Nigerian 419 Scam e-mails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  10:39:25  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
It has been brought to our attention that a spate of e-mails have been sent out using the send this user e-mail link in member profiles has been abused by certian Nigerian 419 Scam operators. We are currently trying to ban all of these new users and take steps to address the underlying deficiencies.

Yes, I have recieved one such e-mail. I think this clown used the member list as it is sorted by most posts to start his spate of e-mails. His first account "goodone" has been banned. His second account "aidontrust" is in the process of being banned.

I have personally forwarded the e-mail to 419.fcd@usss.treas.gov which is an e-mail address the US Secret Service uses for collecting reports of this type. As we work though this and ban the offending users, we apologize for the e-mails. If you have recieved a 419 scam e-mail which is not one of the two user names listed here, please copy the e-mail into the Report Problems folder so that we can take the appropriate action with them.

In the 5+ years as a member here, I cannot recall any similar event occurring.

Thank you for your understanding during this issue and again, we apologize for the e-mails. We are working to find the best solution to this problem.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  12:05:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
I can not imagine a worse pond for these clowns to fish in.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Aerik

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  13:00:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Aerik's Homepage Send Aerik a Private Message
I received one from aidontrust. Before even coming to skepticfriends.org to see if somebody had made a post about it, I sent an email to the "contact us" link, mailto:david_gluck@skepticfriends.org, and with the help of wikipedia as to who to contact about these things, sent it to the USSS as well as the FTC.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  13:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Shit!! I didn't get one! Cowardly bastards!

Maybe tomorrow...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  17:35:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

I can not imagine a worse pond for these clowns to fish in.

Yeah, go figure. I got one... LOL

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  18:40:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Maybe tomorrow...

If you'd like, I'll send you the one about the athiest professor.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  01:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:

Maybe tomorrow...

I know how you feel about being left out. I feel the same way about not having been abducted by aliens.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  04:38:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

quote:

Maybe tomorrow...

I know how you feel about being left out. I feel the same way about not having been abducted by aliens.

You just don't dream intensely enough. I would suggest sleep aids like alien cardboard cutouts and a light on a timer.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  12:09:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I don't know... Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I can basically pick my own percentage of the money moved. If I can get about a million dollar, I can live off the interests alone for the rest of my life...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  13:10:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I got one:

quote:
Sent From Skeptic Friends Network by musa555

musa555
<musa_k401@yahoo.fr> to me
More options 2:43 am (10 hours ago)
Hello HalfMooner

You received the following message from: musa555 (musa_k401@yahoo.fr)

At: http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/

Avenue 5 Lot 172 Cocody
Quarters Abidjan Cote d' Ivoire
Wes Africa.
Email: musa_k401@yahoo.fr

Dear One,

My warmest greeting to you in the name of the Lord.

I am Musa Mohammed and I inherited this sum from my late father who died in recent crisis in Cote d'Ivoire. I wish to request for your assistance in investing this sum in lucrative venture or manufacturing and real estate management in your country. I have Eight million, five hundred thousand United State Dollars. USD($8,500,000) to invest and I will require your assistance in receiving the fund in your account. I will be glad to give you some reasonable percent from the total sum for your assistance.

Before the death of my father on September 14/9/2005, he gave me all the necessary legal documentation concerning the deposit of the fund in the bank, I am 22 years old and a university undergraduate and really don't know what to do. Now I want an account overseas where I can transfer this funds and after the transaction I will come and reside permanently in your country till such a time that it will be convinient for me to return back home if I so desire. This is because I have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant political crisis here in Ivory coast. The death of my father actually brought sorrow to my life. I also want to invest the fund under your care because I am ignorant of business world.

I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance in this regards. Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded. Now permit me to ask these few questions:
1. Can you honestly help me from your heart?
2. Can I completely trust you?
3. What percentage of the total amount in question will be good for you after the money is in your account?

Please, consider this and get back to me as soon as possible. Immedaitely I confirm your willingness, I will send to you my picture and also give you more details about myself and the bank where my late father deposited the fund, so that you can reach the bank and confirm the existence of the fund as well, because seeing is believing. Please always reply me through this my private email: musa_k401@yahoo.fr for security reason.
Awaiting your immediate response and may God bless you.

Best Regards
Musa Mohammed

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  13:46:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
That's the one I got today, HalfMooner. It wasn't sent to my personal email, just as a private message here at SFN.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  14:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Damn. And I thought I was getting a special, one time offer. Now I know I'll be sharing my profit with all of you guys.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  16:25:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
That's the one I got today, HalfMooner. It wasn't sent to my personal email, just as a private message here at SFN.
This one came to my my main Internet email account, sent via SFN. I got no local private message within the site.

I really want to help this unfortunate Ivory Coast guy, you know?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  00:17:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Damn. And I thought I was getting a special, one time offer. Now I know I'll be sharing my profit with all of you guys.

Just give me all your banking information so that I can share the profits with you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.