Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  16:10:26  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I heard it on the radio, apparently a hunting accident; don't know the details. Anyone else hear anuthing?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  16:12:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Birdshot injury to a 78-year-old quail hunting companion, yesterday, on a ranch near Corpus Crispi [Edit: When I realized my mispelling of "Cristi," I thought, "Hmmm... Corpus!"], Texas. Old guy's now out of the hospital.

Seems they sat on the news overnight. Cheney visited the guy in the hospital. News (CNN) seems to blame the victim, for not announcing his approach to Cheney.

(See, I told you, filthy, you can hit anything with birdshot loads.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2006 18:18:08
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  16:27:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
the guy got hit in the cheek, neck and chest. I wouldn't trust Cheney as far as I could throw him.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  16:40:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
(See, I told you, filthy, you can hit anything with birdshot loads.)
Wuz the durn gun turned the right way....? Yeah, but from my experience with them, if clay pigeons were edible, I'd have only the vaguest idea of what they taste like.

Well, that's not entirely true -- I used to do a little bird hunting, but I rarely shot my limit.

All firearms accidents are caused by stupidity.

Thanks for the update, guys.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/12/2006 16:46:16
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  16:49:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Proper announcement etiquette for approaching an armed Dick Cheney:

[Cough, cough!] "Dick, it is I, Harry Whittington, an old man not much resembling either a quail, a terrorist, or a Democrat! Dick, muzzle down and safe your shotgun, please!"

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2006 16:50:34
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  17:05:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
And we already have a (virtual) comemmorative T-shirt:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5608&whichpage=4

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2006 17:06:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  20:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I got curious about the private associates Dick Cheney might be hanging out with, and incidentally shooting.

The shot man, 78-year-old millionaire attorney Harry Whittington, is an Austin, Texas Republican and multiple political appointee to various commissions:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2004/07/05/daily23.html

And here are poor ol' Birdshot Harry's political contributions:

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?last=Whittington&first=Harry

I'm still gathering more information on this geezer.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2006 20:38:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  20:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Here's one: http://www.bushwatch.com/gravedigger.htm

It looks like in 1999, Whittington was brought in as a cleanup man after George W. Bush, then Texas Governor, got caught in a corruption case involving the firing of a funeral-home industry regulator who'd had the temerity to do her job. The case was known as "Funeralgate" at the time.

The fired woman sued and won, but, apparently as part of the settlement, Bush never admitted wrongdoing. Old Harry Whittington was brought in by Bush to head the Texas funeral agency, and "reluctantly" paid the settlement.

And there's a Wikipedia entry for Harry Whittington:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Whittington

And this entry for Katherine Armstrong, on whose ranch Whittington was shot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Armstrong

We begin to see a web of Texas Republican money and influence.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2006 21:32:04
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  22:31:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Here's a great article about Bush, Whittington, and the Texas Funeralgate scandal. A mass of corruption and cronyism, just like Bush's Presidency:

http://jmhm.livejournal.com/1418607.html

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  23:38:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
"Hunting"? Thats a far stretch.
quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported today that 500 farm-raised pheasants were released yesterday morning at the Rolling Rock Club in Ligonier Township for the benefit of Cheney's 10-person hunting party. The group killed at least 417 of the birds, illustrating the unsporting nature of canned hunts. The party also shot an unknown number of captive mallards in the afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  23:48:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I dunno, Starman. I think the Texas hunt was a sporting sort of event, considering that it turned out to be Republicans shooting their armed peers. I only wish I'd been invited.

And Cheney is supposed to be one of the smart guys in the White House. But I guess it's all relative.

But yes, canned hunts are digusting.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2006 23:49:29
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  00:42:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Proper announcement etiquette for approaching an armed Dick Cheney:
[Cough, cough!] "Dick, it is I, Harry Whittington, an old man not much resembling either a quail, a terrorist, or a Democrat! Dick, muzzle down and safe your shotgun, please!"

