Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  14:00:37  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'm finding this a little hard to accept.
quote:
Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution

By JOHN SCHWARTZ
Published: May 28, 2005
Fossils at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History have been used to prove the theory of evolution. Next month the museum will play host to a film intended to undercut evolution.

The Discovery Institute, a group in Seattle that supports an alternative theory, "intelligent design," is announcing on its Web site that it and the director of the museum "are happy to announce the national premiere and private evening reception" on June 23 for the movie, "The Privileged Planet: The Search for Purpose in the Universe."

The film is a documentary based on a 2004 book by Guillermo Gonzalez, an assistant professor of astronomy at Iowa State University, and Jay W. Richards, a vice president of the Discovery Institute, that makes the case for the hand of a creator in the design of Earth and the universe.

News of the Discovery Institute's announcement appeared on a blog maintained by Denyse O'Leary, a proponent of the intelligent design theory, who called it "a stunning development." But a museum spokesman, Randall Kremer, said the event should not be taken as support for the views expressed in the film. "It is incorrect for anyone to infer that we are somehow endorsing the video or the content of the video," he said.

I am highly pissed!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  14:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
They should put a big banner over the entrance that reads:

"Fiction Section"

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  14:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

"Fiction Section"

Under the subcategory "comedy".

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  15:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The Thumb's take on it:
quote:
Smithsonian Warming to ID?
Posted by Burt Humburg on May 28, 2005 05:09 AM

Word has reached the ears of the Thumb (!) that the Discovery Institute has managed to get the Smithsonian to co-sponsor an ID-friendly presentation, surprising us to say the least. (Indeed, Prof. Steve Steve was as crestfallen over the matter as anyone with a fixed expression could be.)

How could the Smithsonian, the quintessential archive of evolution as natural history in our nation, have agreed to co-host this video? How could the director be “Happy to announce” this private screening? Does the director even know if any Pandas were harmed in the production of this film?

Today, the NY Times has an article that explains the situation. We'll discuss this and other possible violations of Panda rights on the flipside.

The article explains how the Discovery Institute donated $16,000 to the Smithsonian. In exchange for this contribution, the Smithsonian allowed them to use the Baird Auditorium. And, instead of advancing science or talking about any actual controversy, the DI are playing a video that involved Intelligent Design.

We are going to be hearing about ID's new-found "national scientific support" for a long time. All bullshit, of course, but people will listen.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  16:11:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
We are going to be hearing about ID's new-found "national scientific support" for a long time. All bullshit, of course, but people will listen.

Scientists research to give their ideas credibility. IDers buy it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/28/2005 16:11:37
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  17:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

"Fiction Section"

Under the subcategory "comedy".

Hey, Siberia. You know I was just thinking of you the other day, mostly about how long it's been since you visited. Good to see you posting again.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  19:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Last post in the Panda's thread right now says, in part,
...I know that the staff and the administration of the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History endorse the statement of the American Association for the Advancement of Science on intelligent design [which isn't an endorsement by any means]...

I don't know how the Smithsonian ended up renting the auditorium to the Discovery Institute, and neither do the other Smithsonian staff I have consulted in the last few hours. The rental certainly does not reflect any endorsement by the staff or the administration of intelligent design.
As said earlier in that thread, this seems to be the museum's way of saying "thanks for the cash," and nothing else.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  21:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
This just bothers me. Even if they are just 'taking' the money. The reason why the group wants to get it in there is to give it credibility. Which, it will...

The hoopleheads never will look beyond the fact that it was in the Smithsonian, and therefore now has even more 'weight' behind the ID arguement.

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  23:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Someone should tell the IDiots that they don't even have a theory. If they want credibility perhaps they should do actual scientific work? Oh no wait, that would be science and not religion-based pseudo science, and they can't have that, can they?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  01:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Last post in the Panda's thread right now says, in part,
...I know that the staff and the administration of the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History endorse the statement of the American Association for the Advancement of Science on intelligent design [which isn't an endorsement by any means]...

I don't know how the Smithsonian ended up renting the auditorium to the Discovery Institute, and neither do the other Smithsonian staff I have consulted in the last few hours. The rental certainly does not reflect any endorsement by the staff or the administration of intelligent design.
As said earlier in that thread, this seems to be the museum's way of saying "thanks for the cash," and nothing else.

