Capital Hill Blue article on Bush's Obscenities
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  15:45:57  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I was recently forwarded an article entitled Bush's Obscene Tirades Rattle White House from someone in my local Humanist group. The article was originally published by Capital Hill Blue: http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7267.shtml

As delicious as this article was and as much as I hate President Bush, I was skeptical of the article largely because of how extreme the claims it made against President Bush were, without having sufficient evidence to back them up.

NewsBusters (an online critic of liberal-leaning media) had these criticisms, most of which I agree with: http://newsbusters.org/node/721

But I think the sarcastic tone and reactionary and extreme nature of the NewsBusters article detracts from it. Specifically, they say:

(the article) graced the pages of Capital Hill Blue on August 25, 2005 and then graced the pages of the Islamic propaganda web-paper the “Party for Islamic Renewal” on August 27, 2005. This completely unsubstantiated exposé is now the article of choice for Islamics and will no doubt be taken as gospel.

This statement makes a sweeping assumption about "Islamics" (notice they didn't write "extremist Islamics", just "Islamics"). Regardless, should we refrain from publishing truth just because it can be used by enemies? (I'm not saying the original article is truthful, just that extremists using it is not a reason for it to be censored.)

NewBusters also says: Why don't these “sources” ever go to Barbara Walters or Brit Hume? Why do they all stampede to Capital Hill Blue?

While it is a valid criticism that none of the sources from the Capital Blue article can be substantiated, there have been many things written by (usually retired) journalists speaking out about how the mainstream media is heavily discouraged from publicizing certain types of info. One example from my father's experience (my dad's a journalist) is that when he was in Cuba years ago, a foreign service officer was willing to be frank with the media about how the embargo was hurting more than helping and other stuff that made the US government look bad. My dad published his article based on what the officer said, but AP never picked it up. The reason why that foreign service officer was being so frank was because he knew the mainstream national media wasn't there, and they'd never pick it up based on the report of some small-town reporter (which my dad was at the time.) So Washington aids very well could be going to Barbara Waltners or Brit Hume - that doens't mean that Walters or Hume will pick up the story.

Anyway, my basic analysis is that both the authors of the Capital Hill Blue and NewsBusters articles are being somewhat dishonest due to their partisan biases.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/28/2005 22:26:18

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  18:50:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Stories like that always make me echo Willie in Bill Mauldin's Back Home- "pass th' grain of salt, please".

Claims of inside information crank my spider sense up, doubly so if the claims would be politically pleasing.

And yet...

Woodrow Wilson suffered a severe stroke in August 1919. From that point on,
quote:
From that time on the President was incapable of carrying out his duties. Wilson's inner circle, consisting of the First Lady, his personal physician, private secretary, and Secretary of State, kept the President's condition a secret. No one was allowed to see him. The Cabinet and press were told that Wilson had suffered a nervous breakdown. Vice President Thomas Marshall was never informed. The American people never knew that their President was an invalid.

source: http://www.healthmedialab.com/html/president/wilson.html

Imagine that. The President spent the last year and a half of his term at Death's Deli Counter waiting for his number to be called and even the Vice President never knew a thing about it.

The media were also very compliant about concealing the extent of FDR's disability:
quote:
Few Americans were ever aware of FDR's disability. This was due in large part to the cooperation of members of the press, who almost always photographed him from the waist up. FDR insisted on this policy when he re-entered politics after his bout with polio, and it was continued during his presidency.

source: http://www.healthmedialab.com/html/president/roosevelt.html

And Little Boots has had a reputation as a teppichfresser going back to his Texas governor days...

So what's to think? Damon Runyon odds? (six to five and take your choice)

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  19:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios
And Little Boots has had a reputation as a teppichfresser going back to his Texas governor days...
Huh? I'm guessing "Little Boots" is Bush but I have no idea what that name is supposed to reference. And my online translator gives teppichfresser as a "carpet glutton," whatever that means. What would be the equivalent English idiom?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  11:54:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios
Huh? I'm guessing "Little Boots" is Bush but I have no idea what that name is supposed to reference. And my online translator gives teppichfresser as a "carpet glutton," whatever that means. What would be the equivalent English idiom?

"Little Boots" is the English translation of Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus' nickname, Caligula.

Teppichfresser, or "carpet chewer" is a term for someone who frequently throws screaming temper tantrums. It was applied to a certain dead Central European dictator, so I found it a handy way to commit a stealth violation of Godwin's Law.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.