Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  16:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Just 6 days ago I came down with the most unbelievable flu ever....So bad It landed me in the hospital to recieve I.V. Fluids....Gastroentiritis the Dr. Said...Sounds like what I tell the clients at the animal hospital about their dog when it has blow out diarrhea and vomiting... It sounded so simple a diagnosis for the terrible pain I was feeling.....I missed plenty of work and forgot what my kids looked like....
yesterday being the fifth day since my symptoms began...I could no longer take the nagging pain of hunger and sore muscles that lay within my stomach...When I cried to Damian ...when will I get better...Soon My love he said with such a worried look on his face..soon..
So last night I lay in bed crying,uncomfortable...and I prayed...Please Lord take this pain from me...Please Spirit... I am suffering...and believe me I was..suffering...
I continued to lay there...praying...and I began to envision the pain being taken from my body and dipersing into the air...into the light....So I took my hands and and in a scooping motion across the afflicted are I began to draw the pain out...or at least at that time envisioned the pain being drawn out...I did this for awhile...and then drifted off to sleep...
In my dreams ...well I can only remmeber one...I was asleep on the bed...envisioning the pain being gone..just as I had done before sleeping...(which leads me to favor more that the two realms had merged...) In the background on the T.V. I heard a man talking and he was talking of the mind can heal the body...
I woke up this A.M. My pain was gone...In one chat a few weeks ago I brought up the word profound...We discussed its meaning and how it..if at all... affects our lives...Some of you said you have never had a profound experience...or felt profound by a deed you have done...Some of you said Nature and Science are what... profound... is to you...
I my self have had many profound experiences while also feeling profound by a deed I have done... helping my clients grieve through the death of their furry liitle friend
Last night I felt I had a most profound experience...i felt it's full effect this A.M ..when my pain was gone...
Profound experiences are important in our lives..I know they are important to me...They make you think...and learn ...and grow....Evolve...
Now whether you call this profound experience...God....Goddess...Lord...Muhammed...Buddha...Zeus...Jesus...Science...Nature....Intelligent Design...That is a whole other discussion....

To all you O&C...This text is definetly not checked for spelling or grammer....Only Content!!!!

Storm

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  16:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
But if you misinterpret your experiences, you "grow" in the wrong direction, which would be a profound mistake.

You were in a hospital on IVs and medication and you soon felt relief. If you don't give the doctors who treated you every ounce of credit for the relief you feel and instead believe that you yourself drew the pain out by performing a "scooping motion across the afflicted area," then you are quite simply insane. If you really believe such nonsense as "the mind can always heal the body" then don't even go to the hospital next time. It would just be a waste of time and money.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  17:16:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
My transporting experience:

The other day, I was feeling a desperate need to get to the grocery store to buy food. I went to the bus stop, waited for the bus, then boarded it, paying my fare. I settled down into a seat, then closed my eyes, bowed my head, and prayed to the Spirit to be transported, all the while making swooping flying motions with one hand. Before I knew it, I was moving, and was soon at my destination! Who needs a bus, aside from it being a good place for transport prayers? Praise the Spirit!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/22/2006 22:15:13
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  18:05:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

My tranporting experience:

The other day, I was feeling a desperate need to get to the grocery store to buy food. I went to the bus stop, waited for the bus, then boarded it, paying my fare. I settled down into a seat, then closed my eyes, bowed my head, and prayed to the Spirit to be tranported, all the while making swooping flying motions with one hand. Before I knew it, I was moving, and was soon at my destination! Who needs a bus, aside from it being a good place for transport prayers? Praise the Spirit!

[laughing too hard]
That made my day. Seriously.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  18:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Oy vey.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  18:48:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I've been in the hospital on IV for a bad case of stomach-flu. I spent three days at home being very sick. The morning of the fourth day I got into the hospital. Sometime in the night between the fifth and the sixth day the fever started to break. I stayed on IV a day longer, then a day for observation. Then a special diet for a week.
So what about it? Of course you got better, most people do after a while of treatment. Nothing special, spiritual, or supernatural about that.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  18:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Now whether you call this profound experience...God....Goddess...Lord...Muhammed...Buddha...Zeus...Jesus...Science...Nature....Intelligent Design...That is a whole other discussion....

Indeed. Do you even realise how much you are offending Muslims by including Muhammed in that list of Divine beings? Watch out, because if you're not careful, some extremist might come along and throw a molotov-coctail at the hospital.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  19:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Now whether you call this profound experience...God....Goddess...Lord...Muhammed...Buddha...Zeus...Jesus...Science...Nature....Intelligent Design...That is a whole other discussion

Why don't you call it what it is: IV fluids, medication, and time. Why would you leap to the most fantastic, unevidenced, improbable explanation when the simple, evident, logical, most probable one is staring right at you?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  19:49:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
What about all the people who have the praying experience but who don't get better? My grandmother got TB when she was in her 20's, and had one lung removed. When she was 80 she told me that she credited God for her recovery and long-life (which incluced bearing and raising 4 kids!). Without missing a beat, I immediately asked her, "But Grandma, what about all the other people with TB who were praying for God to save them, and who died?" All she said back was "I don't know, honey."

People try to use the power of positive thinking and prayer all the time, and there have even been scientific studies of it, but no scientific results. If it worked, we'd know it by now. The most reasonable answer is that you were just lucky, and the corrolation between prayer and recovery-time was coincidence. Given the huge number of people in pain who pray in a manner similar to you, obviously there are going to be many many people who recover right after praying. Doesn't mean the prayer had any effect.

So I guess I'm saying that your "experience" was real, but the meaning behind it was purely subjective.

To assign it any other meaning could be dangerous, as said by Humbert.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/21/2006 19:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  19:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Storm hallucinated:
quote:
Last night I felt I had a most profound experience...i felt it's full effect this A.M ..when my pain was gone...

Get your hospital record and give us a list of the meds they pumped into your IV.

The meds that are used to inhibit nausea definitely have side effects that can include sedation, euphoria, and hallucinations. The meds they give you to control pain.... do I even need to say it? In combination.... yeah, it must have been something supernatural.

If you don't think it was the meds, then the next time you have something like this illness happen to you just stay home and "scoop" it out of yourself.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  23:30:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Many years ago I was in emerg with a sever bladder infection. I was able to reduce the pain signifcantly by visualising a mist moving down my body. I was not given any painkillers. This was nothing supernatural - just a way of tricking my brain into reducing the gain on an input (the pain signal from my bladder) I have never taken any training in meditation, yoga etc and my Chakras remain unattuned.

Also, when I was a kid I used to get regular allergy desinsitization shots. The nurse who gave them suggested drawing a circle on my arm on the morning of the day that I was to get the shot. I would stare at the circled area briefly several times during the day and she would give the injection in the circle. It seemed to make the injection less painful by somehow desinitizong the area. During World War 2 there were several cases of wounded soldiers being given saline injections when the morphine ran out. These placebos worked almost as well as the real thing. This mind body stuff seems to work when it comes to pain, but I don't see anything miraculous about it.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  00:20:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Many years ago I was in emerg with a sever bladder infection. I was able to reduce the pain signifcantly by visualising a mist moving down my body. I was not given any painkillers. This was nothing supernatural - just a way of tricking my brain into reducing the gain on an input (the pain signal from my bladder) I have never taken any training in meditation, yoga etc and my Chakras remain unattuned.

Pain can be ignored or blocked out. Especially acute pain.

How much you can block depends on the person and their relative level of training.

Edit to add a disclaimer: Never do this, ever. It is stupid.
There is a game (a seriously foolish game) that I once excelled in, it is a competition between two people to determine who has the most pain tolerance.

Materials:

Two fresh $100 bills.

Two lit cigarettes.

You each take the $100 bill on your left hand and wrap it tightly around the right wrist of your opponent, grasping their wrist from the palm-side to hold the bill firmly in place.

