Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  21:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
After looking at this junk, YouTube offered me this video, which was really refreshingly funny, especially compared to what I had just seen.

Are there any cellists in the house?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  23:12:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
We played that in 6th grade band. I played the drums and I'm tone def, so I didn't really mind.

Good video though.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/09/2007 23:12:25
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  23:39:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Yes, Pachelbel's Canon is repetitive. I remember, however, one of the very first public radio classical fundraisers I did conjures up a good memory with regard to this little Baroque ditty. Every time we aired it during the drive, there were more pledge calls. And you know how important money is. And this was back when public radio wasn't rich.

If you really want to listen to an even older piece that will drive you up the friggin' wall, try La Folia. The guy or gal who wrote that was smart enough not give out his or her name, other than Anonymous.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 01/09/2007 23:40:32
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  05:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
NPR offered its own take on the Canon...
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  06:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I love that piece, especially the cello part. But I can sure understand how boring it might seem to be a cellist playing those eight notes over and over! That guys good. Love how he showed how much popular music has stolen from the Canon.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  06:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Cune, that NPR piece was great, too, TY!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  07:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
This is neither here nor there, but my dad always says - quite enthusiastically, to the disgust of his daughter - that the Canon in D is makeout music!

Edited to add: I can only assume that after the Canon, the couple must then whip out Ravel's Bolero.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/10/2007 07:56:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:26:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That's so true Marf. Listen to your father!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:44:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

This is neither here nor there, but my dad always says - quite enthusiastically, to the disgust of his daughter - that the Canon in D is makeout music!

My sister seems to think it's wedding music.
Great vid, too.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  09:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Great vid, too.

Your sister is right. Nothing helps a bride put one foot in front of the other better than soothing repetition. It was played at my first wedding. However, that didn't work out, so maybe it isn't good wedding music!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  15:00:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:

Great vid, too.

Your sister is right. Nothing helps a bride put one foot in front of the other better than soothing repetition. It was played at my first wedding. However, that didn't work out, so maybe it isn't good wedding music!

Nor did my sister's...

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  18:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:

Great vid, too.

Nor did my sister's...

Knowing how much everyone loves anecdotal evidence, I thought I'd better throw mine in.

That piece was played at our wedding, and things are still great with my marriage. It's only been a little over 10 years though, so maybe it's a slow-acting curse. As a further point, conclusively proving the existence of some deity (I'm not fussy about which), the string trio that played at my wedding were playing in the dining room of a hotel we were staying at on our first anniversary, some couple of hundred kilometres away.

My theory is that it's the horrible music played by DJ's at weddings that causes divorce, murder-suicide sprees and, quite possibly, global warming. That's why I pre-recorded almost all the music for my wedding.

BTW, nice find on the video, Dave.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  23:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Edited to add: I can only assume that after the Canon, the couple must then whip out Ravel's Bolero.

YO! Please forgive me Marfknox, but I'm wondering if, just before
the Ravel that a short Baroque piece by Johann Joseph Fux might be in order?

I'm not sure if Bo Derek likes Fux as much Ravel's Bolero, however.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 01/11/2007 00:01:39
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  01:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Actually, I worked for Pachelbel for 28 years. They are now part of AT&T.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/11/2007 01:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Hey, I like Ravel's Bolero. One of my favorites. Especially amusing when it's blaring so loud as to frighten the neighbours...

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:14:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I love the old "Fantasia"-like cartoon movie, "Allegro Non Tropo." One segment illustrates evolution, starting with an odd case of panspermia. All to Ravel's Bolero.

Another favorite soundtrack is Black Orpheus ("Orfeu Negro" in Portuguese). It's the Orpheus and Eurydice myth retold in the slums of Rio, in the midst of Carnival, and to the tunes of the first Bossa Nova music. Wonderful movie!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/11/2007 07:30:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.