New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  11:08:54  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/staticarticles/article53936.html

Widely reported UFO sighting from last week isnt a UFO after all, heres the initial report from a seemingly reputable witness,
quote:
F-16 fighter pilot Col. Brian Fields, now retired at 61, was at his Van Buren, Ark., home Jan. 9 when just before 7 p.m., he observed two intensely bright lights as he looked to the southeast close to the horizon.

"At first I thought they were landing lights from an aircraft," he said. "As I continued to observe them they began to slowly disappear, then suddenly one reappeared, followed by two, then three. On at least one occasion four or five appeared. Each time they would slowly fade and eventually disappear. This occurred several times and when they would reappear they might do so in differing numbers and in different positions, sometimes in a triangular shape, sometimes stacked on top of each other, sometimes line abreast, etc. When the objects appeared they might stay illuminated 10 or more minutes."

He added, "I believe these lights were not of this world, and I feel a duty and responsibility to come forward."

This story was picked up by the Drudge Report, one of the most widely read news sites on the net.

Turns out it was only parachute flares on a A-10 attack plane military drill. A very normal explanation after all for such an adamant arguement of otherworldliness.

Well the Colonel was satisfied with this explination,
quote:
Officials say the colorful illuminations seen Jan. 9 over western Arkansas came from special military flares that slowly parachuted to the ground as part of an Air Force training mission involving A-10 aircraft pilots at nearby Fort Chaffee, a base used for testing weaponry.

"We were flying A-10s in that area and they were using flares," Jessica D'Aurizio, chief of public affairs at the 917th Wing of the Air Force Reserve at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana, told WND.

but not swayed from the fight...
quote:

Fields, a Christian who originally speculated his sighting might have had something to do with End Time prophecies from the Bible, still wants people to remain vigilant.

"Because this event was explained does not change the fact that we live in perilous times – and we must still be awake, alert, and know that a great deception is still coming."

Sigh, one step forward, two steps back.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  14:15:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

As long as we take one step forward, and don't step back, we'll eventually leave them far behind...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  14:19:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

quote:

Fields, a Christian who originally speculated his sighting might have had something to do with End Time prophecies from the Bible, still wants people to remain vigilant.

"Because this event was explained does not change the fact that we live in perilous times – and we must still be awake, alert, and know that a great deception is still coming."

Even if I am wrong, I'm right! What would aliens, flares, or bright lights over a city have to do with the 'end times' anyway?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  15:06:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis
What would aliens, flares, or bright lights over a city have to do with the 'end times' anyway?

Apart from ET, how many of the aliens from the media have NOT been hellbent on destruction? (I know we are talking Hollywood et al here, but play the game, will you?)

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  15:31:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

Apart from ET, how many of the aliens from the media have NOT been hellbent on destruction? (I know we are talking Hollywood et al here, but play the game, will you?)
Okay.
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Coccoon
  • *batteries not included
  • Contact
  • Starman
  • Dark Star
  • 2001: A Space Odyessy
  • Life of Brian
  • The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
Just a few examples.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  16:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
FWIW, The Monolith destroyed Jupiter and (in the books) has destroyed other star systems.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  18:46:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

FWIW, The Monolith destroyed Jupiter and (in the books) has destroyed other star systems.

That was for "construction" and development purposes, not for being "hellbent".

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  20:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The Vogons used the same excuse.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  20:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
[/quote]
As long as we take one step forward, and don't step back, we'll eventually leave them far behind...

[/quote]

I like that. Yours?

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  21:20:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm trying to just "play the game," and everyone else wants to nitpick.

Don't think I'll forget this. You guys are on my list.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  22:01:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
More:
  • Mork from Ork
  • Kazoo
  • My Favorite Martian
  • the Thermians
  • Leela Dr. Zoidberg
  • Leeloo
  • Pleakley
a whole bunch of the aliens in Men in Black, and, uh, most Vulcans.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  23:14:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I like that. Yours?

Yup. At least I think so. I thought it was a logical (and funny) response at the time I saw the post. However, I can't discount any outside influence, though I was unaware of any at the time.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  23:34:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Superman
Earth girls are easy
The abyss
K-pax (of course he wasn't REALLY an alien, but honorary at least I would say)

But apart from these, what have the Romans ever done for us?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  03:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Two steps forward, one back, BigPapa. Science is unstoppable.

I heard the Saudi Ambassador say at a press conference a few days ago, they were sending their young out to world universities to learn science, engineering, etc, AND "CRITICAL THINKING". That was pretty significant in my mind.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  06:27:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

Superman
Earth girls are easy
The abyss
K-pax (of course he wasn't REALLY an alien, but honorary at least I would say)

But apart from these, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Actually in K-Pax I got the impression that he was an alien at the end, considering that Betty? vanished, Prot was just occupying the guys body.

Id like to add the aliens from Signs as non-hostile because they were so completely inept that they are virtually harmless. Worst aliens ever!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 01/26/2007 06:28:10
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  07:46:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Id like to add the aliens from Signs as non-hostile because they were so completely inept that they are virtually harmless. Worst aliens ever!

My favorite part from Signs is that water burns the alien like acid so these genuises decide to run around in dew drenched cornfields naked.
I can hear them in the fields now:
Awww, Yikes, Dough!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.