New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:33:33  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
This thread will be locked on Jan 1, 2007. We need a few volunteer judges.

The Official SFN 2007 Psychic Prediction Contest

{OFFICIAL RULES}
Answer the 10 questions to the best of your psychic ability.

Each question will be scored at the end of 2007 on a scale from 0-5

0 Points = A total miss, psychic brain fart
1 Point = A miss close enough to be argued in your favor
3 points = A good guess, you got lucky
5 points = Dead on accurate

Example Question
Determine the surface location of the strongest earthquake of the year (Richter) within 500KM, use place names or coordinates.
Example answer: San Francisco, California
Example score,
-If the quake happened in SF or just outside and is known as “the San fran quake” 5 points
-If the quake happened in say across the bay in Oakland California, 3 points
-If the Quake was only within the 500KM range, 1 Point
-If outside 500KM, 0 points
Bonus score may be given in special circumstances, if the quake hit a tiny village in Mexico call San Fran, ect.

Each entry posted before Jan, 1 2007 will be judged by 3 people and the scores averaged, no judge may judge his/her own entry. Entries posted after Jan 1 will not be official.

(EXTRA DETAILS CAN BE BENIFICAL OR DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR SCORE)

Some qestions may be deemed unuseable if they are sufficiently altered by the time 2007 rolls around.

The following exchange rates will be used for the final results. Use one of these monetary units for your answers.
USD$-----GBP#-------EUR$-------AUD$-------Can$
1--------1.88879----1.2765-----0.7671-----0.887

Question 1,
Which countries will be officially renamed, which countries will break up into smaller countries and if you are really psychic what new names will they have.

Question 2,
Which Atlantic* Hurricanes will,{A} Be the strongest (reach the lowest pressure in millibars) and {B} cause the most damage in cost to North America/Hawaii/Caribbean. Hurricanes from the 2006 or 2007 season which happen in January are excluded.
Andrea, Barry, Chantal, Dean, Erin, Felix, Gabrielle, Humberto, Ingrid, Jerry, Karen, Lorenzo, Melissa, Noel, Olga, Pablo, Rebekah, Sebastien, Tanya, Van, Wendy, Alpha, Beta…

*Pacific hurricanes which form off the west coast of NA are included in this list.

Question 3,
Determine the surface location of the strongest earthquake of the year (Richter) within 500KM, use place names or coordinates.

Question 4,
List at least 5 famous people who will die in 2007, bonuses for people who are not already on their deathbed (Such as the leader of Hezbollah, Sheik Nazrallah) Murdering of your listees will result in removal from the contest.

Question 5,
Describe the worst terrorist attacks of 2007, thwarted attacks do not count. Nor 'Terror' attacks by military forces such as Israel/Hezbollah.
{A} Most Deaths
{B} Most Damage, cost
{C} Location and Targets

Question 6,
Name the highest Grossing Film released in 2007 for worldwide box office numbers as reported by www.Boxofficemojo.com Here is a list of scheduled movies for 2007
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/releases/year.php?2007

Question 7,
The price of a barrel of oil in NYC on the morning of JAN 1, 2008.(WTI price)

Question 8,
Pick three stocks which will increase in value 5% or more for the year of 2007. Please use the name/symbol and stock index it can be found on if possible.

Question 9,
Which Video Game System will have the largest worldwide hardware sales numbers for the year of 2007? Xbox360, PS3, PS2, PSP, NintendoDS, Nintendo Wii.

Question 10,
Show us your psychic skills and predict something which nobody would expect. Judges will determine the difficulty of your predictions and worthiness of your answers. 0-5 points possible.

EDIT: Spelling, removed the poorly done questions.

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 09/27/2006 10:05:56

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Can we submit multiple prediction lists? (I'm thinking of submitting one list of prognostications for humorous effect, and one based on my best guesses, which may end up being even more humorous.) If more than one were submitted, would they be independently judged?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Hmm, Id say make an Official Entry, and then knock yourself out with another one. Dont want to make too much research work for the Judges. It may be hard to track down some of this data.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:12:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, given that Dave and Kil are the mods for this forum, they should be at least two of the judges!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I didnt want to volunteer them, hell keeping up with Mozina is a full time job for Dave...Anyway, I will be a judge...just need 3 more.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'll be a judge, so long as everyone is satisfied that I'll be impartial.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  10:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Me too, if only to keep an eye on Dave.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:17:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Me too, if only to keep an eye on Dave.

