New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  13:45:56  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Yet more good news from the front in the war against theocracy and ignorance. (I wonder, how will Creationists like Dembski spin this final "victory" of their very bad year?):

quote:
School board abandons evolution sticker case

POSTED: 10:16 a.m. EST, December 20, 2006

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- A suburban school board that put stickers in high school science books saying evolution is "a theory, not a fact" abandoned its legal battle to keep them Tuesday after four years.

The Cobb County board agreed in federal court never to use a similar sticker or to undermine the teaching of evolution in science classes.

In return, the parents who sued over the stickers agreed to drop all legal action.

"We certainly think that it's a win not just for our clients but for all students in Cobb County and, really, all residents of Georgia," said Beth Littrell of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The school board placed the stickers inside the front cover of biology books in 2002 after a group of parents complained that evolution was being taught to the exclusion of other theories, including a literal reading of the biblical story of creation.

The stickers read: "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."

. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/20/2006 14:48:46

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  07:03:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
From Red State Rabble:
quote:
Thursday, December 21, 2006

All the News That Fits
Reaction to the Cobb County sticker settlement is coming in from the National Center for Science Education, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the Anti-Defamation League, Georgia Citizens for Science.

Reports on the settlement have been broadcast on the major television networks and in newspapers across the country. The blogosphere lit up after the ruling with posts on the settlement at Pharyngula, Dispatches from the Culture Wars and an uncounted number of other blogs.

There are a couple of places where you won't find out about the settlement.

The intelligent design wing of the blogosphere is maintaining radio silence -- as is its want following major defeats -- on the settlement.

While you can't read anything at all about the Cobb County settlement at William Dembski's Uncommon Descent blog, you can learn a great deal about the dangers of blasphemy, "a sin for which no forgiveness can be attained and for which the penalty is eternity in hell?"
Gettin' better'n better!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  07:47:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red State Rabble

...at William Dembski's Uncommon Descent blog, you can learn a great deal about the dangers of blasphemy, "a sin for which no forgiveness can be attained and for which the penalty is eternity in hell?"
Ohhh!
Sounds scientific. Is there a "Theory Of Basphemy"?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  00:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dembski may as well put a bone through his nose and blow red ochre dust at his enemies. Better yet, that demon-haunted primitive ought to just blow it out his ass. And this is the guy his fellow ID witch-doctors call, "The Issac Newton of information theory"?

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  01:47:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Dembski may as well put a bone through his nose and blow red ochre dust at his enemies. Better yet, that demon-haunted primitive ought to just blow it out his ass. And this is the guy his fellow ID witch-doctors call, "The Issac Newton of information theory"?

After all he does take after Newton's religous nuttiness - that must be the basis for the comparison. Otherwise, if it weren't for Dembski's IDiotic IDeology, I suspect almost no one would have ever heard of them.

I noticed he was associated with a Southern Baptist university. For those who are unaware of the history of this vile branch of Christianity, they parted company with hte regular Baptists over the issue of slavery and have been champions of American Apartheid. A few years ago I heard an interview with a member of a Southern Baptist church who had succesfully fought an attempt by the church to remove her infant great grand daughter's body removed from the graveyard. The church leaders wanted to remove this child after they discoverd her father was of African descent. The Southern Baptists currently publicly advocate the subordination of women.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  02:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Yup, the Southern Baptists are not only reactionary bigoted creeps, but extremely numerous, to boot. Wiki says of their numbers:
quote:
The SBC is the largest Baptist group in the world and the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, claiming more than 16.3 million members, and it's the second largest religious group in the United States, after the Roman Catholic Church (63.1 million).
And not only are they ultraconservative, they are getting worse, rather than moderating. The women's subservience you mention was enacted by the SBC in 1998!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  04:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
AiG's comments on the topic:
quote:
Executive director of the ACLU of Georgia, Debbie Seagraves said, “It's absolutely a victory for the parents and the children in Cobb County school.”2 It's definitely a victory for humanism and censorship, but it is not a victory for science or for parents or their children who are being told they cannot question or challenge evolution in the classroom. This should make us all more aware of the important role that parents play in educating their children. We need to help our children understand that the Bible—the history book of the universe, the unchanging Word of God—is the ultimate authority for interpreting the science being presented in the classroom today.

