Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  21:23:31  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
No other forum would really apply, so I'm going to stick this in here. It's a Disney story come true:

Bambi and thumper

Seems as if Disney can get closer to reality than reality TV.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  21:53:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Was there a "licking themselves" scene in Bambi?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  21:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Jeez, Dave. Now somebody will probably say something crass like, "Depends on which version of Bambi you're talking about."
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  22:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Except for the cuddling, I saw such behavior in Aberdeen, Washington, from my living room window. A buck deer sniffed a bunny, just like that. Neat, isn't it?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  04:39:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
That's so cute, I think I just might snap my lunch.....

I wonder if those animals weren't raised together in captivity (actually, I'm all but certain). Juvenile rabbits and deer will often "make friends" under such circumstances. These appear to be young adults (both are European species) and that tells me that they have been together for some time.

It's kinda saccharin, but neat pictures none the less.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  05:56:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I got diabetes from those pictures...
*girlish high-pitched squeal*

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  09:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The bunny and buck I saw were not raised together in captivity. The rabbit was a semi-tame domestic pet, which one of my neighbors regularly let loose to run around. (It was the latest of a long string of rabbits he did this with, each eventually disappearing, probably into the belly of a Canada lynx, or a coyote.) The buck was simply a wild deer, one of several which would walk my my house each morning and evening. The country from my house northward was essentially all wild forest, right up to Olympic National Park.

I'm guessing that such animal pals may be more common than we think.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  13:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
An example of how we are genetically hardwired to find certain images adorable. There are also facial expressions which communicate like the one image where the bunny looks so content. Adorable to the max. I've been arguing on JREF forum that it isn't necessarily wrong to interpret that bunny expression as if human attributes applied. We might even have some matching DNA coding that results in the same expressions, (modified by bunny anatomy of course).

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  13:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think that historically, the pendulum of science swung too far in the direction of paranoia about being "anthropomorphic." I think you're onto something, B. Our instincts are animal instincts, too. How many different ways does a frugal Nature need to evolutionarily code "cuteness," once she's found a workable chemistry?

It's a mammal thing; behaviorists wouldn't understand.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  14:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Oooh! I like that, HM. I may use the ideas in the Randi forum thread.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  14:46:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thank you! Please use it, if it helps. I'm always delighted when I stumble into a clue now and again. A "Drunkard's Walk" may not be an efficient manner of exploring, but it eventually finds places that more thoughtful people would never look into.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  20:04:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Half asked:
quote:
How many different ways does a frugal Nature need to evolutionarily code "cuteness,"

"cuteness" is a function of culture, and is entirely subjective.

Some people probably see those two animals as a 2for1 blue plate special. BANG! Venison steaks tonight and rabbit stew tomorrow!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  05:28:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
No, Dude, cuteness is a function of nature and babies have universally cute features (most of them anyway) in both human and other animal species. I'll find you some of the research.

Other features of attraction may be cultural.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  13:37:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
No, Dude, cuteness is a function of nature and babies have universally cute features (most of them anyway) in both human and other animal species. I'll find you some of the research.

No, "cuteness" is a subjective value judgement.

Humans respond to human faces. We are programmed to recognize human facial features and respond in a nurturing way, especially for infants. Some of that is likely from genetics, but there is also a significant cultural component.

Personally I see those two "cute" animals as dinner.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  17:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Dude, shouldn't you look for the research you must know by now I am referring to before such doubt?

Just because you can eat a cute critter doesn't mean you don't see cute features.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude
Personally I see those two "cute" animals as dinner.
Ok, but could you eat something which you found sexy? That's the question.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.