Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  05:28:02  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wish i'd been there to see it 'cause Bush was not happy.
quote:
Colbert Lampoons Bush at White House Correspondents Dinner-- President Does Not Seem Amused

By E&P Staff

Published: April 29, 2006 11:40 PM ET

WASHINGTON A blistering comedy “tribute” to President Bush by Comedy Central's faux talk show host Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondent Dinner Saturday night left George and Laura Bush unsmiling at its close.

Earlier, the president had delivered his talk to the 2700 attendees, including many celebrities and top officials, with the help of a Bush impersonator.

Colbert, who spoke in the guise of his talk show character, who ostensibly supports the president strongly, urged the Bush to ignore his low approval ratings, saying they were based on reality, “and reality has a well-known liberal bias.”

He attacked those in the press who claim that the shake-up at the White House was merely re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. “This administration is soaring, not sinking,” he said. “They are re-arranging the deck chairs--on the Hindenburg.”

"Arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg" -- hehehe -- good one!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  06:54:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Saw some clips on CNN - wish I could see all of Colbert's remarks. What I saw was quite amusing!

The impersonator was funny too - "Where is the Great White Hunter?"

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  14:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I so hope they play it on CSPAN. Sometimes they have those press events. It must have been great!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  15:42:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Shoot - filthy, you beat me to posting this by about an hour. But I technically posted something a little different - the actual video of Colbert's talk. It's posted under "Media" as "Colbert Roasts Bush Video".

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  19:14:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I so hope they play it on CSPAN. Sometimes they have those press events. It must have been great!

I saw the whole thing on CSPAN. So, if they repeat these sort of things, you should get a chance.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  22:31:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Found it on the web.

Parts one two and three

The whole room was aghast over the Iraq government joke. It was great. I didn't see a lot of shots of an annoyed Bush. Too bad.

Looks like Marf posted the same in the media forum.

Now I see Marf's post here and I missed that earlier. I have to stop and read threads better I guess. And Kil didn't notice either guessing from his post.

We need a "do'h" smilie.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/30/2006 23:42:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  03:13:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Found it on the web.

Parts one two and three

The whole room was aghast over the Iraq government joke. It was great. I didn't see a lot of shots of an annoyed Bush. Too bad.

Looks like Marf posted the same in the media forum.

Now I see Marf's post here and I missed that earlier. I have to stop and read threads better I guess. And Kil didn't notice either guessing from his post.

We need a "do'h" smilie.
I thought we had one:

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  05:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
After I stopped laughing I realized that none of it was funny. It's all too true.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  14:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I thought we had one:

double do'h.

Actually, I didn't know how to get it into the post as opposed to before the post title.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I thought we had one:

double do'h.

Actually, I didn't know how to get it into the post as opposed to before the post title.

All tricks are good, except the bad ones...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  11:59:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
So Tucker Carlson claims he was there and Cobert bombed. Maybe, but I heard some laughter on the clip. Either way, Cobert may have played to a shocked crowd who didn't laugh but he sure did a good job not letting that disrupt his performance and now to the wider audience of the rest of the country, he's gotten overnight fame. I love it.

Kind of says something about the WA Press Corp and the way Bush has stacked the deck doesn't it?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  12:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
He bombed only if you're sucking at Bush's teat....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 05/02/2006 12:45:10
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  12:19:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
The room fell silent when he suggested that they go home and write their fiction.

I wonder what they thought he would say. Was this material that much different than what he says on his show?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 05/02/2006 12:20:59
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  17:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Anyone notice how this story is gathering speed? Do a search for Colbert on Google and click the "News" tab and check out what people are saying about it and how the media establishment is being bashed for its failure to report this story.

I found this quote to be interesting:
quote:
This may be the first time that a story has been so notably ignored by the media and so vigorously discussed on the internet. Perhaps a sign of the growing power of internet media – the Stephen Colbert story grows by the day. Maybe sometime this week, the rest of the media will pick up the story of their own omission.

Am I alone in thinking that Stephen was saying to the media: I'm doing this because you guys don't?

The video is all over the web now. Find it and check it out. It's hilarious and needs to be heard. I saw one site proclaim Colbert as a folk hero. I think it's great that the speech is getting the attention it is. Tell your friends and have them tell their friends. Make this the story that never dies!

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  17:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

Find it and check it out.
"Find it," he says, blissfully unaware of "Colbert Roasts Bush video" right on his own website.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  02:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Media ignores story for a day but now they can't avoid it. Everyone else is elated with the skit. I love it. The mainstream news media is so out of touch.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.