Politics rears it's ugly head again, methinks.

ID has one, large advantage: they are well funded. No hustling for grants, they. Which brings up an interesting question: whence comes their money? Sixteen grand is a lot of bread to toss at a couple of hours of probably dull and certainly misleading self promotion.

Of course, they expect returns and returns they will get in the form of a "we presented at the Smithsonian" argument that will be used effectivly at places like the KS idiotcy and the upcoming debates in PA. Further, I'd not be suprised if this vidio were to be presented at these things and touted as accepted by the Smithsonian.

I rather think that the Smithsonian will regret this when "thirty pieces of silver" remarks start floating around.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/29/2005 01:35:30
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  09:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Which brings up an interesting question: whence comes their money?

I'd guess that some Christians are rather generous with their donations. Here in Sydney that Hillsong group (whatever they are called) started out in a hall of some high school. Now they are building their own church.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  11:28:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Which brings up an interesting question: whence comes their money?
Ahmanson. A billionaire who, up until just a few years ago, used to be a Christian Reconstructionist (out to base the entirety of the U.S. Government on Biblical law). He was, and may still be, the #1 bankroller of the Discovery Institute. If I remember correctly, he put up the $2 million (or so) which started the DI.

And, of course, with the things Wells has said, I can't imagine that Reverend Moon isn't a major DI benefactor, also. As is discussed in the Panda thread, how Christian fundamentalists get along with a guy who claims to be Jesus' brother is a real poser.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  12:56:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
And, of course, with the things Wells has said, I can't imagine that Reverend Moon isn't a major DI benefactor, also. As is discussed in the Panda thread, how Christian fundamentalists get along with a guy who claims to be Jesus' brother is a real poser.
Well, Dave, to be cynacle about it, I imagine the rank-and-file Evangelicals (the Red-Staters who go to Megachurch, watch NASCAR, think that the 'death tax' might take away ther family farm, etc.)don't know much about Moon, while the elites who are taking his money don't care because they're, well, taking his money.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  15:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by skepticality

This just bothers me. Even if they are just 'taking' the money. The reason why the group wants to get it in there is to give it credibility. Which, it will...

The hoopleheads never will look beyond the fact that it was in the Smithsonian, and therefore now has even more 'weight' behind the ID arguement.

Indeed this is a problem. The Smithsonian needs to carefully screen who rents their place (and by association, their name).

Movements like this have no foothold on Sweden that I'm aware of, but Swedish hotels and places that has localities for rent usually does not allow Nationalistic Parties (there are two or three of them. They are small, but the do stir up trouble enough to get headlines every now and then) to rent. Simply because they don'w want to get associated with them.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  05:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
AiG's take on it:
quote:
The Smithsonian Institution makes “intelligent” decision
Agrees to co-sponsor film premiere that supports design theory

by Pam Sheppard, AiG–USA

May 30, 2005

The Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C., known as one of the greatest evolutionary propaganda machines in the world, made news on May 28 with its recent decision to co-sponsor, along with Discovery Institute, the national premiere for “The Privileged Planet: The Search for Purpose in the Universe.”

But is it a film intended to undercut evolution as the New York Times reported (May 28) in an article, “Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution”? Not according to Discovery Institute, the Seattle-based intelligent design “think tank.” According to their blog, Evolution News & Views, “The Privileged Planet” is not about biological evolution.

“It makes the case for intelligent design in the universe based on astronomy and cosmology,” writes Rob Crowther of the Discovery Institute. “It doesn't deal at all with the Darwinian account of how life developed.” He goes on to say, “Although much of the public controversy over intelligent design has focused on the application of design to biology, it's important to remember that design theory itself reaches well beyond biology, and that some of the strongest evidence for design comes from such fields as physics, astronomy, and cosmology.”

They pussyfoot around a little, the reason being that ID doesn't support a 6 day creation. Yet. But a current of ill-concealed delight flows through the article.

In my opinion, the Smithsonian fucked up bigtime in even considering letting these clowns in the door. Sixteen large ain't worth the anti-science repercussions that will stem from it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  05:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
So all the Neo-Nazis gotta do is donate 16k and they can get a holocaust denial film shown! Fuck you, smithsonian a-holes, I hope your reading, sellouts.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.