Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Pluto demoted as astronomers downsize solar system

quote:
Prague — Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.

After a tumultuous week of clashing over the essence of the cosmos, the International Astronomical Union stripped Pluto of the planetary status it has held since its discovery in 1930. The new definition of what is — and isn't — a planet fills a centuries-old black hole for scientists who have laboured since Copernicus without one.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:23:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
What impact does this have on astrology?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:11:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Its about damn time!

Well the asstrologers will just say the "Official classification" isnt whats important.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:14:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
But if Pluto wasn't a planet to begin with, astrologers would not have used it, right?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:26:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I don't think astrology uses any planets except those known to the ancients, excluding Neptune, Pluto, Ceres, and "Xena".

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
What I actually find hilarious in all this is that the arguments over the definition of planets grew so heated in this astronomical convocation. (Now, the surface of the sun, that's something to get heated about!)
quote:
The decision at a conference of 2,500 astronomers from 75 countries was a dramatic shift from just a week ago, when the group's leaders floated a proposal that would have reaffirmed Pluto's planetary status and made planets of its largest moon and two other objects.

That plan proved highly unpopular, splitting astronomers into factions and triggering days of sometimes combative debate that led to Pluto's undoing. In the end, only about 300 astronomers cast ballots.

It's great to at last have planetary definitions that are agreed upon, but the planets, major, minor, and wannabe, couldn't care less. I guess they dropped the word, "pluton" -- this at least may begin the long healing process with the angry geologist lot. But, dammit, they didn't use my word, "percion"!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/24/2006 10:57:41
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:02:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Well, I'm not one to stay up to date on astrology :-) Thanks...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
This leaves us no choice but to close our embassy and embark on the long 12 year journey home. We will miss Earthly delights, such as liquid water and spaghetti, but full planetary status has always been a hallmark of our relationship with Earth.

Regards,
Zorg@*gon 4,
Ambassador and Representative of the Plutonian High Council
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  13:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
Oh this is just great! Now what the hell is My Very Elderly Mother Just Sitting Upon Nine of?

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Edited by - McQ on 08/24/2006 13:56:25
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Well, I'm not one to stay up to date on astrology

Because oh so much of it has changed in the past 1 or 2 millennia.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
To pay homage to the newly demoted Pluto, I think I'll mix a martini, dust off my old 45 rpm copy of the 5th Dimension's "Age of Aquarius", and play it at 33 and 1/3.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  15:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Well, I'm not one to stay up to date on astrology

Because oh so much of it has changed in the past 1 or 2 millennia.

It has?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  06:02:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The American Association of Asstrologers said "it wouldnt effect charting of future, ...pluto is still an effective energy source..."

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  07:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

The American Association of Asstrologers said "it wouldnt effect charting of future, ...pluto is still an effective energy source..."

Yeah, right. And the fact that its existance was unknown a hundred years ago, and that didn't affect their readings...

In fact, if Pluto was such a powerful influence, then Pluto's existance and general orbit should have been possible to predict when examining the discrepancy in the failed astrological predictions of the past. That would have been powerful evidence for astrology. Chinese astrologers have had several thousand years to figure that out.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  07:38:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

Oh this is just great! Now what the hell is My Very Elderly Mother Just Sitting Upon Nine of?
Well, I always learned it as: My very excellent mother just sent us nine pies. Now perhaps "My very excellent mother just sent us . . . nukes?"
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  07:43:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
My very excellent mother just sent us . . . nanotechnology.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.