Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

by John Lennon/Paul McCartney

--------

Yes, we still need you. Happy birthday, Sir Paul!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  23:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
HM, is this your belated midlife crisis or something? Going by your other post as well, you seem a bit more down in the dumps about aging than usual.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  02:51:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

HM, is this your belated midlife crisis or something? Going by your other post as well, you seem a bit more down in the dumps about aging than usual.

If this is my midlife, I'll make it past 120! I really notice my age, but actually I'm pretty happy. I threw this one out because I was and am a big Beatles and McCartney fan. I'm delighted Paul made it to 64, and is still going strong and being productive.

Yours sincerely, wasting away

-- HalfMooner

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  03:07:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I thought we'd see them all in their 90's. And Keith Richards is still alive! Sort of.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  09:17:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Just a few words about getting older… It's one of life's dirty little tricks. There you are, going along as though you will live forever, or not thinking about your own mortality anyhow and one day you notice that people, sometimes friends of yours, your age, are dying of natural causes. Huh? That's not supposed to happen! “He was so, ummmm, healthy…”

Then, you begin to notice things like waking up with a pain you never had before. Might be in your back, or your knees or wherever. Not a big pain, but an annoying niggling pain that is soon joined by other little pains. And as the years progress, so do the sneak attacks of little pains. Eventually, you get so that running out of your favorite analgesic is reason enough to schlep out to the drugstore in a pouring rain.

You start forgetting little things like where you put your keys.

You are so much better at your job then you used to be, only your job has become physically painful and, if you're like me and have a job that requires a certain amount of physicality, nearly impossible to do without help.

And as your metabolism slows, your belly grows. It doesn't matter what you were once able get away with eating, diet becomes a concern of no small consequence.

One day you are told by your doctor that your cholesterol is too high and so is your blood pressure. Of course, you don't feel those things, they just happen. More diet concerns. You might have to start on some medications to counter the evil slow poison that your own mother nature is doling out to you in small but ever increasing doses.

And in all of that time you are gaining knowledge and, dare I say, the wisdom to use that knowledge. You are an improved version of yourself, accept for the slow but steady falling apart part.

And let us not forget the ever increasing chance of more serious assaults on your body like, well, heart attacks and such. A shot across the bow in my case, but unthinkable when I was surfing every day even while abusing my body in ways that I just can't tolerate today. For example, a once slight hangover left over from an evening of unbridled excess is now an epic three-day affair. (As the king of excess, I am not at all surprised that Hunter Thompson removed himself from the pain he must have endured by just being Hunter Thompson.)

Interestingly, with all of that, inside you feel no different from that youthful version of yourself. Not much different anyhow. So every time you pass a mirror you get a little shock. "Is that me?" “Where did the pigment in what's left of my hair go?”

Your path is now filled with landmines and one false step can spell disaster.

Okay, so I have made getting older sound pretty grim. It is what it is. Ain't nature grand? I find that it helps to make attitude adjustments along the way. Enjoy and share, with anyone who cares to listen, what you have learned. A sense of humor is essential. So have one. Keep your mind active. That is essential too. Sooner or later your age will begin catching up with you in a race that you will not win. So it helps to laugh and enjoy as many things that the pain in your [fill in the blank] will allow you to enjoy…

I am not depressed about getting older, just realistic about it. I have always felt that being born a human is like hitting a jackpot. I am not likely to be eaten alive by some larger predator while I'm out searching for something to eat alive. I was not born a nematode (and there are a whole lot more of them then there are of us.) And I get to read books, play on the Internet and consider my own existence. Plus, I get to copulate just because it's fun and do so without any regard for our species survival. (Though I suppose that could go too eventually…)

So, I join Mooner in wishing Paul, who seems to be “wasting away” gracefully, a happy birthday too.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  10:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
What an absolutely marvelous 3,000th post, Kil. Congrats!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  13:27:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That was wonderful, Kil!

And, to me, this was the very best part: "I have always felt that being born a human is like hitting a jackpot."

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  19:06:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Thanks!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  22:31:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
On a lighter note, my sister just sent me these:

About growing older ...

First ~ Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

Second ~ The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Third ~ Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Fourth ~ When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra.

Fifth ~ You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

Sixth ~ I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Seventh ~ One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young.

Eighth ~ One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.

Ninth ~ Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.

Tenth ~ Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf

And finally ~ If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you are old.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  04:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Very good. Please thank your sister for those words of wisdom, John!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.