Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  05:59:23  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
This story is from the Houston chronical and is scary. A judge ruled that a convicted child molester should not serve jail time because he may get hurt in jail.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/3893146.html

quote:
the judge told Thompson. "I truly hope that my bet on you being OK out in society is not misplaced."
He is betting on the safety of small children. This judge should lose hs job.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  06:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

This story is from the Houston chronical and is scary. A judge ruled that a convicted child molester should not serve jail time because he may get hurt in jail.

quote:
the judge told Thompson. "I truly hope that my bet on you being OK out in society is not misplaced."

Perhaps she recognizes a kindred spirit...

Ok, that's a bit much, but I agree. This one should find another line of work; one where she can't put children at risk.

There's another way of looking at it, though. If the pervert is merely on probation, he is out there where someone can really hurt him.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  06:43:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:

Perhaps she recognizes a kindred spirit...

Ok, that's a bit much, but I agree. This one should find another line of work; one where she can't put children at risk.

There's another way of looking at it, though. If the pervert is merely on probation, he is out there where someone can really hurt him.

Or she is counting on the outrage to end in a rifle crack and a lone figure crumpled on the ground.

The judge is begging for street justice. Something that is downright dangerous to do. She needs to be removed.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  07:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
That's one of those stories where we have no idea what all the facts are. The story says he's not "a hunter."

The fact that he's small may be irrelevant. Just something she threw in to throw some fear into him. Give him probation and scare him a little.

Just an article to play with your emotions and add little else to your lives.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  07:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
The fact that governments allow the people they send to their prisons to be abused and hurt by other inmates is pretty horrible.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  08:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
They not only allow it, at times they encourage it, and the public loves it and jokes about rape and such things that happens. '

Prison does little more than provide a place to lock up the mostly black and latino poor.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  09:25:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
As I read it, the article seems to say that he would only serve 10 months if he were sent to prison:

"He faces 30 days of jail each year of his probation unless he follows its conditions closely."

If this is true, then 10 years of probation might be a lot better for the community than 10 months of jail followed by no supervision whatsoever.

None of the stories mention what exactly he did.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  09:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356

As I read it, the article seems to say that he would only serve 10 months if he were sent to prison:

"He faces 30 days of jail each year of his probation unless he follows its conditions closely."

If this is true, then 10 years of probation might be a lot better for the community than 10 months of jail followed by no supervision whatsoever.

None of the stories mention what exactly he did.

Evidently, it was sexual contact with the 12 year old daughter of his fiancee.

Not to worry, this guy ain't going nowhere except the Graybar.
quote:
U.S. prosecutors to appeal probation granted to short man convicted of child sex abuse

LINCOLN, Nebraska -- This state's attorney general says he will appeal a judge's decision to put a convicted child molester on probation rather than send him to prison because his short stature would make him a target for other inmates.

"This sentence is far too lenient," Attorney General Jon Bruning said Thursday. "Anyone who sexually assaults a child deserves to live their life behind bars for awhile."

Bruning said Thursday that his office will file the appeal within the next two weeks.

The 5-foot, 1-inch (1.55 meters) tall Richard W. Thompson was sentenced on Tuesday to 10 years probation on two felony sexual assault charges for sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl, the daughter of his fiancee.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  10:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
"This sentence is far too lenient," Attorney General Jon Bruning said Thursday. "Anyone who sexually assaults a child deserves to live their life behind bars for awhile."

What does that mean? Who cares what he deserves? What's best for society?

"He would probably end up being somebody's woman," said Joe Mangano of New York City, secretary of the National Organization of Short Statured Adults. "Then again, after what he did some people might think he would deserve that sort of a fate."

Is it okay that someone taller would be "somebody's woman?" Again, what he deserves is beside the point. This is what angry people want. What is best for society?

"I'm concerned about the message this sends to victims and perpetrators," said Marla Sohl, with the Nebraska Domestic Violence Sexual Assault Coalition in Lincoln on Thursday.

The message being that we'd rather spend a lot of money sending someone to prison than to keep a close eye on him without spending that kind of money and without maybe teaching him to be more violent?

Why aren't we spending money on trying to figure out how to fix these guys? Because we'd rather spend money doing things people "deserve." "Saddam deserves" to have a few hundred thousand of his people murdered and maimed so we spend the money on that rather than on doing something useful.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 05/26/2006 11:11:48
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  10:58:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
So, I guess size does matter.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  11:27:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Pedophiles are infamous for their high recidivism rate. I'd guess Judge Kristine Cecava has likely bet on the wrong horse. And, as Robb stated, she's gambling using other people's children for currency.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  11:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
More to the point, our entire penal system needs an overhaul. It makes no sense to me that the US has the highest incarcerated percentage of it's population in the world, yet most of the prisoners are in for non-violent, drug offenses. Those that aren't big-name, radio personalities, anyway. That is what would be best for society; a more reasonable and efficent penal system. But it's not likely to happen as there is too much private money concerned with it.

On a more encouraging note, Ken Lay seems to be, maybe, headed to, probably, if he isn't pardoned or acquitted on appeal, Club Fed. Club Fed, for any who do not know, is a rest home for those miscreants who have contacts and don't want to mingle with the hoi polloi.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  12:03:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
On a more encouraging note, Ken Lay seems to be, maybe, headed to, probably, if he isn't pardoned or acquitted on appeal, Club Fed. Club Fed, for any who do not know, is a rest home for those miscreants who have contacts and don't want to mingle with the hoi polloi.

I thought that if the sentence was over 10 years then they are not eligible for minimum security...?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  13:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

I thought that if the sentence was over 10 years then they are not eligible for minimum security...?

Truth to tell, I don't know. But I'll bet he doesn't end up in Marion, regardless. More likely, he'd become ny neighbor in Butner, NC. We had Jim Baker for a while.

If he goes at all.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  13:18:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

More to the point, our entire penal system needs an overhaul. It makes no sense to me that the US has the highest incarcerated percentage of it's population in the world, yet most of the prisoners are in for non-violent, drug offenses. Those that aren't big-name, radio personalities, anyway.

The figure I heard over the weekend (Chris Parenti) was that the U.S. had four percent of the world's population and 25% of its prisoners.

All this reminds me of a good article at http://www.november.org/stayinfo/breaking2/ZNetWise.html

quote:
Researchers have found that incarceration of youthful offenders -- a staple of the get-tough crowd that prefers prosecuting young criminals as adults -- tends to delay the onset of delinquency cessation, and thereby increase the risk of future offending by these juveniles upon release (Blumstein, Cohen and Golub, 1989; also Glassner, 1999: 74)

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  15:31:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Rant on......

Best for society:
1) Take the evil bastards and shot them, or shove them on a penal colonies.
2) This will free up some room for the violent folks / menaces to society (1 DUI OK.. learn your lesson move on. 2 DUI's, we are not letting you run around in sciety until you get your act together.) to get a clue before relapsing and being sent to a penal colony.
3) Bring back indentured servitude for the non-violent folks. Martha Stewart's penalty 6 months to a year serving meals on wheels, or keeping house in a homeless shelter.
4) Molesters: Permanent incarceration in some of the prisons we clear out from shipping evil people out, and releasing non-violent offenders.
5) Rehab of the penal code to make it understandable by the people it is for, and for the people who write it.

Rant off.....

Joe

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.