Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  05:49:01  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/09/01/MNGLPEG8JL1.DTL

quote:
Scientists have compared the genetic blueprints of humans and chimpanzees for the first time and discovered thousands of genes that are virtually identical in both species -- confirming the long-held belief that chimps are humanity's closest living relatives.

But more than that, the scientists said, the landmark finding promises important advances in human disease research and supports many of the insights on evolution proposed by Charles Darwin 150 years ago.

God did it.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Beat me to it. pleco. Ya snooze, ya lose, eh?

It's some very interesting research and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Am also looking forward to Ham's, et al, apologetics. He's going to have to streach it to cover this one. Or call the whole study a fraud....

Edit: AiG had this article, however.
quote:

Primetime for “primates”
by Mark Looy, Vice President of Outreach, AiG–USA

August 30, 2005

We had resisted commenting on the scantily clad men and women who went on exhibit last Friday at the London Zoo in England (frolicking behind a sign reading “Warning: Humans in their Natural Environment”). But such exhibitionism1 has generated so much press and so many allusions to man's supposed evolutionary link to primates that we decided to comment.

TV clips and photos in newspapers and websites have shown eight people in skimpy bathing suits (with fig leaves pinned on, a la Genesis, among a few of the exhibit's allusion to the creation/evolution issue) as part of a new “animal” display at this famous zoo. The exhibit even features the kind of description—man's dietary habits, threats to his survival, type of habitat, etc.—usually reserved for creatures housed at the zoo.

After the first news accounts appeared in the British press, the USA-based Associated Press (AP) began circulating an article which revealed that behind the exhibit's implied ape-and-man link was a deliberate evolutionary motivation. Zoo spokeswoman Polly Wills was quoted by the AP to freely admit the exhibit's evolution agenda; the zoo, she says, wants to teach “members of the public that the human is just another primate.” As a visible way to buttress this evolutionary claim, the zoo has the three men and five women displayed next to (but separated by a fence) their “primate relatives.” (The AP writer used these hackneyed words, “primate relatives,” which are so commonly seen in most zoos today).

From here, it wanders off into the usual....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/01/2005 06:21:38
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  07:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
... allusions to man's supposed evolutionary link to primates...

[...]

... three men and five women displayed next to (but separated by a fence) their "primate relatives."
It's sad that there's so much effort invested by the stupid people to convince everyone else that they should be stupid, too. It's like they're declaring, "We don't have the intellect to understand science and logic, and by god we don't want the rest of you to understand either!" Hey, Mark Looy, humans are primates. Get over it.

pri·mate n. A primate is any member of the biological order Primates, the group that contains all lemurs, monkeys, and apes, including humans.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:04:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Don't you get it?
God tried and tested several genes on the Chimp before incorporating his ideas into the human being. Just like any designer use successful parts of earlier designs in new ones.

Just look at the similarities in the front of cars like Volkswagen Scirocco, DeLorean, and Lotus Esprit. They all share the same designer, even though they are of different kinds. It just make sense!
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/gobbo/hg_foto/auto/auto_scirocco2.jpg
http://www.asaa66.dsl.pipex.com/blogger/delorean.jpg
http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/lotus/lotus_esprit_v8_1998_s.jpg

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
I'm no biologist. Haven't we known that we share over 98% of our DNA for some time? Surely that implies that some genes will be identical and code for the same proteins?

What's new?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:53:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Yo verlch (or other like-minded folks), whaddaya think? Any pearls of wisdom? Alternate explanations? Or just dismiss it as fraud?

quote:
Lining up 3 billion bits of genetic code, the chimp genome team determined that 96 percent of the protein-coding genes in both chimps and humans were identical, while in some stretches of DNA where genes either regulate other genes or whose function is unknown, as much as 99 percent of the genetic material in both is identical, the scientists concluded.

Even more significant, they said, are the many gene sequences that remain different between the primates known as Homo sapiens sapiens and our close cousins, the chimp species called Pan troglodytes. Among the 35 million tiny bits of DNA in the human genome that differ from chimps, for example, lie clues to the manner in which natural selection -- the basic machinery of evolution -- has given humans the unique ability to walk upright, to use language and to think, reason and develop complex tools, said Dr. Robert Waterston of the University of Washington, the senior author of the principal comparative study. Mutations in the DNA of many of those genes may well have occurred within the past 250,000 years, and because they proved so beneficial, they spread rapidly throughout the human population, he said.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 09/01/2005 08:56:23
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  09:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Yo verlch (or other like-minded folks), whaddaya think? Any pearls of wisdom? Alternate explanations? Or just dismiss it as fraud?

The one that I heard Duane Gish use years ago is that a cloud is 99% water and a watermelon is 97% water but they are nothing alike.

I know, I know, it is pretty weak. All the bussed-in creationist lemmings in the audience applauded it. Never underestimate the universe's power to invent a better idiot.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  09:06:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
a cloud is 99% water and a watermelon is 97% water but they are nothing alike.

That's the best they could come up with? Sheesh...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

I would not say I am of the same mind as Verlch, but it's the 1% that makes all the difference.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:44:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Hey Robb - it is true that the differences make the difference (he he) - the point being though that the vast majority is shared, showing the linkage between the species. It is not coincidence.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 09/01/2005 11:45:25
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:59:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb...

I would not say I am of the same mind as Verlch, but it's the 1% that makes all the difference.
Of course the 1% difference is not the significant aspect of the research, the 96% to 99% similarity in the genes is. The study continues to substantiate that chimpanzees and humans share common ancestry at some point in our distant past.

Now, if the intent of the research were to further discredit the already unsupported notion that humans were created by some magical bogeyman named God, it has actually done a good job of that. But of course that wasn't the objective of the project.

Beyond the cultural byproduct, that of giving creationists another opportunity to misinterpret, misunderstand, and look even more foolish than they already do, the research is relevant and has legitimate importance to humanity. The findings allow new scientific advances to be achieved in the fields of human biology, health, and medicine.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:07:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

Hey Robb - it is true that the differences make the difference (he he)
my point was not well made. I was trying to make the point that it only takes one percent difference in genetic makeup to make the great differences we see in chimps and humans. It is quite amazing.
quote:
the point being though that the vast majority is shared, showing the linkage between the species. It is not coincidence.

I agree it is not coincidence.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:28:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
my point was not well made. I was trying to make the point that it only takes one percent difference in genetic makeup to make the great differences we see in chimps and humans. It is quite amazing.

It is amazing.

The study of genetics is granting us some amazing insights, and we are just getting started.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  15:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:
a cloud is 99% water and a watermelon is 97% water but they are nothing alike.

That's the best they could come up with? Sheesh...

Yeah, and it's not even close to correct.

It may be 99% humidity in the cloud, but it's still mostly oxygen and nitrogen. What can the water content be in the cloud? I bet no more than a few percent. I could calculate it, I guess, but I don't have neither the time or the energy to do it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  07:33:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
ICR to the rescue:Genomics at ICR (#385)!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  07:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

ICR to the rescue:Genomics at ICR (#385)!

From that article:

quote:
Considering all the elements that determine sequence homology, when an entire sequence comparison is finally made between the human and chimpanzee genomes, the actual amount of DNA sequence homology is almost certainly going to be less than 90%.

I wonder if they will revise since their prediction was way off.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.