I'll be one, just to keep you two clowns honest.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:36:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Ok thats it, Judges will be
Dave W
Kil
Valiant Dancer
BigPapaSmurf

Judges cannot judge their own scores and the remaining scores will be averaged.

Im changing question 1 and 8 since no one has given their answers yet, they were too vague and needed to be more testable.

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 08/14/2006 10:42:34
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

This thread will be locked on Jan 1, 2007. We need a few volunteer judges.

The Official SFN 2007 Psychic Prediction Contest
Question 1,
Name a country that will be renamed in 2007 and what the new name will be.

The Gambia will be renamed to Banjul. In addition Annobon will declare independance from Equatorial Guinea.

quote:

Question 2,
Which Atlantic Hurricanes will,{A} Be the strongest (reach the lowest pressure in millibars) and {B} cause the most damage in cost to North America/Hawaii/Caribbean. Hurricanes from the 2006 season which happen in January are excluded.
Andrea, Barry, Chantal, Dean, Erin, Felix, Gabrielle, Humberto, Ingrid, Jerry, Karen, Lorenzo, Melissa, Noel, Olga, Pablo, Rebekah, Sebastien, Tanya, Van, Wendy, Alpha, Beta…

I'm getting a sign that Hurricane Gabrielle will have this distinction. While not the worst on record, pressure readings will be in the 930 mb range. Jerry will cause the most damage in Florida.

quote:

Question 3,

300 klicks WSW of Medan, Indonesia, strength 7.3

quote:

Question 4,
List at least 5 famous people who will die in 2007, bonuses for people who are not already on their deathbed (Such as the leader of Hezbollah, Sheik Nazrallah) Murdering of your listees will result in removal from the contest.

1) Mickey Rooney
2) George Takei
3) Martin Landau
4) Abe Vigoda
5) Billy Graham

quote:

Question 5,
Describe the worst terrorist attacks of 2007, thwarted attacks do not count. Nor 'Terror' attacks by military forces such as Israel/Hezbollah.
{A} Most Deaths
{B} Most Damage, cost
{C} Location and Targets

Iraqi insurgents will kill 100 near Tikrit, Iraq 3 will be US servicemen.

quote:

Question 6,
Name the highest Grossing Film released in 2007 for worldwide box office numbers as reported by www.Boxofficemojo.com Here is a list of scheduled movies for 2007

Highest grossing film, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer

quote:

Question 7,
The price of a barrel of oil in NYC on the morning of JAN 1, 2008.

$65.33

quote:

Question 8,
Name 3 stocks that will increase 5% or more in 2007.

1) Microsoft (MSFT)
2) AT&T (T)
3) Boeing (BA)

quote:

Question 9,
Which Video Game System will have the largest worldwide hardware sales numbers for the year of 2007? Xbox360, PS3, PS2, PSP, NintendoDS, Nintendo Wii.

Xbox360

quote:

Question 10,
Show us your psychic skills and predict something which nobody would expect. Judges will determine the difficulty of your predictions and worthiness of your answers. 0-5 points possible.

EDIT: Spelling

Rove will be indicted as an al-Queida spy.

Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 08/15/2006 05:19:03
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  11:39:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Lol Damnit VD, I changed question 1 and 8 at the exact same time you posted, If you dont mind would you edit your answers for the new questions...

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  05:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Lol Damnit VD, I changed question 1 and 8 at the exact same time you posted, If you dont mind would you edit your answers for the new questions...

OK done. This will be the last edit I'll do for fairness sake.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  10:09:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
BigPapaSmurfs Official Entry

Question 1,
Which countries will be officially renamed, which countries will break up into smaller countries and if you are really psychic what new names will they have.

Puerto Rico will join the US as the 51st state and Iraq will break into three semi-autonomous states, Kurdistan, Bosra and Mosul.

Question 2,
Which Atlantic Hurricanes will,{A} Be the strongest (reach the lowest pressure in millibars) and {B} cause the most damage in cost to North America/Hawaii/Caribbean. Hurricanes from the 2006 season which happen in January are excluded.

