Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  04:17:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Much as I oppose the Iraq war in general, this in particular couldn't have finally happened to a nicer guy:

Al-Zarqawi is seen in an image
from a video aired in April by
the Al-Jazeera network.

Iraqi soldiers dance with a woman
Thursday in Baghdad after hearing
that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is dead.

quote:
Airstrike kills terror leader al-Zarqawi in Iraq
U.S. hails attack on 'godfather of sectarian killing'

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the most wanted man in Iraq, was killed in a coalition airstrike near Baquba, jubilant U.S. and Iraqi authorities announced Thursday.

The 3-year-old insurgency has "lost its leader," Gen. George Casey, the U.S. military commander in Iraq, told reporters.

Details are still emerging of the operation against the self-proclaimed leader of al Qaeda in Iraq who pledged allegiance to Osama bin Laden. (Watch how al-Zarqawi's body was identified -- 2:28)

Al-Zarqawi, who had a $25 million bounty on his head, led foreign and Iraqi fighters in a series of dramatic and high-profile attacks against U.S. and Western targets and he was seen as leader of one of the factions in Iraq that fomented sectarian strife between the Sunni and Shiite communities.

His killing is a major coup for the embattled coalition forces.

"Today is a good day," U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad told a news conference soon after cheers and applause broke out when Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced: "Zarqawi has been killed."

Khalilzad called al-Zarqawi "the godfather of sectarian killing and terror in Iraq" -- and said the death "marks a great success for Iraq and the global war on terror."

"His organization has been responsible for the deaths of thousands of civilians in Iraq and abroad."

The 39-year-old Jordanian-born al-Zarqawi was accused of terrorist links before the Iraq war and soon led the insurgency after the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime. . . .

Multiple attempts have been made to capture or kill him and he was held briefly by Iraqi security forces in 2004 but was released because no one knew who he was.

In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair called al-Zarqawi's death "a very important moment in Iraq. A blow for al Qaeda in Iraq is a blow for al Qaeda everywhere."

Insider tips

Casey said al-Zarqawi and a key lieutenant, spiritual adviser Sheik Abd-Al-Rahman, were at an isolated safe house outside Baquba at 6:15 p.m. (10:15 a.m. ET) on Wednesday.

"Tips and intelligence from Iraqi senior leaders from his network led forces to al-Zarqawi and some of his associates who were conducting a meeting approximately eight kilometers north of Baquba when the airstrike was launched," he said.

Baquba is a volatile area northeast of Baghdad in Diyala province, a mixed Shiite-Sunni jurisdiction. There have been many roadside bombings and shootings throughout the province and within the week, severed heads were found in fruit boxes there.

"Iraqi police were first on the scene after the air strike, and elements of Multi-National Division North, arrived shortly thereafter," Casey said. "We have been able to identify al-Zarqawi by fingerprint verification, facial recognition and known scars."

In addition to Zarqawi and the spiritual adviser, seven others died in the attack.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/08/2006 04:27:25

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  05:40:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Good riddance.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  05:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Good riddance.
Yep, though in his case a life sentence in a pig pen would have been more suitable.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  05:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Good riddance.
Yep, though in his case a life sentence in a pig pen would have been more suitable.

I agree completely, but the likelihood of that happening was slim and none.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  06:07:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I ain't quite buyin' this yet. How many times have we killed him so far? Five? Six? I've lost track....

I hope it's true, but I want to see some conformation beyond media blather.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  06:25:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Bush's claim that this is "justice" is the antithesis of the ideals of the U.S.A.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  06:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
If it weren't for Bush, al-Zarqawi wouldn't have become such a super-star in the first place.

As to the impact of this, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to put explosives in a car and drive to a crowded market. I see little change happening until we pull our occupation force out.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  07:16:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think they indeed did get him. The military says they've already verified it's al-Zarqawi via fingerprints, known scars, and features, and that DNA tests will be done as well. Plus, the image below sure looks like him to me:

The U.S. military showed this picture
of al-Zarqawi after he was killed.

Yes, both the the Dummy and the Rummy will shamelessly exploit this for a more than it's worth. But this guy was a fundie terrorist monster, so his death in itself is fine by me. To quote Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing."

What's not a good thing is the war in general as it's been, and is being, waged in Iraq.

Historically, I think that the sectarian violence will be considered the worst part of the mess over there. The American military death rate has actually declined significantly in recent months, as the fanatical religious factions go for the "softer" targets of their civilian compatriots. The death rate for Iraqis has absolutely gone ballistic, as the sectarian civil war grows.

I cannot think of another instance in history where a conquering army's presence has created a power vacuum. Even if the war had been justifiable, the incompetence of its execution by Rumsfeld would go down in the annals of deadly, criminally-mismanaged, ideologically-driven boneheadedness.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/08/2006 08:13:47
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  08:41:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Listening to NPR this morning, interviewing many experts including our ambassador to Iraq, I conclude that this is more of a political victory and will not really do much to stem the insurgency or sectarian violence. Indeed, just this morning there has already been two bombings in Baghdad…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  09:49:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Kil is correct. Whether they got him or not, it changes nothing except perhaps Shithead's poll numbers. And that in itself arouses suspicion, as he and Rove has a history of inventing convenient "news."

I await the DNA reports from sources more reliable than Fox, et al.

