aging of the cells and accumulation of toxins will likely be a problem soon though.

Does anyone know if this research is going to be published in a peer-reviewed journal soon, because it's absolutely fascinating.

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  15:19:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

quote:
Originally posted by furshur

If it's anything like culturing other cells on petri dishes it's largely a matter of adding a solution of proper metabolites to it every once in a while. Aging of the cells and accumulation of toxins will likely be a problem soon though.

Hmm, apparently i was wrong:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11564520

quote:

We surmounted survival problems by using culture dish lids that form a gas-tight seal, and incorporate a transparent hydrophobic membrane (fluorinated ethylene-propylene) that is selectively permeable to oxygen (O(2)) and carbon dioxide (CO(2)), and relatively impermeable to water vapor. This prevents contamination and greatly reduces evaporation, allowing the use of a non-humidified incubator. We have employed this technique to grow dissociated cortical cultures from rat embryos on multi-electrode arrays. After more than a year in culture, the neurons still exhibit robust spontaneous electrical activity.

great stuff, i wish i had the time to delve into it more deeply.

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  06:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I think they just used the brain as an intermediary for the control signals, It didnt fly itself.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  07:30:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
That is so bloody cool.
And people ask me why I love science.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.