Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:37:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I'm obviously having fun here. A search for "university" turns up no entry on its own, but does offer related hits, including this one, which I have copied here because it's hilarious:
quote:
Patriot Bible University is a world-renowned educational institution located in Colorado under the direction of the Hilltop Baptist Church. Although they are unaccredited, this is largely due to secularist and liberal bias in the accreditation process. Patriot Bible University departs from the "Ivory Tower" philosophy in usual academics, and will reward students with credits for life experience as a result. They also have a student body of about 400 correspondence students. Kent Hovind, PHD, is one of their graduates. Kent Hovind is well known for his anti-tax activism and his discovery of a plesiosaur near Japan, and his education at Patriot Bible University is thought to have been a major factor in both regards.

Students at Patriot Bible University can take courses not typically offered at a mainstream secular institution, such as: BI 402 -- Understanding the Personality of God, BI 405 -- Christian Warfare, E 212 -- Sunday School Growth, PM 111 -- Following God's Will, CM 203 -- Jail Ministry, CM 311 -- Business Management in the Local Church, and SC 701 -- Biblical Basis for Modern Science. Students in the graduate programs have the opportunity to write dissertations and, unlike in conventional universities, those dissertations will be copyrighted by the university to help protect the students from public discourse and scrutiny.
Really-- is this a parody, or a serious entry? If it's the former, it's genius. If it's the latter, it's pathetically comical.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:46:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out atheism. They even have a few spelling problems in it!

It is said that ignorance is bliss. If this be true, then Conservapedia is Nirvana!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:58:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is it about this site that I just can't resist? Here's their blither on plesiosaurs:
quote:
According to evolutionary scientists, who use relative dating methods that rely on the strata fossils are found in, plesiosaurs lived in the Jurassic period and are now extinct. According to creation scientists, who use the Bible, plesiosaurs were created on the fifth day of the Creation Week[2] and lived concurrently with Man. It is also widely held among creation researchers that the leviathan mentioned in the Bible[3] was a type of plesiosaur, specifically the kronosaurus[4].

Like other aquatic animals, according to the Bible plesiosaurs were not taken aboard the Ark during the Great Flood[5]. Because of this, some creation researchers believe that not all of them perished in the Flood and that populations survive to this day[2], hidden beneath the icy waters of seas and deep lakes. The most often cited evidences for this theory are the many modern sightings around the globe of creatures that fit the description of a plesiosaur, the most famous of which have been reported at Loch Ness, Scotland (the so-called "Loch Ness Monster" or "Nessie") and Lake Okanagan in British Columbia (known as "Ogopogo").

Not a hell of a lot of reliable info there, I think.

Alas, I fear this site will soon go out in a gale of impolite and raucous laughter. Might's well have fun with it while we can.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  06:29:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Ok, so I'm obviously having fun here. A search for "university" turns up no entry on its own, but does offer related hits, including this one, which I have copied here because it's hilarious:
quote:
Patriot Bible University is a world-renowned educational institution located in Colorado under the direction of the Hilltop Baptist Church. Although they are unaccredited, this is largely due to secularist and liberal bias in the accreditation process. Patriot Bible University departs from the "Ivory Tower" philosophy in usual academics, and will reward students with credits for life experience as a result. They also have a student body of about 400 correspondence students. Kent Hovind, PHD, is one of their graduates. Kent Hovind is well known for his anti-tax activism and his discovery of a plesiosaur near Japan, and his education at Patriot Bible University is thought to have been a major factor in both regards.

Students at Patriot Bible University can take courses not typically offered at a mainstream secular institution, such as: BI 402 -- Understanding the Personality of God, BI 405 -- Christian Warfare, E 212 -- Sunday School Growth, PM 111 -- Following God's Will, CM 203 -- Jail Ministry, CM 311 -- Business Management in the Local Church, and SC 701 -- Biblical Basis for Modern Science. Students in the graduate programs have the opportunity to write dissertations and, unlike in conventional universities, those dissertations will be copyrighted by the university to help protect the students from public discourse and scrutiny.
Really-- is this a parody, or a serious entry? If it's the former, it's genius. If it's the latter, it's pathetically comical.

I hope Kent did well in CM 203. Can we get a copy of his transcript?

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  12:35:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:

Surely, this must be a cleverly-planted parody! I love it! It makes Patriot University sound just like what it is: A fundy diploma-mill with no academic standards at all. Andrew Schlafly is failing utterly to make NeoCons look like anything but idiots. Is that his real purpose? A little rebellion from his reptiloid mother, Phyllis? Yet, what I find on Andrew by Googling is that he's a very conservative "medical lawyer," who is trying to make a case for a link between breast cancer and abortions. So maybe he's just really, really stupid.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/28/2007 12:35:52
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  04:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://athpedia.de/wiki/Hauptseite

Leider nur 132 Artikel in deutscher Sprache.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  10:53:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

It is said that ignorance is bliss. If this be true, then Conservapedia is Nirvana!

I'm surprised. Its actually fairly positive.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:20:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love their take on the origins of the kangaroo:
quote:
Origins

According to the origins model used by creation scientists, modern kangaroos, like all modern animals, originated in the Middle East[1] and are the descendants of the two founding members of the modern kangaroo baramin that were taken aboard Noah's Ark prior to the Great Flood. It has not yet been determined by baraminologists whether kangaroos form a holobaramin with the wallaby, tree-kangaroo, wallaroo, pademelon and quokka, or if all these species are in fact apobaraminic or polybaraminic.