History book of the universe? Yeah, right! The odd thing is that AiG is entirely young-earthers who don't agree with the vague "designer" proposed by ID conjecture. "Any port in a storm," eh?

And over at Dembski's intellectual haitus, he's offering to pay money to anyone who comes up with derogatory videos concerning Dawkins with a bonus for having it filled with fart sounds. Really classey bunch, those IDers...
quote:
Flash Animation Contest: “There is no God and Richard is his prophet”
by William Dembski on December 22nd, 2006 · 10 Comments
I'm considering offering $250 for the winning entry in a flash animation contest. I'd like the flash animation to incorporate the following elements:

(1) Portray Richard Dawkins as a cult deprogrammer.
(2) Portray a 7-year old Stephen Colbert as the theist he must convert to atheism. (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXpysYEhgA and below)
(3) Employ 10 classic Dawkins quotes.
(4) No violence.
(5) I'll throw in an extra 100 bucks for a flatulent version of Dawkins (only for private use — maybe).

This needs to be done cleverly and with a light touch. Right now I'm just soliciting ideas to flesh this out.

Sayonara, bitch!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  13:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

I hereby offer to do a custom work of electronic art, and/or work of prose writing, for whoever does the most effective job of portraying Dembski as 1) A "snurf" with a fart-fetish, 2) a flim-flam man posing as a scientist, 3) a raving madman, 4) or any other effectively mocking humorous portrayal. Of course, I do realize that Dembski himself has already done the best possible job of portraying himself in these lights, but he's disqualified by my contest rules.

I am willing to devote up to 48 hours of work in creating almost anything for whoever wins. The prize, if it is a graphic, will be made available online to the winner, by sending him or her a link to it on ImageShack via SFN IM. I will IM the contents any text prize.

This offer is real, and is valid for the next 60 days, but void where prohibited by law. More details may follow.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/23/2006 14:15:37
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  15:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, there's this:

Dembski, a Happy Man with a Fart Fetish!

(This isn't an entry, merely an observation.)

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  17:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Good for you Fil! If the enemy starts using gas, we are forced to use it, too:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7341

As a Brit said after the Germans first introduced lethal gas warfare in WWI:
quote:
"It is a cowardly form of warfare which does not commend itself to me or other English soldiers. We cannot win this war unless we kill or incapacitate more of our enemies than they do of us, and if this can only be done by our copying the enemy in his choice of weapons, we must not refuse to do so."

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/23/2006 17:49:31
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  18:31:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by Red State Rabble

...at William Dembski's Uncommon Descent blog, you can learn a great deal about the dangers of blasphemy, "a sin for which no forgiveness can be attained and for which the penalty is eternity in hell?"
Ohhh!
Sounds scientific. Is there a "Theory Of Basphemy"?

Have you taken the Blasphemy Challenge yet? It's not too late to get your free DVD, "The God Who Wasn't There".

Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/23/2006 18:31:28
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  10:44:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
yay, we won!

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

yay, we won!

You betcha! But the Creationists love to keep repeating whatever doesn't work for them, so expect more such battles.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  23:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Kinda related:

More Idiots

quote:
"Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old. "The information that's being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is. ... The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't in the DVD."

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 01/12/2007 23:12:31
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  23:28:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Kinda related:

More Idiots

quote:
"Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old. "The information that's being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is. ... The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't in the DVD."

By all means, let's make sure our kids don't know the world's getting hot. The little bastards might become Canadian landed immigrants.

And this guy Frosty, he says the world's about 14,000 years old? Where the Hell does that heretic get his numbers? The biblically correct figure is 6,000. 8,000 years in Limbo for Frosty!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.