NASA doctors photos from Mars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  13:03:41  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
http://www.libertythink.com/totalinformation/BlueMars.htm

Enjoy!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  13:12:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

http://www.libertythink.com/totalinformation/BlueMars.htm

Enjoy!

I swear this was a topic once, right down to some jokes about the "golf ball" image on the bottom of that link. (Or am I just having a really bad case of deja vu?) The answer, if I remember right, was NASA is changing images--but in order to correct them, not disguise them.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/09/2005 13:13:03
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  13:13:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I admit I didn't do a search, so I apologize if this has been posted before.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  21:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
For the answer see, NASA Is Not Altering Mars Colors.
quote:
The answer is that the color chips on the sundial have different colors in the near-infrared range of Pancam filters. For example, the blue chip is dark near 600 nm, where humans see red light, but is especially bright at 750 nm, which is used as "red" for many Pancam images. So it appears pink in RGB composites.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  11:05:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
NASA uses false color all the time to highlight features. Often pics don't even get taken in real color and have to be altered to their best guess as to what the scene might look like to the human eye. This is no secret either; most pics they post have their color discussed - whether it's false or been altered to a more natural state.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 07/12/2005 11:06:23
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  12:14:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Many of the best images are composites of non-visible and visible light, non-visible of course needs tuning so that it can be interpreted by our brains.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.