I wonder; will he cram a couple of kumquats into his jock strap and tell us that some mission or other has been accomplished?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  12:11:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Listening to NPR this morning, interviewing many experts including our ambassador to Iraq, I conclude that this is more of a political victory and will not really do much to stem the insurgency or sectarian violence. Indeed, just this morning there has already been two bombings in Baghdad…

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Kil is correct. Whether they got him or not, it changes nothing except perhaps Shithead's poll numbers. And that in itself arouses suspicion, as he and Rove has a history of inventing convenient "news."

I await the DNA reports from sources more reliable than Fox, et al.

I wonder; will he cram a couple of kumquats into his jock strap and tell us that some mission or other has been accomplished?

Well, the world in general is convinced that al-Zaqarwi is dead, including an al-Qaeda Web site that says his martyrdom is "an honor." (I wish all such jihadi terrorists would receive the same honors!) I won't further address whether he's dead.

The big question is, does his death make a difference in Iraq or the global war on terror? I don't know the answer to that one, except to say that I can't see any realistic way that his death could help al-Qaeda in or beyond Iraq.

The most recent bombings that people are referring to as examples of futility are clearly irrelevant one way or the other in answering this question -- they were no doubt planned and organized and "in the pipeline" well before al-Zaqarwi was killed.

Whether al-Zaqarwi's death affects the insurgency in Iraq will probably be known pretty soon, by watching what happens in the immediate future in the al-Qaeda dominated town of Baquba, and by watching to see if there is a marked reduction in suicide bombings specifically. If the foreign-fighter resistance folds there (and it should happen quickly, if it is going to be triggered by al-Zaqarwi's death), that will be the clearest sign of a turning point, at least for al-Qaeda in Iraq. If no such defeat or collapse of al-Qaeda happens in Baquba within days or a few weeks at most, it should be clear that there has been no such breakthrough. Suicide bombings in Iraq have mainly been carried out by al-Qaeda's foreign nationals. (The pro-Saddam Ba'ath Party loyalists and the Shi'ia militias generally use other methods, such as roadside bombs and death squads.)

So for evidence of al-Qaeda's survival or destruction in Iraq, watch Baquba, and suicide bombings, for a sign. No fairly swift change in Baquba, or an unchanged rate of suicide bombings, would be signs that al-Qaeda in Iraq has survived al-Zaqarwi's death.

Of course, even if the al-Qaeda network were essentially "rolled up" in Iraq, one of the projects that al-Zaqawri had worked so hard to provoke -- the now-endemic civil war between the Sunni, the Shi'ia, and the Kurds -- may continue and grow on its own momentum.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  14:58:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, I'm finally pretty much convinced; he's cold meat. One more murderous, religious lunatic gone to his reward. One wishes that there really was a Hell....

The problem in Iraq, I think, is the ancient, religious rivalries that likely began in the days of Mohammed. In the long run, they make al-Qaeda irrelevant. And they all want power, especially in a country with the potential for wealth that Iraq has. This war, if such it can be called, is not the 'war on terror,' and it has a looong way to go.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  18:01:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I think they indeed did get him. The military says they've already verified it's al-Zarqawi via fingerprints, known scars, and features, and that DNA tests will be done as well. Plus, the image below sure looks like him to me:

The U.S. military showed this picture
of al-Zarqawi after he was killed.

Yes, both the the Dummy and the Rummy will shamelessly exploit this for a more than it's worth. But this guy was a fundie terrorist monster, so his death in itself is fine by me. To quote Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing."

What's not a good thing is the war in general as it's been, and is being, waged in Iraq.

Historically, I think that the sectarian violence will be considered the worst part of the mess over there. The American military death rate has actually declined significantly in recent months, as the fanatical religious factions go for the "softer" targets of their civilian compatriots. The death rate for Iraqis has absolutely gone ballistic, as the sectarian civil war grows.

I cannot think of another instance in history where a conquering army's presence has created a power vacuum. Even if the war had been justifiable, the incompetence of its execution by Rumsfeld would go down in the annals of deadly, criminally-mismanaged, ideologically-driven boneheadedness.

They put a picture fo a dead guy's face in a fucking gilded frame!?!

Is that common practice?

And how did he still look like that after being the target of two big fucking bombs?

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy_Bear

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  18:50:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Grumpy_Bear a Private Message
They must have air-brushed out the really bad wounds... fun with Photoshop meets al-Qaeda (hahaha).

By the way, I'm new. Hi there.

"A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals..." -MIB
Edited by - Grumpy_Bear on 06/08/2006 18:51:13
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  20:12:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
Hi, Grumpy Bear!

I heard on NPR that Zarqawi's spiritual advisor was in the safe house with him. (Guess it wasn't so safe when a pair of Mk. 82s with precision guidance kits came a-knockin'.)

I hope for Mr. Zarqawi's sake that his spiritual advisor gives him better advice in Hell than he gave him in this life.

Anyway, cross your fingers that the extermination of this instigator, who explicitly urged Iraqis to kill other Iraqis, who made women and children the targets of his attacks as much as or more than American troops (remember the Jordanian wedding party?), will help break down the so-called insurgency.

I also believe the Iraqi gov't finally filled in some key posts, including a Sunni as defense minister, which should help broaden its appeal among the population at large. Two good pieces of news in one day. No "mission accomplished" BS, but good news nonetheless.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  20:17:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
And how did he still look like that after being the target of two big fucking bombs?

Maybe his head is all that's left?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.