Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  05:03:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Doing a conversion based on the current exchange rate (0.7567) and the less variable liters to gallons in Sydney, Australia, we're paying an average of around US$3.37 per gallon. (Based on AUS$1.20 per liter, to use sensible units).
For me, around 10.5 SEK per liter which translates to AUS$1.90 per liter or US$5.42 per gallon.

I'm glad I go by bike to work.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  07:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I finally got one!
quote:
Sent - 10/24/2006 : 05:44:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mattins Wilson.
Abidjan, Ivory Coast

Dearest one ,

Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I got your name and contact from our country chambers of industry (internet department).
I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to its esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trust worthy person that I can do business with and by the recommendation , I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business .

I am Mattins Wilson the only son of late Mr. and Mrs. Michael Wilson. My father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan , the economic capital of Ivory coast, my father was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings on a business trip .

My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my father on october 2004 in a private hospital here in Abidjan he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of Ten million,five hundred thousand United State Dollars. USD ($10,500,000.00) left in fixed suspense account in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan ,that he used my name as his only Son for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates.
That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose.
Dear, I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways:
(1) To provide a bank account into which this money
would be transferred to.
(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund.
(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your
country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country.

Moreover, I am willing to offer you 15%
of the total sum as compensation for your effort/
input after the successful transfer of this fund into
your nominated account overseas.

Furthermore, you indicate your options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14) days you signify interest to assist me. Anticipating to hear from you soon.

Thanks and God bless.

I feel ever so much less neglected now.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/24/2006 07:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  10:55:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Hey, Filthy, I finally got one too.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  12:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

...we're paying an average of around US$3.37 per gallon.
I was paying close to that just four or five months ago. I imagine back then that you were also paying a proportionally higher price, though, too.
quote:
While fuel prices are high, I for some reason find the weekly hikes more annoying. We're expected to believe these price trends are anything but a chance to screw people too lazy/ignorant to fill up before the weekend. There's a regular-as-clockwork 10% premium for filling up on the weekend. I'm sure this phenomenon is widespread.

My weekly usage is typically a little more than a tankfull, so I fill the car and a 10 litre can on a Monday/Tuesday, whether I desperately need it or not. It probably only saves me $100 or so a year, but better in my pocket than theirs.
Huh. Well, my commute is such that I fill my tank every three days or so, but I hardly drive my car at all on the weekends.

Hey, doesn't that data show that you should have filled up every Tuesday, instead of Monday?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  13:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I have a new walking cane.

At first blush, this is less than an earth-shattering event, but it has suddenly caused me a problem.

You see, I've walked with a cane off and on since the early ‘70s and as might be expected, I have a fair number of canes of several types. I have cheap canes that are not suitable -- too flimsy, T-handles that I dislike, a couple of homemade sticks that I like but are not as good as they could be, and a sword cane that is excellent for concealing the toad-stabber, but pure merde for a support cane. If fact, the best cane I have is one that was given me by the VA some 30 years ago. It has a shepherd's crook handle which I prefer in that I can hang it in a back pocket and free up both hands, and it is good and stout. This last is important because for the last eight or nine, or so years, I have come to lean very heavily on my stick. Thus, it is the stick that I use almost exclusively.

I consider metal canes to be garbage and don't have one.

Well, after some three decades of abuse, that loyal old cane is looking awfully funky. It is as beat and battered as it's owner and so, a couple of weeks ago, I started looking for a new one. And found a beauty!

It has a shaft that is about 1 1/8 inches in diameter and is made out of hickory. The crook is quite large and tapers sharply at the end. I ordered it from a place called Cane Masters, which turns out to be a martial arts outfit. They represented it as a “street” cane, which I thought was rather like my old VA stick, except a bit more rugged. Silly me -- it's a freakin' combat cane!

And a damned expensive one to be so close to the bottom of their line.

But what a lovely piece of wood it is. Then grain is smooth and distinct, and bi-colored from having some heart wood in it. It is worth every dime, and here's the problem: I can never seem to leave well enough alone. That stick is so pretty that I decided to give it a gunstock finish, no stain. A lot of work, hand-rubbed gunstock finishes….

It's coming along nicely. I've got the sealer coats on and am starting the finish coats, done literally by hand and not applied with a rag. It is really starting to show a deep and beautiful luster, and my hands smell pleasantly of tung oil.

