Amazing Bird Calls
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  15:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Thanks to Astronomer Philip Plait of the Bad Astronomy Blog for pointing out this amazing Quicktime video:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/46386/

(Stay to the end of the video for more sounds than you'd expect.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  16:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I read a story a few years back about a "dude ranch" down in Texas at which the local mockingbirds would occassionally spook the horses by making calls that sounded like rattlesnakes, and occassionally spook the tourists by making calls that sounded like the old standard cell-phone ring tones.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  17:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
That was just fantastic. Thanks for the head's up.
David Attenbrough -- what a contribution he's made to bring this incredible world to the masses.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  17:11:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Thanks for the link.

I can only begin to imagine how much fun it would be to own a bird like that.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  17:12:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Wonderful, wonderful. The Lyrebird, and David Attenborough, rule!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/11/2006 17:14:11
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  17:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I read a story a few years back about a "dude ranch" down in Texas at which the local mockingbirds would occassionally spook the horses by making calls that sounded like rattlesnakes, and occassionally spook the tourists by making calls that sounded like the old standard cell-phone ring tones.

Reminds me of the below from The Onion archives....
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31817

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  17:54:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Why my anecdote reminded you of that is odd, since the lyrebird actually did a car alarm.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  18:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The Lyrebird makes wonderful songs from available sources but David Attenborough's own voice, his hushed, respectful intensity is also a beguiling sound.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  19:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Why my anecdote reminded you of that is odd, since the lyrebird actually did a car alarm.

Actually, I thought of it watching the video. It was your post that got me rooting around for the mockingbird piece. Funny name, the 'mocking'bird...always hear it as one name, not usually thinking of the 'mock' part. Appropriate name.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  19:54:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The Lyrebird makes wonderful songs from available sources but David Attenborough's own voice, his hushed, respectful intensity is also a beguiling sound.

Always enjoyed that about Attenbrough. His approach, his programs were like a one hour meditation, his voice a matra speaking of nature.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.