Maybe this isn't the folder to mention this but...why let that stop me. LOL.
Seems like this web site has become one sided and not an open minded place to discuss issues. Like the two political partys that now have a reputation of extreme opposites because of certain members, so everyone wants to take sides.
Everyone here wants to make fun of Cheney, why because he's a Republican?
That Republican party, the party that 'freed the slaves', ok they also promoted womens right to vote.....no body is perfect. But the Democrats had William Jennings Bryan which seems to me a bit of an irony considering what many people think of religions here.
Oh well! Maybe someone will understand.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  01:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Snake snapped:
quote:
That Republican party, the party that 'freed the slaves', ok they also promoted womens right to vote.....no body is perfect. But the Democrats had William Jennings Bryan which seems to me a bit of an irony considering what many people think of religions here.
Oh well! Maybe someone will understand.

Yeah, but the Republican Party has put all that embarrassing old stuff like Lincoln, etc., into their ancient history circular file now. Now they are dominated by a slick combination of corporate greed, Neocon ideology, propagandistic lies, doublespeak, contempt for learning and science, and religious fervor. Moderate Republicans have almost no say in their Party at present.

People make fun of Cheney because they hate and fear the bastard. It's better than crying or shrieking. I always hear the Darth Vader theme playing in my mind when I see the SOB. A pratfall like him shooting another Republican provides a bit of needed comic relief. It also gives an opportunity to see what kind of folks he hangs out with: Big surprise, it's not with people like you or me, but with rich Republican donors and cronies.

And if right-wing conservative, anti-science theocrats seem a bit thin among the skeptics here, I think that is kind of self-explanatory.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/13/2006 01:11:18
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  02:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I wonder how they're going to spin this. Indeed, I don't see many ways they can spin it; after all, if I have the story straight, the gun was in Cheney's hands and he took a deliberate shot -- none of this "I didn't know it was loaded" crap. The responsibility is entirely his and at best shows a just short of criminal lack of attention, and at worst, a towering incompetence. He did not have a clean shot at the bird, but took it anyway.

Mr. Whittington reads like small loss, and he might be lucky not to have become that loss. Even a tiny, little 28 gauge loaded with birdshot will make a hell of a hole if it's close enough, and here is the question: If he was far enough away that he got hit by the edge of the pattern, and that seems to have been the case, how could Cheney not have seen him in time to abort the shot? The "came up behind unannounced" explanation seems a little thin. According to the shot pattern, and if I still have the story straight, Whittington would have to have been at least several yards away and clearly visible.

Canned hunts are indeed a piss-poor form of sportsmanship, but we didn't invent them. They came to us from England, and elsewhere, where they have a history going back to the Middle Ages and before. Nobles would go out with the entire, local peasntry acting as beaters. It continues today with organized grouse shoots and other forms of game hoggery.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  02:28:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Filthy, they do seem to keep working away with the spin that the accident was entirely Whittington's fault. What a crock. I agree, it was more likely Cheney's incompetence. Wonder if they were all drinking? I learned much better shooting discipline as a 12-year-old. I've never fired where I could not see everything was clear, simple as that. Fog, dust, darkness, exhaustion, don't know where your dog is, drunkenness; just don't shoot.

I read that the Mongols would send out thousands of beaters on a massive scale, rounding up every four-footed critter within huge areas, then killing everything within the small final circle. And this they did for fun, not primarily for food.

Not sporting, though, such hunting. The proverbial shooting of fish in a barrel. But guys like Cheney seem to delight in having deck stacked in their favor, among people, or among game.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  02:52:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Filthy, they do seem to keep working away with the spin that the accident was entirely Whittington's fault. What a crock. I agree, it was more likely Cheney's incompetence. Wonder if they were all drinking? I learned much better shooting discipline as a 12-year-old. I've never fired where I could not see everything was clear, simple as that. Fog, dust, darkness, exhaustion, don't know where your dog is, drunkenness; just don't shoot.

I read that the Mongols would send out thousands of beaters on a massive scale, rounding up every four-footed critter within huge areas, then killing everything within the small final circle. And this they did for fun, not primarily for food.

Not sporting, though, such hunting. The proverbial shooting of fish in a barrel. But guys like Cheney seem to delight in having deck stacked in their favor, among people, or among game.

Indeed, indeed.....

Here's a little more on it: seems that there is another person involved on the edge of it. It further seems that the incident is being all but ignored by the newspapers.

What a fucked-up parcel of "leaders" we have.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.