And just this morning, it occurred to me: after a couple weeks of constant use, it will begin to take on the first appearances of a working cane and before the year is out, it too, will begin to look like it‘s been through a riot following use in a hockey game.

What to do? I can't stop the finish now; it's going too well. Is this to be a dress-up stick and a wall-hanger between times? That won't work -- I never dress up anymore.

Did I mention that it was quite expensive? It was, you know.

And yes, I fear I am an idiot….

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/24/2006 13:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  13:33:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Well the finish will help it some, but you bought it to use, and it will last for a good long while. I say finish it, enjoy it until you ding it, then swear at yourself for dinging it, then never think on it again and let it be a useful cane rather then a museum piece.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  19:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I have a new walking cane.

At first blush, this is less than an earth-shattering event, but it has suddenly caused me a problem.

You see, I've walked with a cane off and on since the early ‘70s and as might be expected, I have a fair number of canes of several types. I have cheap canes that are not suitable -- too flimsy, T-handles that I dislike, a couple of homemade sticks that I like but are not as good as they could be, and a sword cane that is excellent for concealing the toad-stabber, but pure merde for a support cane. If fact, the best cane I have is one that was given me by the VA some 30 years ago. It has a shepherd's crook handle which I prefer in that I can hang it in a back pocket and free up both hands, and it is good and stout. This last is important because for the last eight or nine, or so years, I have come to lean very heavily on my stick. Thus, it is the stick that I use almost exclusively.

I consider metal canes to be garbage and don't have one.

Well, after some three decades of abuse, that loyal old cane is looking awfully funky. It is as beat and battered as it's owner and so, a couple of weeks ago, I started looking for a new one. And found a beauty!

It has a shaft that is about 1 1/8 inches in diameter and is made out of hickory. The crook is quite large and tapers sharply at the end. I ordered it from a place called Cane Masters, which turns out to be a martial arts outfit. They represented it as a “street” cane, which I thought was rather like my old VA stick, except a bit more rugged. Silly me -- it's a freakin' combat cane!

And a damned expensive one to be so close to the bottom of their line.

But what a lovely piece of wood it is. Then grain is smooth and distinct, and bi-colored from having some heart wood in it. It is worth every dime, and here's the problem: I can never seem to leave well enough alone. That stick is so pretty that I decided to give it a gunstock finish, no stain. A lot of work, hand-rubbed gunstock finishes….

It's coming along nicely. I've got the sealer coats on and am starting the finish coats, done literally by hand and not applied with a rag. It is really starting to show a deep and beautiful luster, and my hands smell pleasantly of tung oil.

And just this morning, it occurred to me: after a couple weeks of constant use, it will begin to take on the first appearances of a working cane and before the year is out, it too, will begin to look like it‘s been through a riot following use in a hockey game.

What to do? I can't stop the finish now; it's going too well. Is this to be a dress-up stick and a wall-hanger between times? That won't work -- I never dress up anymore.

Did I mention that it was quite expensive? It was, you know.

And yes, I fear I am an idiot….

Fascinating cane stuff, Filthy. I use one, too, and even attached a mount for it on my electric bike. You know you're getting old when you need to put a cane-holder on your bike.

I think we may have looked at some of the same cane sites. The wood on my cane is all beat up on the surface, but the brass handle is nice. I've been thinking of putting black heat-shrink tubing over its shaft, though that is not near as elegant as your finishing work.

The place I live is so damned peaceful that if I wanted a fight, I'd have to start one for myself, maybe even with myself. California laws, I seem to recall, make sword canes essentially as felonious as a concealed pistol, though I like the idea of 'em. Even something considered a club can get you thrown into the hoosegow. And I think they shoot you on

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  01:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Please explain what makes that cane a "combat cane." Is a 12-gauge built in?
It has to do with the diameter (strength) and the end of the crook. It comes to something of a point, useful for inflicting great pain upon those who offend you. Being a martial arts sort of thing, which I know next to nothing about, I assume there is some strenuous footwork and shouting involved. The Cane Masters link shows more detail.

Looked at from that angle, it's a nasty piece of work. I find myself reminded of the medieval quarter staffs carried around by various people, notably foot-traveling commoners, in days of yore. Harmless enough looking, but a world of grief in the right hands. Heh, like you, I live so quietly that a fight would starve to death before it could find me.

This is basically what my new stick looks like unfinished, except it's bi-colored.

I rarely endorse (shill) any product, but the quality of these canes is impeccable, $$ not withstanding. I'd like to have known about them a couple of decades ago.

My VA issue, electric sick-sled came through with a handy cane holder.

It's not nearly finished yet, but I am already looking forward to it getting it's first scratchs so's I can quit worrying about it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  02:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ah, thanks. That does look like a formatable weapon. Have you considered putting a urethane finish on it? That's pretty tough stuff.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  03:37:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Ah, thanks. That does look like a formatable weapon. Have you considered putting a urethane finish on it? That's pretty tough stuff.

Urethane's ok, but you don't quite get that deep finish that oil gives you. Heh, and it's too easy.

Actually, I urethaned one of my home-made canes, years ago. It was made from a small pin cherry that I found growing over a pebble. The pebble had shaped the top of the root so that it easily carved into a handle at exactly the right angle. After it cured, I used a walnut stain, then the finish.

The urethane did indeed hold up well, but when it finally went to hell, it seemed to do it all at once.

I still use that cane once in a while -- it looks very rustic and impresses hell out of the city chicks (even though I don't). Maybe one day, I'll strip it down and redo it.

I'm having such a good time with this gorgeous piece of hickory that I'm thinking about, later on, trying to clean up the loyal, old VA Special and refinishing that.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  17:31:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
quote:

My weekly usage is typically a little more than a tankfull, so I fill the car and a 10 litre can on a Monday/Tuesday, whether I desperately need it or not. It probably only saves me $100 or so a year, but better in my pocket than theirs.

Huh. Well, my commute is such that I fill my tank every three days or so, but I hardly drive my car at all on the weekends.

Hey, doesn't that data show that you should have filled up every Tuesday, instead of Monday?

Yeah, I usually wait until Tuesday, and Wednesday's often fine at most places. Different places play the game slightly differently I find. On Monday they're going for the "have no choice but to pay whatever $$ if I want to get to work" crowd I guess.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  17:49:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Please explain what makes that cane a "combat cane." Is a 12-gauge built in?
It has to do with the diameter (strength) and the end of the crook. It comes to something of a point, useful for inflicting great pain upon those who offend you. Being a martial arts sort of thing, which I know next to nothing about, I assume there is some strenuous footwork and shouting involved. The Cane Masters link shows more detail.

I've been doing martial arts for over 20 years. Most of my time has been spent on a style of freestyle TaeKownDo, which isn't particularly weapons-use focused. Over the years however the instructors have cross trained with all sorts of others. For a couple of years I worked pretty closely with some practitioners of a Hapkido who do a lot of cane work. In the hands of an even mildly trained practitioner, a cane is a very useful and nasty piece of work indeed.

Some years ago, my instructor at the time, a 3rd degree attempting his 4th degree black belt, incorporated a lot of cane work into the self defence portions of his routines. As one of his two fall guys on the day (and for several months beforehand) I can personally testify to the pain they can cause rather effortlessly. They're one of the few martial arts weapons you can carry around without attracting much negative attention.

As to the quality of the weapons, you'll find that martial arts stores often have very nicely made wooden weapons, which sometimes find other uses. An old bo (staff) of mine has become a pole for use as a hand-grip at the top of a ladder on my daughters cubby house, for instance. A nice smooth grip, strong with just a little give, and looks pretty neat too!

Some bokken (wooden swords) are beautifully made, even if it is their destiny to become bruised and battered. They're also a formidable weapon even without a blade. They are, however, much more likely than a cane to earn you a good talking to from law enforcement folks if you take to carrying one around.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  20:25:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Some bokken (wooden swords) are beautifully made, even if it is their destiny to become bruised and battered. They're also a formidable weapon even without a blade.
My friends and I used to knock the crap out of each other in the backyard with bokken, until one guy got what we called his "bokken finger" (gettit? Ha!). Then we found out about and switched to shinai. 17 years later, and I've still got my one bokken and four shinai (all of 'em beat to hell).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  20:50:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Different places play the game slightly differently I find.
The place across the street from where I get gas has prices that vary by up to ten cents (plus or minus) from the place I normally go to. Because that street is incredibly busy, I don't try to go to the cheaper of the two (crossing it - twice - at rush hour would nearly cancel out any savings). I figure it averages out, anyway.

By the way, I paid $1.979 tonight. Two cents a gallon cheaper than last week.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  08:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
How much do you pay for your water?

http://www.alternet.org/story/43480/

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds.