Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  08:26:05  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I will be visiting Washington, D.C., either on the weekend of May 5, or in early June, depending on my work. If there is anybody in the area, let me know and we should have coffee / lunch / dinner / couple drinks together, eh?

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  20:33:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Where in DC will you be?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  20:51:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
Where in DC will you be?
I'll probably be staying in Crystal City. Haven't made the reservations yet, though.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  21:27:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Oh, well, that's not really in DC. It's on the other side of the Potomac, fercryinoutloud.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  21:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, May 5 is only a few weeks away. There are some good places in Crystal City to get a drink and a meal and sit around chatting for a while. Well, there were, as I must admit the last time I did so was about 17 years ago. But I can't imagine things have changed for the worse, there.

Anyway, we do have some "locals" aside from myself who'd probably be interested in a small get-together. The sooner we nail things down, the better. Everyone, can we at least get a show of hands on who would be tentatively willing to show up somewhere around DC sometime close to when Boron is going to be here?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  10:20:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
If it's after May 15th, I would be able to go.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  13:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
If it's after May 15th, I would be able to go.
Well that's ok, then, since there is a good chance I cannot make it out there in a few weeks. I'll most likely have to wait until early June (around the 7th and 8th).
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  19:47:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, Boron gave us definite dates in last night's chat: June 7th-10th (IIRC). The 10th is a Saturday, so I was kinda hoping we could find some skeptically oriented thing to do in DC for some hours that day - sort of like an East-coast version of "The Skeptic Friend's visit to the ICR" - but I'm coming up short on ideas which would be both interesting and not swamped with tourists on non-skeptical visits. I'm sure there are such attractions outside the city, but that would likely involve transportation other than Metro.

Of course, just taking up a table or two at a DC restaurant and chatting in person for a while would suit me just fine, but I'm not sure how much of a draw that would be to other out-of-state SFN members.

At any rate, we've got six weeks or so. Let's hear some more chatter on this, please.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  21:51:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I don't have any ideas yet, but I marked it on my calendar and I'm 90% sure I can go.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  22:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I should be able to make it.

As far as activities go, how about a tour of the Spy museum? Or the Natural History Museum? (I'm sick of the Aerospace museum). Or are those endeavors not "skeptical" enough? Maybe we can find a Church of Scientology and all go in and get E-readings?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/27/2006 22:30:52
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  07:44:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I've been to the Church of Scientology in DC. I think it's only entertaining when it's almost closing time and you're really drunk, 'cause they don't have enough time to do things right, and the whole scheme just sorta falls apart.

What I was hoping for was for us to be able to go examine some piece of woo-woo as a group, but that seems unlikely to happen (I think DC real estate is probably too expensive for people to set up woo-woo sorts of museums), in which case the Natural History Museum would get my vote. I haven't been since I was a kid.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  08:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
Put me down, lightly in pencil, as a highly indefinite maybe-to-unlikely (I may have to repair my time machine and join you from 2008 or so). The Spy Museum would be cool; I haven't been there. Or maybe the Newseum. Hmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:56:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Some notes:

International Spy Museum: $15 a person, "tickets are selling quickly for weekends..."

The Newseum: won't be re-opening until 2007.

American Museum of Natural History: $14 a person. Several exhibit halls closed, but Darwin has been extended through August (including live Galapagos tortoises).

National Museum of American History: Free, has some interesting-looking exhibits and will be closing this-coming Fall for a couple years. The famous pendulum was removed in 1998, and won't ever come back.

[Edited to add to and fix the last entry, above]

[Edited again 'cause I just figured out that the American Natural History Museum is in New York, the DC version is below (what a knucklehead I am)]

National Museum of Natural History: Free.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  22:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
More:

National Aquarium: $5 per person, self-guided tours last only an hour.

US National Arboretum: Free, lots of space to wander, but involving both subway and bus to get there.

National Geographic Society Explorers Hall: Free, but it looks like the only exhibition they'll have on June 10th is for the recent "Book of Judas."

Science Museum of the National Academy of Sciences: $5 per person, advanced ticketing probably a good idea. Seems like there are only three exhibits, no events scheduled for June 10th.

I'm just tossing out ideas here (both good and bad).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  18:42:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I would personally be more interested in something dealing with pseudoscience, for example going to a New Age shop or a similar place. However, anything is fine with me.

I could also drive my car down from New Jersey if we will be in need of transportation instead of taking the train. But I would only like to do that if we need to, I hear (from other threads...) that the parking in DC is quite poor.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  19:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

...for example going to a New Age shop or a similar place.
From what I remember of DC, there just aren't that many Newage shops, and those that were there were tiny.
quote:
I could also drive my car down from New Jersey if we will be in need of transportation instead of taking the train.
I don't think there will be a need, unless we decide to go into VA or MD.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.