Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  13:06:56  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Is there something in the water in Texas? Check out these gems from the Texas Republican Theocratic Party. According to their platform (pdf):

quote:

We believe that human life is sacred, created in the image of God. Life begins at the moment of fertilization and ends at the point of natural death.

“We pray God Bless Texas. God Bless the U.S.A. God bless us all!”

We call for the Internal Revenue Code to be changed to allow a religious organization to address the vital issues of the day without fear of the organization losing its tax-exempt status.

Ten Commandments – We understand that the Ten Commandments are the basis of our basic freedoms and the cornerstone of our Western legal tradition. We therefore oppose any governmental action to restrict, prohibit, or remove public display of the Decalogue or other religious symbols.

Pledge of Allegiance – We support the adoption of the Pledge Protection Act. We decry any unconstitutional act of judicial tyranny that would demand removal of the words “One Nation under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance. We also demand that the National Motto “In God We Trust” and National Anthem be protected from legislative and judicial attack.

We support the traditional definition of marriage as a God–ordained, legal and moral commitment only between a natural man and a natural woman, which is the foundational unit of a healthy society, and we oppose the assault on marriage by judicial activists.

We oppose the recognition of and granting of benefits to people who represent themselves as domestic partners without being legally married. Texas families will be stronger because of the passage by Governor Perry and the 78th Texas Legislature of the “Defense of Marriage Act”, which denies recognition by Texas of homosexual “unions” legitimized by other states or nations.

Homosexuality - We believe that the practice of sodomy tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country's founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, recognition, or privileges including, but not limited to, marriage between persons of the same sex, custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

We urge school administrators and officials to inform Texas school students specifically of their First Amendment rights to pray and engage in religious speech, individually or in groups, on school property without government interference. We support and strongly urge Congress to pass a Religious Freedom Amendment, which provides: “Neither the United States nor any State shall prohibit student–sponsored prayer in public schools, nor compose any official student prayer or compel joining therein.” We urge the Texas Legislature to pass legislation which ends censorship of the discussion of the role of religion in our founding documents, and encourage reading and discussing those documents in our public schools.

We support the objective teaching and equal treatment of scientific strengths and weaknesses of scientific theories, including Intelligent Design. We believe theories of life origins and environme

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  14:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Is there something in the water in Texas? Check out these gems from the Texas Republican Theocratic Party. According to their platform (pdf):

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

We believe that human life is sacred, created in the image of God. Life begins at the moment of fertilization and ends at the point of natural death.

“We pray God Bless Texas. God Bless the U.S.A. God bless us all!”

We call for the Internal Revenue Code to be changed to allow a religious organization to address the vital issues of the day without fear of the organization losing its tax-exempt status.

Ten Commandments – We understand that the Ten Commandments are the basis of our basic freedoms and the cornerstone of our Western legal tradition. We therefore oppose any governmental action to restrict, prohibit, or remove public display of the Decalogue or other religious symbols.

Pledge of Allegiance – We support the adoption of the Pledge Protection Act. We decry any unconstitutional act of judicial tyranny that would demand removal of the words “One Nation under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance. We also demand that the National Motto “In God We Trust” and National Anthem be protected from legislative and judicial attack.

We support the traditional definition of marriage as a God–ordained, legal and moral commitment only between a natural man and a natural woman, which is the foundational unit of a healthy society, and we oppose the assault on marriage by judicial activists.

We oppose the recognition of and granting of benefits to people who represent themselves as domestic partners without being legally married. Texas families will be stronger because of the passage by Governor Perry and the 78th Texas Legislature of the “Defense of Marriage Act”, which denies recognition by Texas of homosexual “unions” legitimized by other states or nations.

Homosexuality - We believe that the practice of sodomy tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country's founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, recognition, or privileges including, but not limited to, marriage between persons of the same sex, custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

We urge school administrators and officials to inform Texas school students specifically of their First Amendment rights to pray and engage in religious speech, individually or in groups, on school property without government interference. We support and strongly urge Congress to pass a Religious Freedom Amendment, which provides: “Neither the United States nor any State shall prohibit student–sponsored prayer in public schools, nor compose any official student prayer or compel joining therein.” We urge the Texas Legislature to pass legislation which ends censorship of the discussion of the role of religion in our founding documents, and encourage reading and discussing those documents in our public schools.

We support the

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 07/16/2006 14:40:59
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  14:41:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This Republican Party of Texas platform is pretty much a fascist document. The Republicans are a bit ahead of the game, there in Texas. This shows the Theonazi direction that they want to take their entire national Party, and the country with it.

John Dean, the Watergate figure, was on The Daily Show the other evening to flog his book, Conservatives Without a Conscience. He describes himself as a "Goldwater conservative," which now places him to "the left of center," he says. Dean believes that the Bush folks are dangerously flirting with an authoritarian regime, but that it is not yet fully in place.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/16/2006 14:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  15:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This Republican Party of Texas platform is pretty much a fascist document. The Republicans are a bit ahead of the game, there in Texas. This shows the Theonazi direction that they want to take their entire national Party, and the country with it.

John Dean, the Watergate figure, was on The Daily Show the other evening to flog his book, Conservatives Without a Conscience. He describes himself as a "Goldwater conservative," which now places him to "the left of center," he says. Dean believes that the Bush folks are dangerously flirting with an authoritarian regime, but that it is not yet fully in place.

