Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  08:46:02  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Have some fun with your friends. The Flash Mind Reader can read your mind!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  10:28:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Pretty cool Wendy. It did take me a couple minutes to figure out how it is done. I'll show it to my kids today. It should boggle their minds....

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  12:42:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Thanks, furshur. It took me a little time, and ultimately it was a card trick I remembered that lead me to the solution.

My kids love math, so I'll be interested to see how quickly they realize how this works.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  13:10:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OK, I give. First I did it without any math. It was right a couple times and wrong a couple. Then I did it with the math - same result. It's weird when it was right but it wasn't always right.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  13:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OK, I decided to be more scientific. I tried it a few more times with the math and it was correct 5 out of 5. It missed 3 of 3 without the math. I am totally stumped.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  13:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

OK, I give. First I did it without any math. It was right a couple times and wrong a couple. Then I did it with the math - same result. It's weird when it was right but it wasn't always right.

It was right for me without fail. I've sent it to some friends and they say the same. I'll be the first to admit that I'm lousy at math, but math is half the key. I'm reluctant to post the solution here. I like to figure these things out for myself, and others may wish to do the same. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like though, and I will send you the solution.

-- Susan Ertz
Edited by - Wendy on 02/14/2005 13:22:17
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  13:22:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OK, I see how it is done. But I don't want to spoil it for others. Don't post the answer, Wendy. It's more fun to be mystified.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/14/2005 13:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  14:17:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Hehe, I knew it already

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  14:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I love the good old Star Trek Transporter sound effect, when you click the crystal ball. I've seen this page before, but forgot about the sfx...
Thanks Wendy for making my night.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  22:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Showed it to my son. He had seen it and had sat around with another friend and his friend's family and figured it out. Well I'm glad he had some quality time with someone anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  08:41:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I love the good old Star Trek Transporter sound effect, when you click the crystal ball. I've seen this page before, but forgot about the sfx...
Thanks Wendy for making my night.

My pleasure, Dr. Mabuse. It was a hit last night at my house, too.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  12:34:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:

It was right for me without fail.

Well I figured out why it it was correct so often on the occasions I didn't do the math. And I must have been sloppy on the occasions I did the math and the 'mind reader' was wrong.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  13:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
This is much better than the card selecting version I saw. Same principal though.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  07:41:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

Well I figured out why it it was correct so often on the occasions I didn't do the math.

My husband played around with it without doing the math too. For him, that was the best way to figure out how it works.

I'm such a stick in the mud when it comes to following instructions, it never even occurred to me to try it without the math.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  14:01:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Being in discrete math, I just had to try to come up with a proof for this.

***WARNGING: below contains the answer to why it works***

Let x be an integer, such that x >= 10 and x <= 99.

Therefore the first digit which make up x can be described as:

d1 = floor(x/10) (the floor of 7.3 is 7, the floor of 8.9 is 8)

While the second digit is the remainder of this:

x = 10*floor(x/10) + d2 (quotient-remainder theorm, where d2 is the remainder)

d2 = x - 10*floor(x/10)

The sum of these two digits are:

s = floor(x/10) + (x - 10*floor(x/10))
s = x - 9*floor(x/10)

When this number is subtracted from the original x (as is described in the rules):

n = x - s
n = x - (x - 9*floor(x/10))
n = 9*floor(x/10)

Let the integer y = floor(x/10) (floor must, by definition, be an integer)

n = 9*y

Thefefore the final number n must be divisible by 9.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  14:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
****More spoiler**** so don't scroll down unless you want the BIG SECRET revealed.

Basically, per Ricky's solution, you get a set of numbers. The SAME symbol is assigned this entire set.

Also, just to confuse you even more.... the symbol assigned to this set cycles through a group of symbols.

Proof? Look at the number 9. Click the orb. Try again (and note that the symbol for 9 will have changed). Everytime you click the orb, the symbol assigned to 9 will appear.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.