New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  14:28:17  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
I know Hovind doesn't do written debates, but just to ensure it I challenged him on some of his theological positions on the Bible:

quote:
I am the political Op-Ed columnist around here in Lubbock Texas well known as "tk" the writer. I would like to challenge Dr. Hovind to a written debate. Dr. Hovind claims that the Bible is correct, and I would like to debate him on theological fallacies and arguments with the Bible.

The reply I was expecting:

quote:
Dr. Hovind is entirely to busy for a written debate. However, if you would be interested in a live debate, in front of an audience (and able to be video taped), where hundreds of people can hear the entire thing... let me know and we will try to arrange it!

tk

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  14:58:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'm pleased to see that this comes as no suprise to you. Hovind knows all too well what would happen to him if he tangled with anyone even half knowlegable on the ToE. Hell, even an ignoramous like myself could mop the floor with him in a written format.

Write him back and offer to do it in a chat room where the audience might be thousands. If he refuses, tell him I say he's a pussy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  17:43:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Dr. Hovind is entirely to busy for a written debate. However, if you would be interested in a live debate, in front of an audience (and able to be video taped), where hundreds of people can hear the entire thing... let me know and we will try to arrange it!

I don't understand why a written debate is any more or less time-consuming than a live one. Assume, for a minute that Hovind gets a proof-reader (this person could help spell-check when Hovind is "to" busy). Now, how much time would he need to have a written debate? Any introductory statement would be easy-- he could simply piece together stuff he's already written or take material from transcripts of his live debates, clean them up (have the proof-reader look at them...) and part one is done. This would take perhaps an hour or two-- less time than it would take for him to fly to whatever location for the debate.

He'd then have to do the second part of the written debate. This would take more time-- he'd have to read tkster's argument and prepare material to address it. He'd also have to gather whatever material to make his points for creation/against evolution. Again, much of this could be taken from the stuff he's already written or pulled from transcripts of previous live debates. This would take several hours to put together. But would it take any longer than would the day he spent at the debate site-- meeting creationist allies, a meal or two, prep for the debate, the debate itself, and post-debate socializing? I don't think so.

Then he'd have to conlude. Again, it'd be longer than the opening arguments as he'd have to address tkster's material. But he closing salvo would probably be a rehash of things he's already said. It would certainly not take any longer than the plane trip home.

All told, I think that Hovind could easily do a written debate in the same time it takes him to fly to a place and debate live.

The guy's a hack-- and a bad horrible one at that!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  18:47:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This may seem harrassing, but if you're interested in a debate, tk, why don't you debate one of us about whether or not plagiarism is satire? Really, I'm just curious as hell about how you justify that to yourself. And in that light, that Hovind won't agree to a written debate wasn't news even back when you were still in elementary school, so I don't get how you can even imply a moral high ground when all you've done is whipped the dead horse one more time. It's a yawner, and the real story out of Lubbock is "Self-Described Political Op-Ed Columnist Busted for Humor Theft."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  21:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

This may seem harrassing, but if you're interested in a debate, tk, why don't you debate one of us about whether or not plagiarism is satire? Really, I'm just curious as hell about how you justify that to yourself. And in that light, that Hovind won't agree to a written debate wasn't news even back when you were still in elementary school, so I don't get how you can even imply a moral high ground when all you've done is whipped the dead horse one more time. It's a yawner, and the real story out of Lubbock is "Self-Described Political Op-Ed Columnist Busted for Humor Theft."

The Hovind-won't-debate thing I knew was old hat. But I must be missing something about the humor thing...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  21:14:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Sorry, I forgot to provide this link.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  21:43:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

Sorry, I forgot to provide this link.
Aahhh. Yes-- I think I got a humorous birthday card with an abridged/slightly different cows-explain-religions (or government types-- I forget) thing. It's funny-- sort of.

What I don't get is how The Skeptic Times is really a satire of anything. I mean, satire is usually defined as:
quote:
1. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. . .

2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.

I guess sometimes he attacks stupidity, though I largely suspect that, for instance, the "dumb mail" section is all made up. And then, you usually see satire attacking something that people are familiar with, e.g. The Onion mocking USA Today with their particularly humorous infographics-- a satire of the largely lame, vapid, dumbed down USA Today Snapshots. Who or what the Skeptic Times is satirizing is not usually clear...

ETA: Actually, the Onion's STATshot is a closer satire of the USA Today's Snapshot (duh). Still-- much of the Onion's layout and stories are parodies of USA Today.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 02/08/2005 21:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  22:20:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Or the Saturday Night Live sketch in which they mocked MSNBC's overuse of graphics. At one point, they even said, "And now, for no particular reason, here's a picture of the Terminator" (big still from the movie appears on screen). Near the end of the piece, both anchors were looking out at the audience through a little tiny rectangle of clear space on the TV screen. Funny, funny stuff.

But yeah, whether or not the Skeptic Times satirizes anything is another perfectly good subject for debate, along with the one I suggested above.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  01:58:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I don't understand why a written debate is any more or less time-consuming than a live one.
We all decide what we are willing to spend our time on. We may take the time to engage in time consuming activities we enjoy but still be to busy for things that take less time that we don't like (or things in wich we know we will fail miserably).

Hovind won't participate in a written debate and W won't participate in a bare knuckle fight. Life is unfair.

I saw Hovind in this "debate" some time ago. Can't find a transcript, though...
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  08:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:

Interesting point. I was not aware that I claimed to have written that ... some of which I did come up with:

quote:
MICROSOFT
You have one cow and your neighbor has another cow.  You buy your neighbors cow so you have a monopoly over the cows and control your neighbor.
HETEROSEXUAL
You have two cows, they both mate and have a calf.  The both split up and the calf has to pick which cow he likes more.
HOMOSEXUAL
You have two cows, they each like a different cow of the same gender and they never mate.  They die and you are left with no offspring.
METROSEXUAL
You have two cows.  They are both confused about which gender they are and do odd things to impress the other gender by being them.

However, upon reading it again, I did claim to have written that. I will print a correction in the Skeptic Times 6.1 as my statement should have read "I found something funny to post since Hannah never finished her article."

Edit - I did fix the website, but do need to print a correction on that.

tk
Edited by - tkster on 02/09/2005 08:45:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  12:53:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hey tkstr, cut Dr? Dino a little slack, why don't ya? I mean... shit... I mean the poor bastard speaks some 700 times a year, y'know? All that FTL and time travel has got to wear him down a lot.

And o' course, there's his role as a benevolent landlord and the state and IRS tax persecution, not to mention the operation of his magnificent theme park to consider... Hell, he's hardly got time to change his hash-marked skivvies between important events. With all that and passing out Chick tracts, he's barely got time to eat enough to get the skivvies hash-marked in the first place.

I hopelessly dream that he'll some day realize that there's not much point in preaching to the choir and go to where the challenge is. Would that it could be here (drool, slobber).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.