Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  19:30:08  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Or maybe not. January 23 is the unhappiest day of the year.

quote:
Cliff Arnall, a health psychologist at Cardiff University, has devised a formula to work out the worst day of the year and has come up with Jan 23 for 2006.

His calculation is based on the poorest weather, debts owed for seasonal spending, the time since Christmas, the period of time before you abandon New Year's resolutions, the dates when motivation levels seems to be at their lowest and the timing for the need for action to escape the blues.

Hope your day hasn't sucked too bad. Cheer up, it only gets better from here on out.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  19:48:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Lol, actually I felt today like I was finally coming out of a nagging funk. I managed to pay off some debts, including my last car payment. And January 23rd is about the time I first start trying to make good on my News Year's resolutions. I guess I'm just a slow starter.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/23/2006 19:50:37
Go to Top of Page

UncleJ

41 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  20:20:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UncleJ a Private Message
Actually I was really in a bad mood yesterday. Today seemed to go pretty good but there are still a couple of hours to go. Maybe I can pick a fight with the wife!

"The Church says the Earth is flat. But I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the Moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." - F. Magellan

"I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!" - H. Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  20:48:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Or maybe not. January 23 is the unhappiest day of the year.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Cliff Arnall, a health psychologist at Cardiff University, has devised a formula to work out the worst day of the year and has come up with Jan 23 for 2006.

His calculation is based on the poorest weather, debts owed for seasonal spending, the time since Christmas, the period of time before you abandon New Year's resolutions, the dates when motivation levels seems to be at their lowest and the timing for the need for action to escape the blues.

Please write to him and tell him, No it's not!
I have no debt, I make no resolutions (although I did sort of this year and have so far kept it), school starts soon so I'm getting really motivated. The only thing he had going for him was the weather and today was odd otherwise I like this time of year. Unusually high wind which prevented me from going somewhere but saved me gas so it wasn't all bad. Cliff doesn't know what he's talking about, IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  21:53:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
My day has been great mostly because of my Advanced Calc class. First, my professor says, "F inverse is back over to A, and then I can F it again." After a little laughter, he said, "Oh fuck!" And then 5 minutes later he smacked his head on the the hanging TV just above his desk, second time he's done it in 3 classes.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  02:05:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Hey, we had Sun after 30 some straight days of rain. No way was it a bad day.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  03:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

Hope your day hasn't sucked too bad. Cheer up, it only gets better from here on out.

My January 23 was great!

My wife gave birth to our second child, a beautiful boy.

Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  05:56:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I got 20$k in new debt on the 23rd! hooray.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

UncleJ

41 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UncleJ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

My January 23 was great!

Life is good!

Congratulations Starman!

"The Church says the Earth is flat. But I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the Moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." - F. Magellan

"I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!" - H. Simpson
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  17:59:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by R.Wreck

My January 23 was great!

Life is good!

Congrats Starman!

quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf:

I got 20$k in new debt on the 23rd! hooray.[/quote]

And, uh, you too BPS.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  18:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
My January 23 was great!

Life is good!

Congratulations! I'm so sorry his birthday is going to be so depressing every year.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  06:31:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:

My January 23 was great!

Life is good!

Congratulations!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Congratulations starman. The 23rd was also a happy day for me; it was my daughters 13th birthday. Starman, I'm terible with remebering birthdays, but this one is as easy as 123!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:42:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
Oh, I would congratulate you, but I feel that it is primarily tragic that he will have his birthday on the most depressing day of the year...

Congratulations!

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  12:14:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Congrats, Starman! May he live many a happy year! : )

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  13:00:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Dang - I broke my New Year's Resolution on Jan 22 and felt like crap about it the next day. (Although I'm still trying to keep it regardless of messing up.) So I guess his guess was good.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.