In your right hand is a lit cigarette.

You move your 4 hands close next to one another and position them so that your right hand can place the cherry of the cigarette onto the bill being held to your opponents right wrist. The bill will not burn if held properly against your flesh, but you will start to cook.

A third party, when you are both ready, calls "go". The first person to pull away loses their $100.

During my time in the military I probably won close to $1k with this retarded game.

Warning: Never do this (ever) unless you and your oponent are stone sober (even then, still don't do it). If you are really drunk you can tune the pain out even more than you can normally. This could result in more than the typical 2nd degree burns you can already get if you are hardcore enough.

Edit: This one you can do, no permanent damage will be done to your body.

Or, for less damaging pain competition:

Take a pen and place it in your right hand, holding it lightly only with your thumb and first two fingers. Your opponent does the same. Hold the pen so it is horizontal and point your finger/thumb tips at your opponent, thumb fingernail facing the ground.

Take the first finger (or thumb) of your left hand and also point it at your opponent, fingernail facing up.

Slide your left finger between your opponent's thumb and pen. Make sure your fingernail is in contact with the pen, and your fingertip in contact with your opponent's thumb.

Both of you squeeze the pen onto your opponent's fingernail as hard as you can.

The first to flinch loses.

This one hurts, imo, worse than the burning game.

Try it on yourself to see just how much pain it can cause. Squeeze gently to start out with.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 02/22/2006 00:23:33
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Man halfmooner you need to put a snarf warning on that post, my keyboard has milk on it now.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:11:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
I can believe the "scooping" and visualization helped - after all, there are many interactions between mind and body - but agree that rest, IVs, and medications probably turned the corner.

A couple of months ago, I had landed badly after a jump and my back and one knee were really hurtin' - the knee was swollen, and the interaction between knee and back made it hard just to go through the motion of sitting down. After a couple of days hoping it would go away, I had the dr. check my knee, which wasn't really damaged, even though I had felt a crunch at the time. "Take 2 Advil, 4 times a day," I was told. I did, and a couple of pills and hours later I was dramatically better - it's amazing how good you feel when you go from feeling really crappy to just feeling a little sore. I was able to do my FD standby that night and had no problems with the heavy gear and lifting heavy stuff.

The point is not to endorse a particular brand of painkiller, but to echo some others here in that proper treatment can often (not always) make for a rapid recovery, and you can feel like a new person when this happens. A few hundred years ago, it would have seemed like a miracle cure; but now, even though I happen to be Christian I can confidently ascribe it to analgesics, anti-inflammatories, and the psychological "rebound" effect.

In any case, Storm, glad you're feeling better!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  14:59:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I love the bus story too.

BTW, "flu" is a respiratory infection. You describe an intestinal infection. Noro virus isn't usually that long or painful. That leaves e-coli 0H 157, salmonella, and shigella as the most likely choices of culprits. Since the e-coli causes invasive disease and bloody diarrhea I doubt that one. Salmonella and shigella are very common. 6-7 days of symptoms including cramping and then waking up feeling much better sounds like a typical course of disease. Sorry to be critical but I see no mystery here. I am glad you are well.

I'd be looking at your source of contamination rather than focusing on your mental experience. You got infected somewhere and it could happen to your child if you don't figure out the source and eliminate it.

Typical offenders, raw chicken contaminating a food prep surface or your hands and then getting into your mouth, salad bars, someone else's contaminated food prep surfaces who shared food with you.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/22/2006 15:00:17
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  15:10:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
I'd be looking at your source of contamination rather than focusing on your mental experience. You got infected somewhere and it could happen to your child if you don't figure out the source and eliminate it.
Well, if Storm experienced a supernatural healing perhaps she should also be looking for supernatural causes. I suggest checking for things like animal sacrifices on her property or lidless eyes painted over her doors or windows...stuff like that. Storm, can you think of any reasons why someone would want to hex you?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/22/2006 15:10:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.