Also according to creation science, after the Flood, kangaroos bred from the Ark passengers migrated to Australia. There is debate whether this migration happened over land[2] -- as Australia was still for a time connected to the Middle East before the supercontinent of Pangea broke apart[3] -- or if they rafted on mats of vegetation torn up by the receding flood waters[2].
Isn't that just precious?

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some creationists accept Pangea and think it happened in just the few thousand year since Noah's Arc? And they are fine with there being no human records of this? Or is that entry just a parody making fun of creationism?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:36:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I'm surprised. Its actually fairly positive.

Yeh, y'know, I kinda thought so too, in spite of a lack of spell checking. I've since found that there is a lot of sloppy writing throughout the site. Or maybe it's just creative, who-the-hell-knows. Anyhow, here's a real beaut that affirms my faith in conservative blatherskites:
quote:
Fox news
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Fox News was started in 1996 in response to the other cable news channels which all had obvious liberal biases. Because of this, Rupert Murdoch decided to start a real new channel which would tell the truth. The success of Fox news over every other news channel is because it is fair and balanced. [1] It has many people on it who work to spread truth such as Sean Hannity who is a great American. [2]. Fox News is best because instead of just telling you what to think, they only report the news unbiased and then allow the viewer to decide. [3].

In 2005 the White House selected Tony Snow from Fox News to be the new White House press secretary which was a great honor for Fox because it showed how well it was presenting the real truth instead of the fake liberal version. [4]

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  13:00:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the real Wiki, good deal of Conservapedia is written by home-schooled children, as assigned work.
quote:
The project was founded by Andrew Schlafly, the son of conservative commentator Phyllis Schlafly, in response to a claimed anti-Christian and anti-American bias in the articles of Wikipedia. According to recent stories about the site, Conservapedia originated from a project by homeschooled children, with many of its entries created by teenagers as part of a school assignment.[1] In addition to its role as an encyclopedia, conservapedia is also used by Andrew Schlafly's Eagle Forum University. Material for various online courses, for example, on American History, is stored on the site. [2][3][4] Eagle Forum University is associated with Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Forum.[2]
That may account for some of the funnier ways articles are written. (I pity these homeschooled Christian kids. The real world will eat them alive when they are finally released into it.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/06/2007 13:01:57
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  13:04:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Some creationists accept Pangea and think it happened in just the few thousand year since Noah's Arc? And they are fine with there being no human records of this? Or is that entry just a parody making fun of creationism?

I think one can say that Conservapedia is an unintentional parody.

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  13:30:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I love their take on the origins of the kangaroo:
quote:
Origins

According to the origins model used by creation scientists, modern kangaroos, like all modern animals, originated in the Middle East[1] and are the descendants of the two founding members of the modern kangaroo baramin that were taken aboard Noah's Ark prior to the Great Flood. It has not yet been determined by baraminologists whether kangaroos form a holobaramin with the wallaby, tree-kangaroo, wallaroo, pademelon and quokka, or if all these species are in fact apobaraminic or polybaraminic.

Also according to creation science, after the Flood, kangaroos bred from the Ark passengers migrated to Australia. There is debate whether this migration happened over land[2] -- as Australia was still for a time connected to the Middle East before the supercontinent of Pangea broke apart[3] -- or if they rafted on mats of vegetation torn up by the receding flood waters[2].
Isn't that just precious?

Baraminologists?

I just had to look...Wikipedia on Baraminologist:
"In creationism, Baraminology, sometimes referred to as typology or discontinuity systematics, is an attempt to classify proposed created kinds, sets of animals which are presumed isolated from all others.[1]"

and

"Baraminology has not produced any peer-reviewed scientific research,[10] nor is any word beginning with "baramin" found in "Biological Abstracts", which has complete coverage of zoology and botany since 1924. Like all of Creation science, Baraminology is, by mainstream scientists, considered "not science and should not be presented as such."[11]"

However, Conservapedia provides a scientific reference:
"Baraminology -- Classification of Created Organisms", by Wayne Frair, Ph.D, Originally published in CRS Quarterly, Vol. 37, Num. 2, Sept. 2000.

Wikipedia almost had me fooled on that one.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  13:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And look at their entire article on "Science"! It's a brief definition, apparently a quote from a Creationist pseudoscientist. No mention of evidence, repeatability of experiments, or falsifiability of any kind:
quote:
Science
From Conservapedia

A branch of study dedicated to the accumulation and classification of observable facts in order to formulate general laws about the natural world. [1]
[edit]
References

1. #8593; Wile, Dr. Jay L. Exploring Creation With General Science. Anderson: Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc. 2000
Accumulate and classify. That's all science is about? Andrew Schaffly is running a real center of scholarship, he is.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/06/2007 13:41:22
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

And look at their entire article on "Science"! It's a brief definition, apparently a quote from a Creationist pseudoscientist. No mention of evidence, repeatability of experiments, or falsifiability of any kind:
quote:
Science
From Conservapedia

A branch of study dedicated to the accumulation and classification of observable facts in order to formulate general laws about the natural world. [1]
[edit]
References

1. #8593; Wile, Dr. Jay L. Exploring Creation With General Science. Anderson: Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc. 2000
Accumulate and classify. That's all science is about? Andrew Schaffly is running a real center of scholarship, he is.

"Formulate general laws". Don't want anything too specific, or you might have to back it up with more than hand waving.

It is a pretty good definition of Creation Science, I think.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.