HalfMoooner, Man: Dean is all over the place, and not a minute too soon, I say. I heard him on Air America this morning talking about Goldwater some more and the book.

I've been concerned with rightward drift since Ronald Reagan, the Saint of Seamy Valley. What is really frightening about these theonazis, as you call them (and a good term it is, for sure), is: they've given up on the liberal democracy we've been running on and experimenting with for a couple of hundred years.

Hitler had nearly a whole population under his frenzied spell, but only about 23 to 25% are inclined to such stupidity these days. I think Dean covered that, too.

Diversity, to theonazis, is a scary thing, thus: democracy is a scary thing to them, as well. And the fact that that scares them SCARES ME.....A LOT.

I think two of the big underlying psychological motivators for them is: people who have different skin colors from them and people who enjoy sex with others of their own sex. The overriding power element, of course, is the guy who sort of thinks the theonazi way AND ALSO HAS A LOT A MATERIAL ASSETS HE WANTS TO PROTECT. Wow, what a weapon of mass distraction the theonazi can and has been. And we all know who's been doing that shit for way too long. Ever since the 5 to 4 ballgame at the Supreme Court. You know, the guy who's stated publicly that he knows how the world works; and talks about eating pork while two nations of different religions---each not believing in eating the flesh of a pig---are killing each other.

I can just barely remember the day FDR died. My mom was crying. And, believe me, when I say, this country I love is further up shit creek now that any time I can recall...and that includes WWII.

I figure, the way the Bushits see it: for some reason, which it not entirely clear to me, this is the only way they can try to take this country...not for the country's sake...but for their own.

How very unpatriotic and undemocratic that is!

oy

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 07/16/2006 15:31:50
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  15:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally quoted by R.Wreck

We understand that the Ten Commandments are the basis of our basic freedoms...
They're obviously delusional, since there isn't a single freedom mentioned in the Ten Commandments.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  15:53:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Yikes!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  15:55:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

They're obviously delusional, since there isn't a single freedom mentioned in the Ten Commandments.

Not to mention our legal system has it's roots in England's if I'm not mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  15:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Yep, English Common Law.

Once one of these idiots makes some false claim like the 10 Commandments are the basis of US law, the rest of the idiots just repeat it as if it were fact. Someone needs to correct this fallacy before it grows any bigger.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  16:02:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Did the Bible belt migrate to Texas or have the religious fanatics always been there? Perhaps it's a new wedge strategy, take over the USA one state at a time.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  16:06:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Fundraising on the memories of our fallen heroes is even a new low for Democrats. This is exploitation for political gain, pure and simple.

Both the irony and hypocritical meters broke on this one.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/16/2006 16:06:25
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  16:38:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I really was looking forward to a long, pleasant period of intellectual exploration before I grow mentally and physically incapable. I still hope this will be possible. But if the theonazis do complete their plan to set up their oppressive regime, I may end up going down in a blaze of gunfire instead. Because, make no mistake, a fully theocratic regime in the US would be something that would scream out to every Democracy-loving person in this land to rise up in armed revolt to restore the Constitution.

I don't know if such a Bushcalypse is going to happen. I honestly doubt it. As I believe that the theonazis are on now on a long-term decline in terms of public support, a full takeover would require that Bush decide to declare some sort of national emergency that would rule out his leaving office at the end of his term, and "suspend" other democratic processes. I still think even the Bush boys would not go so far. But, for me, predicting the actions of these folks has been a sad exercise in trying apply common sense to guessing what they will do. I do feel that, if Bush attempts a total take-over, the military itself is as likely to quash such a coup it as to help him with it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/16/2006 16:43:14
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  21:29:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Wow.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  21:36:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
Because, make no mistake, a fully theocratic regime in the US would be something that would scream out to every Democracy-loving person in this land to rise up in armed revolt to restore the Constitution.
Speak for yourself, Half. Some of us Democracy-loving persons think (and for good reason) that violence is more likely to worsen situations than solve them. Didn't you learn anything from MLK Jr. and Ghandi? Both of them fought horrible oppression without resorting to arms.

Besides, there is always the alternative (at least for those of us with some money and skills) of getting the hell out of Dodge. If real persecution against skeptics ever occurs we might even be able to get refugee status!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/16/2006 21:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  22:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Speak for yourself, Half. Some of us Democracy-loving persons think (and for good reason) that violence is more likely to worsen situations than solve them. Didn't you learn anything from MLK Jr. and Ghandi? Both of them fought horrible oppression without having to resort to arms.

Besides, there is always the alternative (at least for those of us with some money and skills) of getting the hell out of Dodge. If real persecution against skeptics ever occurs we might even be able to get refugee status!

Violence is force.

The non-violent protest style and manner of MLK and Ghandi are also a form of force.

The goal is to cause a change in the status quo.

Both things work. Violence works better, is easier to carry out, and has a much longer track record.

I would agree that it should never be the first resort, that non-violent means are ethically and morally superior, and that violence has to many unintended/tragic consequences to make it the desired choice in any circumstance.

The need for it (violence), however, is inevitable and unavoidable in most situations where some application of force (any of the many kinds of force) is required. It is a lesson history teaches us. The MLKs and Ghandis of the world are insignificant in number compared to the number of times violent force has settled an issue.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  22:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Forgot to add:

Holy crap! I always new Texans were crazy, but the TX republicans are dangerously insane.

Glad I don't live there.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  23:38:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
The Texas Taliban

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds.