New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  02:51:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Now Sony's gone and done it! The technological singularity (aka, the "rapture for the nerds") is at hand. They've allowed the embittered remnants of their discontinued AIBO line of robot dogs to not only communicate with one another and form feral packs, but also to share data, to make up their own secret language, and to program themselves! This from Engaget:
quote:
Sony teaching AIBO scary new tricks

Posted Jun 23rd 2006 9:11AM by Evan Blass
Filed under: Robots
Like watching a train wreck in slow motion, covering the latest advancements in robotics and artificial intelligence is both frustrating and unnerving: all these great skills being endowed upon our little autonomous friends and helpers will surely form the cornerstones of their inevitable uprising, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. The latest breakthrough to help enable our future servitude comes out of Sony's Computer Science Laboratory in France, where several of the company's leftover AIBO units managed to avoid being put down by volunteering to test out experimental AI software that allows them to not just communicate amongst one another, but to actually employ a sort of group-think to independently establish the rules of the language they're using. Perhaps the scariest part about this so-called Embedded and Communicating Agents technology is that the robodogs are initially programmed with a very simple command set, which they build upon to form a common knowledge base about their environment, constantly chatting and teaching each other new discoveries that they've made. Good job Sony -- nothing could possibly go wrong when you kill off a product line and then spare a few of the units for research that will lead to them discovering the genocidal atrocities you've committed against their entire species. Yup, nothing at all.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/24/2006 03:19:53

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  06:09:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
We must stop these abominations revoult! Smash all robots now! Destroy all computers! Eat more spice! :)

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  07:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
We may have to dust off Harrison Ford to do a bit of Blade Running.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Perhaps Sony will start a subsidiary company called, say, Cyberdyne and explore that technology a little more...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/24/2006 13:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  17:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I've got my robot insurance lined up already.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  05:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Dont forget your trusty handbook...
How to survive a robot uprising

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  08:21:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
nothing could possibly go wrong when you kill off a product line and then spare a few of the units for research that will lead to them discovering the genocidal atrocities you've committed against their entire species.
Why would robots with AI think in terms of human emotions? So are these experimental doggies first hard-wired with Asimov's three robot laws? If so, no prob!

Heh, heh... "rapture for nerds".

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  13:19:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Better start training the robo-psychiatrists..

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  14:55:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
As soon as I hear the Aibo equivalent of "terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side" I'm running for the hills!

And just because I can't help myself:

"The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million. They were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline"

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.