Felix will reach 915mb and also cause the most damage...primarily to Florida

Question 3,

50KM east of Istanbul

Question 4,

Michael Jackson, Bob Barker, Joe Paterno, Dick Cheney and Kim Jong Il.

Question 5,
{A} Most Deaths
{B} Most Damage, cost
{C} Location and Targets

The crowd at the Tour de France will be attacked by a suicide bomber but the most damage will come from a truck bombing in South London.

Question 6,

Spiderman3 will do 780Million WW boxoffice.

Question 7,

62.01$

Question 8,
Pick three stocks which will increase in value 5% or more for the year of 2007. Please use the name/symbol and stock index it can be found on if possible.

Priceline.com (pcln) XM satellite (xmsr)and Sirius Satellite(siri)Radio these two will merge and leave a higher valued XM, and Nintendo(ntdoy)

Question 9,

Wii

Question 10,

Mt Reineer will erupt and cause a devestating lahar

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 09/15/2006 10:17:07
Go to Top of Page

sack of kittens

12 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  14:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sack of kittens a Private Message
Question 1,

Hercules will shake the pillars and crests,
the eagle wounding the wolf inland of opposing shores.
The waning moon falls twice nearby,
once strengthed , once split.

Question 2,

When the lesser prince angers
the scribes seat shall fall
dimissive of the Kings daughter .
A huntress seeks robes cast in stones reddened.

Question 3,

Cain not slain but wounded
is ressurected in Madrids new lands.
The pale horse rides
the length of the winter night.

Question 4,

The artist fool and the painted lady tamed,
the lion trailing the foreign uncrowned king;
an inventor of new fire extinguished
soon after the merchants blood rusts.

Question 5,
{A} Most Deaths
{B} Most Damage, cost
{C} Location and Targets

Old young and sick
the poor wail the prometheus surging.
The iron shoe in water worth the days gold
with york cast in shadow.

Question 6,

The poet in yellow
catches the rebel bird.
Dutch lands advancing on
the tattered ship in albion

Question 7,

Three times increased ,the years value returns
a throne struck down by the new wealth.
The new kings money
spent in as many days doubled .

Question 8,

The increasing letter framed
surpassing the fox in it's lair.
The new city rejoices
in the fat of the oxen.

Question 9,

The sun rising in the east
will illuminate a box unmoved.
No intent can defeat
the only king in the valley.

Question 10,

Heaven shall tremble oon the rock
when the fruit of Eden falls.
A rot reversed in the fountains wash,
the alchemist , surgeon and merchant cast out and maligned.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  09:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
OK here goes...

1. Sudan will break into 2 countries.

2. Jerry will be the strongest hurricane but Olga will cause the most damage.

3. Tabriz, Iran

4. Kirk Douglas
Gerald Ford
Nancy Regan
Jerry Falwell
Sylvia Browne

5. Most deaths - Sri Lanka by the Tamil Tigers
Highest cost - American embassy Iraq

6. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

7. Barrel of oil $78.42

8. Advanced Micro Devices, AMD, NYSE
General Motors, GM, NYSE
Corning Inc., GLW, NYSE

9. PS3

10. The STEREO satellite will reveal that the sun has a solid surface.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  17:15:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

Question 1,

Northern Iraq will become Kurdistan. Palestine will exists using parts of gaza and israel.

quote:

Question 2,

Strongest = Karen
Most Damage = Karen

quote:

Question 3,

175 miles east north east of the coast of Sumatra (near the city of Medan).

quote:

Question 4,

1) Bin Laden
2) Dick "Emporer Palpatine" Cheney
3) Keith Richards
4) Steven Hawking
5) Gerald Ford

quote:

Question 5,
{A} Most Deaths
{B} Most Damage, cost
{C} Location and Targets

a) Bagdad (at least 200 dead)
b) Southern Iraq - pipeline or refinery attacked costing millions overall

quote:

Question 6,

Pirates of the Carribean

quote:

Question 7,

$76.87 US

quote:

Question 8,

Google
Vonage (can't get any lower can it)
Sirius (I hope!)

quote:

Question 9,

PS3

quote:

Question 10,

Coulter will quote the ABC movie "Path to 9/11" in a book or column at least once.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.