Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  19:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ergo123

Once again your silence is deafening.

Why don't you come back when you have more than a handful of false assertions and a needless contempt for those who generously attempt to show you the many, many problems with your evidence-free conjectures.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  19:54:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
ergo123:
Well, someone truly looking for the truth wouldn't just stop there--only someone affraid of what pushing that theory will result in would stop there.

Sorry, but that doesn't work. I am not afraid of what I would find if there was enough evidence to investigate the cd theory. Sure, it would be a big bummer if it was true, but it's also a bummer that there is probably no life after death. But I accept that probable fate based on a lack of evidence otherwise. On the other hand, a person of faith may pursue that possibility to his grave. All theories are not equal. And that is a point that you seem to ignore. You would have scientists pursuing, or giving equal weight to all hypotheses, which is just not a reasonable thing to expect.

Given the problems with the cd theory, it does not rise to the level of likelihood that the planes did it theory does. It doesn't even come close.

Soooooo…

If you feel otherwise, it is up to you to present the evidence to support the cd theory. Not us. As an extraordinary claim, it is up to the claimant (you) to provide the evidence to support said claim. (I know you have said you are not making that claim. But of course, you are offering it as a viable alternative, which is pretty much the same thing. You need to demonstrate that it really is a viable alternative to the official theory. Once again, like creationists taking pot shots at Darwin, without offering a viable alternative to evolution, you do the same with the NIST report. It's time to leave that alone and take your best shot at supporting the theory you favor. Otherwise, this has all been hot air.)

All conclusions are tentative. So you do have a shot here. (One you seem reluctant to take, and worse, feel more comfortable throwing insults in our direction because we don't just drop everything and follow you down a road you have so far refused to take on your own. If you need us to hold your hand, why don't you just say so?)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  20:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is that all you can process--things that are explicitly said or written? What kind of scientist can't see what is assumed in a given argument?! And does NIST or the 9/11 CR discuss what happened at the pentagon? I must have missed those chapters...
Holy crap! You're right: the government's whole theory revolves around 19 hijackers just coincidentally boarding four planes and flying three of them into buildings! The scales have been lifted from mine eyes, and I see the glory that exists within the sheepskin of Steven Jones! O, WOE upon the world that hath not accepted the "pools of molten metal" nor the "gravity only worketh vertically" arguments! WOE be to those poor sheeple who are fooled by the Feds into thinking that photographs of airplane wreckage at the Pentagon have not been Photoshoppethed! Surely thou, ergo, art the shepard to bring this flock around!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  22:38:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ramen, Dave, ramen!

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  04:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Now then: if you wanted to blast the top of the Twin Towers down into their own footprints, how would you go about it? Just in a general sort of way. You don't have to get too technical unless you want to.

How does a shaped charge work, and how would you assemble one? What is a liniar shaped charge and how it it used? What other types of shaped charges are there, and their uses. Be precise, because shaped charges on the support structure is the only way to implode a major building.

Answer those few questions, laddy, and you will have discovered that groundlessness for yourself.

You are guessing; I am not.

Am I to assume that this means:
A( You are too lazy to look up the answers
B( Afraid of what you might find
C( Are here just to troll?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  04:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D) All of the above
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  04:16:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For others who might be interested, Wikipedia has some excellent and well-references articles on demolitions....:

Demolitions

Shaped charges

Primacord

And if ergo should actually open those links (he won't. They almost never do), he might learn something about the impossibility of his entirely speculative conjecture. Or not....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:13:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Haven't you caught on yet Dave? You are my fact-checker... that's what you are for.
Oh, okay, so you lied when you said that you didn't expect anyone else to do your homework for you. Got it, I understand now.

No, I didn't lie. I just changed my approach. You seemed to enjoy taking points I made and doing the research on them to prove me wrong. I realized what a time saver that was. Not only did you save me time debunking some of my points, but the ones you did not debunk indicate areas that will likely be fruitful.

No witty quotes. I think for myself.
Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Once again your silence is deafening.

Why don't you come back when you have more than a handful of false assertions and a needless contempt for those who generously attempt to show you the many, many problems with your evidence-free conjectures.

How do you know the accusations are false? You show no evidence that they are false?

BTW: Why are you so angry?

Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:37:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
ergo123:
Well, someone truly looking for the truth wouldn't just stop there--only someone affraid of what pushing that theory will result in would stop there.

quote:
Sorry, but that doesn't work. I am not afraid of what I would find if there was enough evidence to investigate the cd theory.

Then why don't you investigate it?

quote:
Sure, it would be a big bummer if it was true, but it's also a bummer that there is probably no life after death. But I accept that probable fate based on a lack of evidence otherwise.

So to you, lack of evidence is evidence of probable non-existance? That's a leap of faith I'm not willing to make. For me, lack of evidence is lack of evidence. All it does for me is lead me to realize that I don't know the answer. So while you would answer the question of "Is there a life after death?" with a "Probably not," I would answer it with an "I don't know."

Based on my experience with people like you (people who make those leaps of faith, typically out of some need to have "an answer") those little assumptions are sympomatic of a closed mind--a mind that needs closure on a topic to move on. The problem with that kind of mind is that its subconscious tries to defend those assumptions and turns a blind eye to evidence that counters those assumptions. Read some Freud to fully understand what I'm talking about.

quote:
Given the problems with the cd theory, it does not rise to the level of likelihood that the planes did it theory does. It doesn't even come close.

What problems with the cd theory? All anyone has presented is some logistical issues with a "typical" controlled demolition--one that is designed such that none of the debris will hit another building and no one gets hurt. I haven't seen anyone offer any evidence that there would be problems with a controlled demolition where those criteria were not applied to the situation.

Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is that all you can process--things that are explicitly said or written? What kind of scientist can't see what is assumed in a given argument?! And does NIST or the 9/11 CR discuss what happened at the pentagon? I must have missed those chapters...
Holy crap! You're right: the government's whole theory revolves around 19 hijackers just coincidentally boarding four planes and flying three of them into buildings! The scales have been lifted from mine eyes, and I see the glory that exists within the sheepskin of Steven Jones! O, WOE upon the world that hath not accepted the "pools of molten metal" nor the "gravity only worketh vertically" arguments! WOE be to those poor sheeple who are fooled by the Feds into thinking that photographs of airplane wreckage at the Pentagon have not been Photoshoppethed! Surely thou, ergo, art the shepard to bring this flock around!

No, Dave. That's not the coincidental part.

Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Now then: if you wanted to blast the top of the Twin Towers down into their own footprints, how would you go about it? Just in a general sort of way. You don't have to get too technical unless you want to.

How does a shaped charge work, and how would you assemble one? What is a liniar shaped charge and how it it used? What other types of shaped charges are there, and their uses. Be precise, because shaped charges on the support structure is the only way to implode a major building.

Answer those few questions, laddy, and you will have discovered that groundlessness for yourself.

You are guessing; I am not.

Am I to assume that this means:
A( You are too lazy to look up the answers
B( Afraid of what you might find
C( Are here just to troll?

Assume what you like, filth. But the reason I don't bother answering your questions or looking at your wikipedia links is that they are irrelevant because they deal with conventional or traditional controlled demolitions--which are designed to cause no collateral damage to property or people.

If the collapse of the twin towers and building 7 were assisted by a controlled demolition, it would appear that those design issues were not really accounted for.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  09:02:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, I didn't lie. I just changed my approach.
Without letting anyone know.
quote:
You seemed to enjoy taking points I made and doing the research on them to prove me wrong.
No, my point was that your "points" can't possibly be made. They were just wild assertions without support.
quote:
I realized what a time saver that was.
And you would save even more time by checking them yourself before you even assert their truthfulness here.
quote:
Not only did you save me time debunking some of my points, but the ones you did not debunk indicate areas that will likely be fruitful.
What a nutty assumption that is, since the primary limitation on what I do or don't debunk is how much time I have to spare. Jones' other arguments seem just as easy to eliminate - a handful of minutes looking at the actual evidence followed by a few seconds' thought and maybe a calculation or two. The most time is simply spent typing it all up. Since you have no need to type any of it up to debunk them for yourself, it'd be much more time-efficient for both of us if you did your homework on your own.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  09:03:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, Dave. That's not the coincidental part.
Then what is?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  09:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No, I didn't lie. I just changed my approach.
quote:
Without letting anyone know.

Now you know!

quote:
I realized what a time saver that was.
quote:
And you would save even more time by checking them yourself before you even assert their truthfulness here.

I'm not following your logic here dave. How does doing the fact checking myself save me time versus having a genius like you do it for me?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.